Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Worcester Telegram & Gazette (MA), August 20, 1989

STEVIE NICKS' FANS SHOW LOVE FOR SINGER
John J. O'Connor; Staff Reporter

MANSFIELD MANSFIELD - There was a lot of love at the Great Woods Center for the Performing Arts last night, and it was all aimed at Stevie Nicks.

The blonde performer, whose career hit the bigtime with legendary rock group Fleetwood Mac, knew how to entertain last night's sold out audience of 15,000.

Much of the audience was on its feet before Stevie walked out on stage and many remained standing, dancing or rocking with the performer through her 1:45 show.

The rock star last night performed many songs from her first album in more that three years, "The Other Side of the Mirror." They included "Alice," "Two Kinds of Love," and "Rooms on Fire."

She also performed many of her rock hits such as her Fleetwood Mac "Dreams."

Stevie moved very slowly around the stage while performing and did not seem to have the energy and pep of her backup singers and band.

Between songs, she would disappear behind the stage to put on a new hat or a new top to her basic black dress.

The performer has been known for her love of gauze and lace. Many women in the audience arrived at the show imitating Stevie's outfits.

She did not seem to realize she had such an adoring audience in front ofher until after several songs, stopping to say "thank you."

However at the end of her performance, she moved to the front of the stage and worked her way across the entire platform, smiling shaking hands and accepting flowers and stuffed animals from her fans.

Although her fans were with her all the way, they seemed to respond to "Whole Lotta Trouble" and "Two Kinds of Love," which she performed toward the end of her show.

At this point of show, Stevie also seemed to respond to the audience and looked as if she were enjoying herself.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

St. Louis Post-Dispatch (MO), September 16, 1989

STEVIE NICKS' SPACEY GYPSY SHTICK IS GETTING OLD

Doug Carroll
Of the Post-Dispatch Staff

WHAT DO YOU get when you cross late-period Elvis with Mae West?

You get someone who looks like Stevie Nicks - and, one hopes, is capable of putting on a better show than she did Thursday evening in the Muny's last concert of the summer.

The fact that Nicks drew a capacity crowd to the outdoor Forest Park theater was an attendance stunner matched only by the Cardinals-Pirates game that sold only 1,500 tickets earlier in the day.

Who were these people? Old Fleetwood Mac fans? Folks who couldn't get decent Stones or circus tickets? Gentlemen who prefer blondes? It's hard to say, but Nicks gave them a sappy, lackluster 90 minutes that was long on costume changes and short on just about everything else. Her voice still sounds like someone singing into an electric fan, but that isn't the half of it.

Nicks won't give up her spacey gypsy shtick and has become almost a self-parody at 41. She still dresses much like Yvonne DeCarlo in "The Munsters," and she changed her flowing cape after almost every song, in the grand Liberace tradition. If you're keeping score at home, the colors were red, yellow, blue, white, lavender, white (with sequins), black (with gold dots), aqua and ivory. And don't forget the top hat and tails or the monk-like thing she wore while doing her encore, "Has Anyone Ever Written Anything for You?"

How's this for profound? Before calling it a night, Nicks told the crowd: "On this, the 20th anniversary of Woodstock, I'd like you to remember the ones who are no longer with us. They were poets, priests and legends." Earth to Stevie, Earth to Stevie.

Nicks' band of eight was decent enough. Robert Martin did some nice work on saxophone, French horn and keyboards and sang on the duet "Two Kinds of Love," from Nicks' current album "The Other Side of the Mirror." Peter Michael, Sheila E's brother, contributed a clever percussion solo in which he played drumstick pitch-and-catch with a stagehand. And backing vocalists Sharon Celani and Lori Perry Nicks (a sister-in-law) sinned only on "Rooms on Fire," when they donned red capes to match their leader.

The song list was a curious one, leaving off such solo hits as "Talk to Me," "I Can't Wait" and "If Anyone Falls," yet including Fleetwood Mac standards "Dreams" and "Gold Dust Woman." Nicks' duet hits "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" (recorded with Tom Petty) and "Leather and Lace" (with Don Henley) also weren't heard. A 13-song set is a little on the skimpy side from such an artist.

"Edge of Seventeen," from Nicks' 1981 solo debut "Bella Donna," dragged on interminably when she decided to work the front row, shaking hands and accepting a satin Cardinals jacket, among other things.

The Hooters, a Philadelphia band that hasn't been heard from in a while, opened the show with a 45-minute set that included material from their forthcoming album, "Zig Zag." The group, which has had a few medium hits, is led by a couple of versatile musicians in Rob Hyman and Eric Bazilian but had some difficulty overcoming bad sound.

