The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

the '89 show was my first time seeing Stevie. I remember like it was yesterday in my seat with my brother just staring at her mic stand, with all the ribbons, etc. I was mesmerized before the show even started. I also remember looking through that wonderful tourbook and I was just speechless. The show, however, was a tad bit disappointing. Not horrible but not what I had hoped for. First of all, she came out in the boks. Back then, she wore the boots and only the boots so when I saw those I was a little confused. She looked heavy, her hair was an enormous cloud of blond cotton candy and she didn't move at all, except to change clothes. I believe her foot was broken so its understandable why she didn't move but again, I was expecting something different entirely. But, it was magical nontheless for me since it was my first experience seeing her live. Her voice sounded great and she belted out the "And I thought that there was a connection" part on HAEWAFY. I remember the merchandise being really cool, too for this tour.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 09-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Senior Ledgie

I rememeber that this tour was the first where Stevie didn't do the edge walk. It was on the boardwalk in Atlantic City. Very weird set-up, and I am glad that it was there for only that summer. She played at Bally's Park Place, but they had the stage set up on the actual boardwalk. The sides were covered with tarps, but anyone could at least hear the concert. I am not good with dates though, but I do rememeber that this show was after the 2 shows that I got to see at Jones Beach the previous 2 nights. I drove down from Jones Beach after the show and stayed at Bally's. I remember running into Christopher as well in the elevator. He was surprised that I had seen a few shows already on this tour. I was wearing my sweatshirt from the tour and he asked where I got it. I was also lucky enough to have been at both of the Garden State Arts Center shows in September of that year, as well as the show in Phili at the Mann Music Center.

If I am not mistaken, this was the first show on the tour where the tour books arrived. I remember waiting for them to come in and Christopher pulling them out of the box and giving me one of the first ones. I was happy. I think it was also at this show where I gave Stevie a huge painting that I did. It was also at this show that someone I was hanging in the parking lot with, let me hear the extended version of Sara. It was my first time hearing it. I wish I could remember which shows I gave Stevie a few of those dancing flowers that she had on stage with her.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

August 22, 1989 Ottawa Ontario, Canada at Landsdown Park (at that time home of the Ottawa Rough Riders CFL team) It was during the Ottawa Exhibition and Fair. This is NOT the best venue for a concert. It's an outdoor Field with lousy wood bench seats. The stage was almost center field so not a chance to get close for the edge walk. The opening band was The Hooters. Not a bad band but dull as dishwater. It was almost like listening to a recording. They made no attempt to interact or engage the audience.
Then Stevie came out she was so far away you could barley see any detail and my seats were not that far away. She seemed out of it unfortunately and it was said she had laryngitis and spoke very little between songs. And it started to rain. It was not the best show and unfortunately that was the only time she was here until this current tour (which was WAY BETTER!!!). Apparently it is said that after the concert she got stung by a bee backstage ouch! LOL.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=IKV Nexis;842644]August 22, 1989 Ottawa Ontario, Canada at Landsdown Park. She seemed out of it unfortunately and it was said she had laryngitis and spoke very little between songs. And it started to rain. It was not the best show and unfortunately that was the only time she was here until this current tour (which was WAY BETTER!!!). Apparently it is said that after the concert she got stung by a bee backstage ouch! LOL.[/QUOTE]

I bet THAT cured her laryngitis! Screaming in pain at the top of her lungs.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:59 AM
Registered

