User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Strangely, I agree with this. I didn't like Dave. But the other 3 did a fantastic job. And, THEY DID NEW MUSIC.
I agree. Not the best thing FM ever did, but respectable, solid work.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I agree. Not the best thing FM ever did, but respectable, solid work.
Dave Mason is a great artist. I'm more of a Steve Winwood kind of guy. But, Dave wrote music and sang for a full album. And they knew it wouldn't sell.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
how awesome is this?????? thanks so much for digging it back out and sharing. i still regret not even knowing who he was then, and missing this tour. and The Chain?? how FANTASTIC is his solo version of The Chain?

and now i really want You Do Or You Don't on the Anthology tour. it's on the collection so there's some hope!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-12-2018, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I’m just pointing out the hypocrisy as I see it. And before anyone hits me with the hypocrisy of how they’ve bent over backwards for Stevie, I’ve long thought she should have been shown the door years ago and/or Fleetwood Mac be put on indefinite hiatus for Buckingham Fleetwood McVie. Didn’t happen. I also get that in the years since, the oldest member rejoined and the second oldest survived a cancer scare. And, I had to accept that they’re not doing anything called Fleetwood Mac without Stevie with LBCM. There’s an urgency, now. But then, hasn’t money trumped principle in Fleetwood Mac since Peter Green wanted to give all of their money away?

That said, not a word about the abbreviated version of “Gypsy” in 2014, but it’s somehow a big deal in 2018? It wasn’t as obvious now as it was then that it was shortened for TV?

As for them playing “The Chain” or anything Lindsey was involved with…Legitimate? In all my 23 years on the FM online community, I’ve never heard of anyone having an issue with any of them playing the song until now. It wasn’t an issue with Lindsey doing it in 1993, it wasn’t an issue with Stevie and Rick doing it in 1994, and there wasn’t an issue with Fleetwood Mac calling their 94-95 tour “Another Link In The Chain.” Nor was their ever an issue with Stevie doing her songs from “Tusk” or “Mirage” on her solo tours. Yes, I realize they have since reunited and subsequently gone their separate ways again, but it’s still just a song. What next? Are we going to be pissed that Bob Welch and Billy Burnette continued playing “Oh Well” as solo artists?

The only bad news that can be verified from Ellen is Stevie will still be yelling “And then” during the second verse of “The Chain.”

My biggest gripe is that people think they can accurately judge the new lineup by one singular performance.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-12-2018, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
how awesome is this?????? thanks so much for digging it back out and sharing. i still regret not even knowing who he was then, and missing this tour. and The Chain?? how FANTASTIC is his solo version of The Chain?
It was a great show. I saw him opening for Tina Turner, who I also dug.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-12-2018, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Amen! SteveMacD
Old 09-12-2018, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My biggest gripe is that people think they can accurately judge the new lineup by one singular performance.
My biggest gripe is what they did to Lindsey.

Judging the band is easy knowing that they'll go out
as a second class act because of Stevie. And that has
nothing to do with feelings. All to do with talent.

breaker breaker 19
Old 09-12-2018, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
My biggest gripe is what they did to Lindsey.
But we’re supposed to ignore what he did to them?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-12-2018, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
Amen! SteveMacD
Wow! So many religious people here! Glad what a cover band can accomplish.

I was always a FM Rumours 5 fan. Never care very much about the rest of the musicians who were once part of the band. They’re all dead to me since the day they fired Lindsey. They have lost my respect and support. They’re not the band I used to love and admire.

Many fans here may not have called Lindsey names but they faked admiration since BuckVie and I’m still waiting for them to attend a concert. I prefer to say I don’t like someone (or blatantly hate them) instead of faking tolerance.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, if it's let's say more than twenty years ago.

Time to move on, time to get going, what lies
ahead we have no way of knowing.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Cheat sheet

Ok, here's the thinking that was behind my breakdown of contributions to The Chain. It's mostly based on the outtakes and final cuts and live performances, rather than books or interviews, so if someone can point to credible evidence to the contrary, please correct me.

Stevie
- Lyrics to the chorus
- Title of the song <--Oops, I'd forgotten about that. That warrants bonus points.
- Harmonies on verse and echoes on chorus

Christine, John and Mick
- The elements from Keep Me There (organ; entire song in minor; etc.)
- That bass line
- Those high "still hear you saying" parts (now performed by Sharon and co.)
- Drums

Lindsey
- Bluegrass acoustic guitar (the first 30 seconds of the track, and again in the middle and throughout)
- Lyrics to the verses (I don't have proof from a book etc., but based on the outtakes I always assumed that these were pretty much provided by Lindsey. See my analysis below also.)
- Sings lead vocal on the chorus and the "running in the shadows" hooks
- Distorted guitar solo (last full minute of the song)
- Production/engineering/arrangement (with Ken etc.)
- (Edit) Isn't he even listed first among the co-writers?