Readers Respond , September 22, 1989:

It's a real shame that Doug Carroll, as evidenced in his Sept. 16 review, didn't enjoy the Stevie Nicks concert. I think it's more of a shame that he chose to slam the entire audience by saying we must all have been people who couldn't get decent "Stones or circus tickets." He asked, "Who were all these people?" The answer: devoted Stevie Nicks fans.

We all expected to see her and her unusual, ethereal style of appearance and performing that Carroll chose to call "spacey gypsy shtick." I wish I knew what Carroll expected - a gritty, down-to-earth rock show stamped out of the same mold as all the others? If so, I can see why he was disappointed, because Nicks is a creative songwriter and performer with her own style. The gowns, capes and hats that she wore are her signature. A Stevie Nicks show without that would be like Mick Jagger without tight pants.

As for the drawn-out version of "Edge of 17," this is also something expected by her audience. She has carried on this tradition beginning with the "Bella Donna" tour. It's a very giving artist who will take time out from a show to let her fans know how important they are to her. The many people who bring gifts for this rock legend would be very disappointed if they never got the chance to present them to her.

On one point I must agree with Carroll. I would have liked to hear a few more songs. I am aware, however, that Nicks is a perfectionist, and if songs weren't performed, I'm sure she had her reasons.

On behalf of all her fans at the show, I would like to thank Nicks for a fine evening filled with magic and fantasy, and to Carroll, may I say I'm sorry you didn't join us on the other side of the mirror.

Mickie Schwartz-Hodges, O'Fallon, Mo.

I can't remember the last time I've read a rock review as funny and acerbic as Doug Carroll's Sept. 16 review of the Stevie Nicks concert. I attended her concert with my girlfriend, and because of Nicks' many costume changes, we weren't certain whether we had attended a concert or a fashion show.

Carroll's description of Nicks as a cross between Elvis, Mae West and a Munsterish Yvonne DeCarlo was right on the mark. Also, his description of her singing style as something akin to singing into an electric fan was hilarious. Great review. Kudos to Carroll.

Larry Blandino, Florissant

After reading his Sept. 16 diatribe about her concert, I have no doubt that Doug Carroll is not and has never been a fan of Stevie Nicks. Who were these people? I'd say the rest of us in the capacity crowd were and are fans. Her voice still sounds like someone singing into an electric fan? Has Carroll been expecting her voice to change? If he doesn't like the sound of her voice, why on Earth would he go to one of her concerts?

I'd say Carroll was the one who couldn't get circus tickets, or the Post-Dispatch sent him to the concert on assignment. If the latter is true, the Post should make assignments more carefully.

Douglas Romanko, Godfrey
Old 09-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmmm. This thread is interesting. I'm curious as to whether the tour started well and ended badly.... or if there was any other type of pattern? I'm guessing Klonopin has something to do with it. TOSOTM era isn't all too interesting to me but it does mark quite the transition period.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie stood me up on this tour.
And I had some sweet seats!
Old 09-14-2009, 01:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Nevertheless, when push came to shove and it was time to get all hot and bothered, down and bluesy, she turned to a pulsating, riveting, fire-down-below, rock-me-all-night-long "Say You Love Me", another Fleetwood chestnut and the evening's highlight.
WTF? Can anyone confirm that she ever performed that song in concert?I saw her on that tour albeit in California and it was never done here.I don't think she ever has performed it .It would seem nearly as preposterous as Christine performing Rhiannon IMO.

Last edited by BombaySapphire3; 09-14-2009 at 01:53 AM..
Old 09-14-2009, 05:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
WTF? Can anyone confirm that she ever performed that song in concert?I saw her on that tour albeit in California and it was never done here.I don't think she ever has performed it .It would seem nearly as preposterous as Christine performing Rhiannon IMO.
I'm sure she didn't, and that was just a mistake.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Well, it's not only funny that she sang it, but hysterical that it was pulsating, riveting and fire-down-below.

That's why she doesn't sing it in her solo sets more often. She knows she can't always make it that hot!

Have mercy on a poor fool like me.

Michele
Old 09-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, it's not only funny that she sang it, but hysterical that it was pulsating, riveting and fire-down-below.

That's why she doesn't sing it in her solo sets more often. She knows she can't always make it that hot!

Have mercy on a poor fool like me.

Michele
LOL yes it is funny to imagine SYLM with that much passion! Even better when it's Stevie in 1989. I wonder what song they could have confused it with?
Old 09-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailatixela View Post
LOL yes it is funny to imagine SYLM with that much passion! Even better when it's Stevie in 1989. I wonder what song they could have confused it with?
Maybe he meant HSML.