Saw the tour at The Greek in LA with my best, beautiful friend, Rea, she loved Stevie as much as I did. We got front row, day of the show, Rea had a friend at the box office who hooked us up. Yet, there were like maybe five or so rows before the front row, that bummed us out. Pit seats, maybe? I don't recall the Greek seating very well, just that it was a real kewl venue, a lot smaller than the Forum or the US festival where I'd seen Stevie or Mac on other tours.
I remember 'Two Kinds of Love', 'Alice' and 'Rooms on Fire' as the new songs performed, and I thought they were bad choices, would have loved 'Long Way To Go', 'Doing The Best That I Can' and really almost any other song from the cd. I think 'Whole Lotta Trouble' got done, but I also saw Stevie at the Greek on the 'Timespace' tour and maybe it was done for both tours, or only on 'Timespace', for the Greek shows. I had been looking forward to hearing 'Juliet' live but by the time the tour hit The Greek, 'Juliet' had been axed.
Many costume changes, big shoulder pads, kinda less Stevie-ish and more Alice in Wonderland, somehow. Rea was fixated on Sharon Celani's eyes ("How can you say you don't see those Barbara Bush eyes, she's tripping, totally!") I think those were probably just Sharon's eyes and she wasn't actually tripping that night; my vision was already going by my mid-20s, I think I'd lost my contacts and wouldn't wear glasses to a concert, then. (like anyone was there to see how I looked! Youth and vanity...) I remember Stevie's "I thought there was a connection" ending to 'Has Anyone Ever Written' and Rea screaming "WHAT did she say????"- she just didn't get that ending, at all. I've often wondered if there were any bootleg audios of that show with Rea's loud Greek/Southern accent screaming 'what???' at The Greek Theater at the end of 'Has Anyone Ever Written'...
Rea was mildly pissed cuz she'd given me a bowl of primo pot to hold onto, and when she took out her pipe, I had lost the bowl somewhere between the tour merchandise stands and our seats. Bad of me. I later made it up to her But we were lookin forward to that buzz...The show seemed short. I don't remember The Hooters at all... I wonder if they also were the opening act at the Greek for the Timespace tour, I somehow think so, but don't remember for sure.
I recall some music industry type in his late 30s grumbling to his date as we were walking down that huge hill from the venue to the far away parking lot "That was a lot of nonsense." But Rea and I liked the show and were thrilled to be so close, yet puzzled how front row wasn't front row at The Greek.
(I do recall that I liked the 'Timespace' show at the Greek more than the OSOTM tour, though they were quite similar. I liked the 'Timespace' band a lot and thought the band breathed quite a bit of new life into the by now 'getting to be very familiar' songs and order of when they were performed).
Old 09-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember 'The Hooters' and enjoying their set. They were pretty big when I was in 10th grade (about 1986) and it was fun to hear the songs live. I like the sound of the mandolin and hooter combined with the regular guitar, bass, keys of a rock band. It made them different, and I remember a really large beach ball being tossed around the audience during their set.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
I remember 'The Hooters' and enjoying their set. They were pretty big when I was in 10th grade (about 1986) and it was fun to hear the songs live. I like the sound of the mandolin and hooter combined with the regular guitar, bass, keys of a rock band. It made them different, and I remember a really large beach ball being tossed around the audience during their set.
But wasn't their sound system kind of crappy? Oh, and that WAS me saying woo. God, if only we had known- we could have cried together during HAEWAFY.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks to all of your for sharing your very interesting stories!
Old 09-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
Saw the tour at The Greek in LA with my best, beautiful friend, Rea, she loved Stevie as much as I did. We got front row, day of the show, Rea had a friend at the box office who hooked us up. Yet, there were like maybe five or so rows before the front row, that bummed us out. Pit seats, maybe? I don't recall the Greek seating very well, just that it was a real kewl venue, a lot smaller than the Forum or the US festival where I'd seen Stevie or Mac on other tours.
Did you know that there is video of most of the Greek show?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
But wasn't their sound system kind of crappy? Oh, and that WAS me saying woo. God, if only we had known- we could have cried together during HAEWAFY.
I knew it! You're a woo girl!
Old 09-26-2009, 03:19 AM
Senior Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glittermoondust View Post
I saw this show in Wisconsin..... Alpine Valley I believe........ I remember my husband was in the service so this was the only time seeing Stevie when she wasn't in Michigan.... I remember paying a ticket broker for I think it was 4th row tickets.... I had just had my son about 2 or 3 weeks before and I remember just being so tired and wanting to leave........ I wanted to bring in my big zoom lens camera but figured I would never get it in and low and behold we just walked into the venue--no one even checked us--it was kind of strange actually........ we had a disposable camera but the pictures turned out super dark and Stevie looked like an ant I remember my husband trying to get me to shake Stevie's hand for the Edge walk but I just sat in my seat and was sooooo ready to go home...... having a baby will do that to you sometimes I guess!! LOL! My first up close concert and a chance to shake Stevie's hand and I so wasn't into it I'm pretty sure she sang Juliet if I remember correctly though because that was my very favorite (and still is) OSOTM song and I remember being happy I got to hear it live
Did you have the registration of this show?
If yes I'm really interested,thanks and take care

