User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
That’s not why I was excited. I Got You, Black Magic Woman, Tell Me All The Things You Do, Oh Well, Don’t Dream It’s Over, Hypnotized, Storms, Monday Morning, Free Fallin’, and All Over Again were the highlights.
Cover songs by other artists vs playing your own 50 plus catalog doesn't excite me. The stuff like Hypnotized was mostly dropped because they went over like a lead balloon. They had 10 years without him in the band from 87-97 and they didn't exactly shake things up that much. This current tour is still a set list largely built around the 70's heyday. Plus the Tom Petty tribute is in poor taste when you have several FM members who have passed and they deserve recognition more then someone who did nothing for the band.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks Fan View Post
Cover songs by other artists vs playing your own 50 plus catalog doesn't excite me.
It’s no different than Chicken Shack, Buckingham Nicks, or solo songs. Neil wrote IGY and DDIO. Mike played guitar and co-produced the original Tom Petty version AND Stevie’s cover of “Free Fallin’.” The fact Stevie covered the song puts it in the same category as Stand Back, HAEWAFY, and Go Insane.

Quote:
Plus the Tom Petty tribute is in poor taste when you have several FM members who have passed and they deserve recognition more then someone who did nothing for the band.
Not really. Bringing Mike into the band, pairing him with Stevie, was a way to get Petty Nation out to the shows. No disrespect to Danny or any of the Bobs, but their cultural relevance was extremely limited. Tom’s cultural relevance was more global.

Fleetwood Mac has never existed in a vacuum.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-25-2019, 01:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

Not that it matters, but I also take issue with the Free Fallin' / Tom Petty overkill. Stevie needs to stop talking about him (and Prince). It's not about her!

I love Tom Petty's music. His music has been the soundtrack to my life as much as Fleetwood Mac's has been, really. Been listening since I was a young kid. However I never need to hear anyone sing Free Fallin', especially not Stevie. It really bothers me. She's milking his passing as a huge attention grab and it offends me as a Tom Petty fan and as a FM fan, too. I don't like to use the word "hate" lightly, but I really do hate that they're doing it.

I don't *as much* mind the two (now one) Neil Finn songs added in since the man wrote them himself and no one died, though if I'm paying huge money to see Fleetwood Mac live, I want to hear Fleetwood Mac songs. Not covers. A band as successful as they have been for so many decades really has no excuse to play covers when they have such a deep catalogue. The repetitive setlists is inexcusable to me and comes off as lazy and uncreative.

PS - while we're at it, I don't even like that they played any of their solo songs on the Fleetwood tours. I don't care for Stevie's solo work and therefore would never want one of her solo songs taking a spot on the FM set as they used to do (Lindsey or Christine's either, though I enjoy their solo work more). But since I won't see FM again as long as Lindsey is out, it really doesn't matter anymore anyway!
Old 03-25-2019, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
It’s no different than Chicken Shack, Buckingham Nicks, or solo songs. Neil wrote IGY and DDIO. Mike played guitar and co-produced the original Tom Petty version AND Stevie’s cover of “Free Fallin’.” The fact Stevie covered the song puts it in the same category as Stand Back, HAEWAFY, and Go Insane.

Not really. Bringing Mike into the band, pairing him with Stevie, was a way to get Petty Nation out to the shows. No disrespect to Danny or any of the Bobs, but their cultural relevance was extremely limited. Tom’s cultural relevance was more global.

Fleetwood Mac has never existed in a vacuum.
The issue is that they have more then enough songs in their own catalog to play. If you have to play a cover song to bring in Petty fans then that tells me you were not confident your own catalog would fill the seats with a key member missing.

The Buckingham Nicks SN LB solo songs bothered me too for being in the set. They have 50 years of songs to chose from so play those rather then covers.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:20 PM
Ledgie

I always liked it when they played "Stand Back".

It gave me a chance to buy a beer and visit the men's room, knowing that I wasn't missing anything.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook and I tend to agree.