Michele
Old 09-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought both shows I caught at Jones Beach were dull. Every song, every single one, featured a costume change. And what costumes! Shoulder pads up to her ears, satin bathrobes, little hats, big hats, and everything was a different color. Well, it certainly was different. I wonder how many wardrobe mistresses she needed for that tour. Sharon and Lori wore the same black outfits, except for ROF where they put red short robes over their black outfits. I remember thinking something was wrong with Stevie. Oh, and Frankenbocs made their first appearance on this tour. I think I remember 'Alice' being sort of pretty, with the wind from the Atlantic ocean blowing her microphone ribbons.
Funny how that breeze can make a memory for me there, I also have a mental image of her fluttering at the end of the stage in that same Atlantic ocean breeze on the 'Enchanted' tour, during 'Twisted' especially the nice bridge part. The wind blew her billowing gypsy robes, and the ribbons on her tamborine. She couldn't have planned that better.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
I thought both shows I caught at Jones Beach were dull. Every song, every single one, featured a costume change. And what costumes! Shoulder pads up to her ears, satin bathrobes, little hats, big hats, and everything was a different color. Well, it certainly was different. I wonder how many wardrobe mistresses she needed for that tour. Sharon and Lori wore the same black outfits, except for ROF where they put red short robes over their black outfits. I remember thinking something was wrong with Stevie. Oh, and Frankenbocs made their first appearance on this tour. I think I remember 'Alice' being sort of pretty, with the wind from the Atlantic ocean blowing her microphone ribbons.
Funny how that breeze can make a memory for me there, I also have a mental image of her fluttering at the end of the stage in that same Atlantic ocean breeze on the 'Enchanted' tour, during 'Twisted' especially the nice bridge part. The wind blew her billowing gypsy robes, and the ribbons on her tamborine. She couldn't have planned that better.
I love that we were both at the same show.

See, I don't remember her outfits being heinous; maybe because it was just a reflection of the times?
Old 09-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
I thought both shows I caught at Jones Beach were dull. Every song, every single one, featured a costume change. And what costumes! Shoulder pads up to her ears, satin bathrobes, little hats, big hats, and everything was a different color. Well, it certainly was different. I wonder how many wardrobe mistresses she needed for that tour. Sharon and Lori wore the same black outfits, except for ROF where they put red short robes over their black outfits. I remember thinking something was wrong with Stevie.
Remember that dorky dance the whole band did as they were kicking off Edge of 17? It was like watching a mambo line form aboard a cruise ship.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
I love that we were both at the same show.

See, I don't remember her outfits being heinous; maybe because it was just a reflection of the times?
I think it was really my own reaction, and not that the outfits themselves were so heinous. She was doing a Victoria's Secret, silky sexy but all covered up look. And I guess, it all went with the whole OSOTM story with it's tinkles and sprinkles and castles. She wore pieces of them again for the BTM '90 tour with FM and also for the '91 'Whole Lotta Trouble' tour.

Janet we might have even sat near each other, can you imagine? Was that you making the "woooooooo!!!!!!" noise every time Stevie rattled her half-moon tambo? Come on, you can tell me...
Old 09-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Remember that dorky dance the whole band did as they were kicking off Edge of 17? It was like watching a mambo line form aboard a cruise ship.
David was the dorky dance on that tour? I thought the dorky dance was during 'Whole Lotta Trouble' 2 years later, on the tour of the same name. I remember being so embarrassed for the singers, they looked like they hated it.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw this show in Wisconsin..... Alpine Valley I believe........ I remember my husband was in the service so this was the only time seeing Stevie when she wasn't in Michigan.... I remember paying a ticket broker for I think it was 4th row tickets.... I had just had my son about 2 or 3 weeks before and I remember just being so tired and wanting to leave........ I wanted to bring in my big zoom lens camera but figured I would never get it in and low and behold we just walked into the venue--no one even checked us--it was kind of strange actually........ we had a disposable camera but the pictures turned out super dark and Stevie looked like an ant I remember my husband trying to get me to shake Stevie's hand for the Edge walk but I just sat in my seat and was sooooo ready to go home...... having a baby will do that to you sometimes I guess!! LOL! My first up close concert and a chance to shake Stevie's hand and I so wasn't into it I'm pretty sure she sang Juliet if I remember correctly though because that was my very favorite (and still is) OSOTM song and I remember being happy I got to hear it live

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!