Re: lyrics to the verses
- "Listen to the wind blow" etc. -- sounds like "Listen to the wind on the water" etc. to me
- "Damn this damn that" sounds like Lindsey, particularly during Rumours. Stevie has always gone on about how GYOW is too mean and crude, whereas her 'angry' songs (Silver Springs) were more classy or constructive or something
- The verse lyrics are very sparse, hence surely more Lindsey than Stevie
- The way that the verse lyrics are (IMO) a perfect fit with the bluegrass guitar made me assume that he formulated the lyrics organically while noodling, ie using his approach of "music --> lyrics", as opposed to Stevie's more usual approach of "lyrics --> music"

Last edited by DownOnRodeo; 09-13-2018 at 01:30 AM..
Old 09-12-2018, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
What--ultimately was ethically unable to support their cocaine-addled tour of madness lest he have a mental breakdown, but yet he stuck it out for over a year in the studio through their crazy behavior to deliver them their bestselling album since Rumours (and let them use his songs and image, even appearing in a concert with them at one point)??? That's not breaking the chain in my book, unless you're Mick "I like hotel rooms" Fleetwood and touring (in grand style) is all that matters in the whole world. That's removing yourself from a chain that was not just already broken, it was wreaking damage to the members and those around them.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
What--ultimately was ethically unable to support their cocaine-addled tour of madness lest he have a mental breakdown, but yet he stuck it out for over a year in the studio through their crazy behavior to deliver them their bestselling album since Rumours (and let them use his songs and image, even appearing in a concert with them at one point)??? That's not breaking the chain in my book, unless you're Mick "I like hotel rooms" Fleetwood and touring (in grand style) is all that matters in the whole world. That's removing yourself from a chain that was not just already broken, it was wreaking damage to the members and those around them.
E X A C T L Y
Old 09-12-2018, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Many fans here may not have called Lindsey names but they faked admiration since BuckVie and I’m still waiting for them to attend a concert. I prefer to say I don’t like someone (or blatantly hate them) instead of faking tolerance.
To be fair, concert attendance may not be a reflection on admiration for a band member or not but is likely to come down to logistical, family, financial or health considerations instead

Last edited by Angel75; 09-12-2018 at 11:38 PM..
Old 09-12-2018, 11:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I’m just pointing out the hypocrisy as I see it. And before anyone hits me with the hypocrisy of how they’ve bent over backwards for Stevie, I’ve long thought she should have been shown the door years ago and/or Fleetwood Mac be put on indefinite hiatus for Buckingham Fleetwood McVie. Didn’t happen. I also get that in the years since, the oldest member rejoined and the second oldest survived a cancer scare. And, I had to accept that they’re not doing anything called Fleetwood Mac without Stevie with LBCM. There’s an urgency, now. But then, hasn’t money trumped principle in Fleetwood Mac since Peter Green wanted to give all of their money away?

That said, not a word about the abbreviated version of “Gypsy” in 2014, but it’s somehow a big deal in 2018? It wasn’t as obvious now as it was then that it was shortened for TV?

As for them playing “The Chain” or anything Lindsey was involved with…Legitimate? In all my 23 years on the FM online community, I’ve never heard of anyone having an issue with any of them playing the song until now. It wasn’t an issue with Lindsey doing it in 1993, it wasn’t an issue with Stevie and Rick doing it in 1994, and there wasn’t an issue with Fleetwood Mac calling their 94-95 tour “Another Link In The Chain.” Nor was their ever an issue with Stevie doing her songs from “Tusk” or “Mirage” on her solo tours. Yes, I realize they have since reunited and subsequently gone their separate ways again, but it’s still just a song. What next? Are we going to be pissed that Bob Welch and Billy Burnette continued playing “Oh Well” as solo artists?

The only bad news that can be verified from Ellen is Stevie will still be yelling “And then” during the second verse of “The Chain.”

Fans would be more generous if the band’s first foot forward wasn’t anemic covers of classic material. If they’d done something unusual or adventurous—or played a new song—I’d have respected their effort, even if I didn’t like the result (and I might have liked it). But instead, they’ve done what they’ve often done, which is the least amount of work possible. If they’re going to be called a new band, act like one. Citing the conservative approach of previous new lineups as they started isn’t going to cut it this time. The band made a bold move by firing Lyndsey/hiring Mike and Neil: their approach to music making should reflect this. They lost a real opportunity on Ellen. But their decision was sadly predictable.