If anything, LB’s behavior has dramatically improved relative to 35 years ago. Stevie Nicks isn’t easy to get along with either, she’s the one who said she loves antagonizing him and is known for picking fights with him and Mick. Lindsey’s not stupid. I believe if there was some acute reason or altercation he would not be publicly wondering aloud along with his wife about what the heck just happened. I believe he’s truly perplexed among a dozen other emotions. The band has given several different versions. That also suggests to me there was no sentinel event or definitive explanation. Stevie, who gets the most press, hasn’t opened her mouth, which is atypical. She has never held back about Lindsey. I think what happened, occurred between Stevie’s ears. I’ve always believed when Petty died, as she usually does, she made the grief all about her and looked for a way to forge an official public connection with someone intimately related to the lost person. Enter Mike Campbell. I believe she was irrationally fixated on having Mike join FM. I believe she justified and talked herself into it being ok by using her labile relationship with Lindsey. One minute she adores him, the next she hates him, then she resents him, then she likes him, then he is the person she’s known the longest and loved before he had money or fame, the person who would get the first call, etc., rinse and repeat. I think that’s why he’s so surprised. He’s used to her hot and cold. I think that’s why this makes no sense to him or most people. Their dynamic is not new; her ultimatum allegedly because of that dynamic is what’s new. I don’t believe she, after 20 years, said I just can’t take another second of Lindsey. Mostly because she’s the petty one who can’t pick a lane, she is the one who starts and thrives on the drama. That’s the reason for his shock. Nothing new or different happened. That’s why there’s no cogent or rational explanation anyone else can articulate. Stevie justified kicking him out to get Mike with this silly excuse he irreparably offended her during such a solemn moment. I also don’t believe Stevie evolved and had a moment of clarity, like life’s just too short, after Tom died. I think she became even more entitled, myopic, and self focused as if she deserved to have Mike in FM due to her perceived suffering. After MusicCares, she gave the ultimatum and used him smirking during her speech about Tom as the reason. That makes perfect sense to Stevie. He disrespected her and dead Tom, so he deserves what he gets and she deserves Mike in the band because her good friend died and by God she could die too! The fact Chris and Mick were dancing and laughing is irrelevant; they weren’t in her way. In her primitive way of thinking, it made perfect sense. She believes she’s playing homage to the dead and suppresses the fact Tom Petty had nothing to do with FM and she is trampling on a living human being who had everything to do with FM. The bottom line, I believe she felt entitled and demanded to get her way because she has irrational reactions to unexpected losses, while Mick, then the others, acquiesced and followed along due to the oldest reason of all, greed. That’s why they can’t explain it to save their lives. They would if they could as they clearly have no problem throwing Lindsey under the bus. They can’t explain their reason but work hard to justify the decision, failing each time. JMO.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The issue is that they have more then enough songs in their own catalog to play.
Be that as they may, they were never not going to do DDIO and at least one Tom Petty song, otherwise why go through the trouble of getting those guys? They did Dave Mason/Traffic/Delaney & Bonnie songs during the 94-95 shows.

Quote:
If you have to play a cover song to bring in Petty fans then that tells me you were not confident your own catalog would fill the seats with a key member missing.
They didn’t need to do a Petty song no more than he needed to cover “Oh Well” during his shows, but it would have been weirder having Mike and Stevie in the same band and not do at least one of Tom’s songs. And, they knew they were going to lose some fans, which is exactly why they brought in guys with their own proven track records and fan bases.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-25-2019, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I’ve always believed when Petty died, as she usually does, she made the grief all about her and looked for a way to forge an official public connection with someone intimately related to the lost person. Enter Mike Campbell. I believe she was irrationally fixated on having Mike join FM.
My only issue with that is it makes zero sense.

If she needed a public connection with Mike et.al. and Lindsey wanted a delay, wouldn’t it have made more sense for her to go with the delay and do something else with the surviving Heartbreakers?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-25-2019, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think to her though Lindsey had to go no matter what. She has a history of making impulsive decisions like marrying her late friends husband. By bringing MC into FM she thinks she is helping a friend or whatever.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