paolo
Old 10-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I also went to this concert at Jones Beach. I remember thinking the stage, and back drops were really cool. Alice really stands out in my mind, I was glad that she performed that song as it is my favorite song from that album. I also had the opportunity to shake Stevie's hand at this show. Another great time and another great Stevie experience.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw the Sunday night Alpine Valley show - but almost didn't make it because of a weekend-long mandatory geology camping field trip. (Hated that class.) I had tickets with a friend on the same trip, and everything was running late. Of course, the car we needed for the show was waiting back on campus. The poky little professor was driving us all back there in a van, and at one point I think we even discussed hijacking it so we could be sure to make it on time. There must have been a phone in the van - certainly not a cell phone at the time - and we called a radio station to complain about our predicament, and they kindly played "If Anyone Falls" and Rooms on Fire" back-to-back for us. Of course, the prof then announced, "Stevie Nicks? Never heard of 'im." (Somebody got a bad evaluation, as I recall.)
In any event, we did make it to the show. The main things I remember are seeing a lot of older, big-haired women in "Rock a Little" t-shirts; loving the live version of "Gold Dust Woman" from the opening notes - I hadn't expected the drums to sound like that on the song, so different from the album; and the largest mass exodus to the restrooms I've ever seen during a concert once "Alice" started playing. On the other hand, everybody held a lighter during HAEWAFY. Having missed the last Mac tour, I was surprised that Stevie's feet stayed planted in one spot for just about the whole show, and she did not talk much, but I did like the show - mainly just wanted it to be longer.

- Jake
Old 10-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit View Post
I saw the Sunday night Alpine Valley show - but almost didn't make it because of a weekend-long mandatory geology camping field trip. (Hated that class.) I had tickets with a friend on the same trip, and everything was running late. Of course, the car we needed for the show was waiting back on campus. The poky little professor was driving us all back there in a van, and at one point I think we even discussed hijacking it so we could be sure to make it on time. There must have been a phone in the van - certainly not a cell phone at the time - and we called a radio station to complain about our predicament, and they kindly played "If Anyone Falls" and Rooms on Fire" back-to-back for us. Of course, the prof then announced, "Stevie Nicks? Never heard of 'im." (Somebody got a bad evaluation, as I recall.)
In any event, we did make it to the show. The main things I remember are seeing a lot of older, big-haired women in "Rock a Little" t-shirts; loving the live version of "Gold Dust Woman" from the opening notes - I hadn't expected the drums to sound like that on the song, so different from the album; and the largest mass exodus to the restrooms I've ever seen during a concert once "Alice" started playing. On the other hand, everybody held a lighter during HAEWAFY. Having missed the last Mac tour, I was surprised that Stevie's feet stayed planted in one spot for just about the whole show, and she did not talk much, but I did like the show - mainly just wanted it to be longer.

- Jake
Off topic, you have been a student FOR-EVER. What will you do when you graduate???
Old 10-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
Off topic, you have been a student FOR-EVER. What will you do when you graduate???
Collect social security, I suppose.

- Jake