If anything, LB’s behavior has dramatically improved relative to 35 years ago. Stevie Nicks isn’t easy to get along with either, she’s the one who said she loves antagonizing him and is known for picking fights with him and Mick. Lindsey’s not stupid. I believe if there was some acute reason or altercation he would not be publicly wondering aloud along with his wife about what the heck just happened. I believe he’s truly perplexed among a dozen other emotions. The band has given several different versions. That also suggests to me there was no sentinel event or definitive explanation. Stevie, who gets the most press, hasn’t opened her mouth, which is atypical. She has never held back about Lindsey. I think what happened, occurred between Stevie’s ears. I’ve always believed when Petty died, as she usually does, she made the grief all about her and looked for a way to forge an official public connection with someone intimately related to the lost person. Enter Mike Campbell. I believe she was irrationally fixated on having Mike join FM. I believe she justified and talked herself into it being ok by using her labile relationship with Lindsey. One minute she adores him, the next she hates him, then she resents him, then she likes him, then he is the person she’s known the longest and loved before he had money or fame, the person who would get the first call, etc., rinse and repeat. I think that’s why he’s so surprised. He’s used to her hot and cold. I think that’s why this makes no sense to him or most people. Their dynamic is not new; her ultimatum allegedly because of that dynamic is what’s new. I don’t believe she, after 20 years, said I just can’t take another second of Lindsey. Mostly because she’s the petty one who can’t pick a lane, she is the one who starts and thrives on the drama. That’s the reason for his shock. Nothing new or different happened. That’s why there’s no cogent or rational explanation anyone else can articulate. Stevie justified kicking him out to get Mike with this silly excuse he irreparably offended her during such a solemn moment. I also don’t believe Stevie evolved and had a moment of clarity, like life’s just too short, after Tom died. I think she became even more entitled, myopic, and self focused as if she deserved to have Mike in FM due to her perceived suffering. After MusicCares, she gave the ultimatum and used him smirking during her speech about Tom as the reason. That makes perfect sense to Stevie. He disrespected her and dead Tom, so he deserves what he gets and she deserves Mike in the band because her good friend died and by God she could die too! The fact Chris and Mick were dancing and laughing is irrelevant; they weren’t in her way. In her primitive way of thinking, it made perfect sense. She believes she’s playing homage to the dead and suppresses the fact Tom Petty had nothing to do with FM and she is trampling on a living human being who had everything to do with FM. The bottom line, I believe she felt entitled and demanded to get her way because she has irrational reactions to unexpected losses, while Mick, then the others, acquiesced and followed along due to the oldest reason of all, greed. That’s why they can’t explain it to save their lives. They would if they could as they clearly have no problem throwing Lindsey under the bus. They can’t explain their reason but work hard to justify the decision, failing each time. JMO.
I also think she wanted to be surrounded only be people who would say "yes" to her and Lindsey was the only person left in her life who occasionally said "no." Removing him and replacing him with Campbell meant a tour where no one would dare challenge the queen. All are keen to keep Miss Moneymaker smiling.

It seems Mick and Christine are right alongside Karen at this point: doing whatever they have to do to keep the boss happy in order to keep the money coming.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

This is really interesting. I hadn't really thought about their lies being because they don't understand Stevie and her bouts of temporary insanity. I just assumed it was to protect their images. Maybe it's a combo?
Old 03-25-2019, 10:35 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by g. fish View Post
I always liked it when they played "Stand Back".

It gave me a chance to buy a beer and visit the men's room, knowing that I wasn't missing anything.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I'll give the devil her due there . She really knew what to do with herself and it is paying off to this day.
although actually, a whole lot of her image is due to iconic photos taken by Herbie. Live performances, especially back in the 70s, evaporated into the ether the minute they were done... no one had cell phones, live streaming, etc. Yes there are bootlegs of concerts (a lot of them where she sounds baaaad or drunk or whatever) but those images... he took some fantastic images of her live and backstage etc, and then TAUGHT her a lot about how to be photographed etc. And then of course she stayed up all night on coke taking picture after picture of herself, like Narcissus looking at his reflection....

So yes, her onstage performances and costumes and the romantic lyrics are definitely hers, but in their raw form they wouldn't have gotten her as far. She had a lot of help (as most artists do) in turning the raw material (be that her songs, her image, etc) into iconic stuff. And then Jimmy (with Paul Fishkin and Danny Goldberg) took it the next step with her solo work trying to give her a "harder" edge, a more mainstream sound.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

She was one of my musical heroes. I f'in hate her now.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
She was one of my musical heroes. I f'in hate her now.
We never would've known if you hadn't added this post.