Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-12-2002, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Ebay

Hello everybody. Last week I registered at ebay Germany and saw that somebody sells "Gift of screams" (sic) of LB. As this auction was finished for about 15 Dollars (=Euros) he started another auction, which now is round about ca 26 Dollars (and still to go 3 days). I got "Gift of screws" also like probably all of you (I downloaded it at Audiogalaxy)- but trading with someone elses work that I received through the Internet... (because I couldn`t buy it)? Am I too old/unfashioned- I don`t feel comfortable about something like that. Trading and sharing with other fans is something different, but making money with that... ? Isn`t that illegal anyway to trade with bootlegs...? What do you feel about it? Thanks for posting your opinions, Stefan
Old 12-12-2002, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm with you Stefan... it certainly is a moral grey area, to download songs at all.... but I definitely feel it's completely wrong to make money off of unreleased material.
It's one thing to share the music with others, but to make a profit off of it, at the expense of the artist, is pretty heinous.

I also feel it's wrong of a "fan" to bipass buying a greatest hits collection, by downloading any new or rare tracks.
If you want them that bad, then buy the official release.

If you care at all about an artist's music, then one would assume that you'd not want to take money out of their pocket (how ever rich they might seem from your standpoint, this IS the person's livelyhood).

I definitely hope that anyone who downloads "Thrown Down," or any other tracks that might potentially leak from the new album, will also buy the official release when it's available.

To me, it seems only right.

Johnny Stew (who was first in line on the morning 'Trouble In Shangri-La' was released, even though he'd had the entire album for a month prior)
Old 12-13-2002, 04:25 AM
Senior Ledgie

Selling the album as "Gift Of Screams" (funny title, though ) also says a lot about the seller´s interest in the music itself

I agree with all the things said above, and I´d like to add one thing... I am a bit old-fashioned perhaps when it comes to downloading OFFICIAL albums instead of buying them... of course it is a great thought to have a perfect digital copy of an album for free but somehow I miss the artwork, the "complete package" that comes with an album. Then again, that might be a left-over from the days when I bought albums or CD´s and the best you could get was a copy of it on *tape* and burning your own CD´s wasn´t an option at all. (And I´m not THAT old at all! Time passes by so quickly! ) Even then, the tape copy wasn´t like the "real thing"... I somehow always ended up with buying the albums myself that I really loved by having listened to the tape copy first.

But of course, let´s not talk about the prices for CD´s... that´s another subject.
Old 12-14-2002, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Street Angel
...but somehow I miss the artwork, the "complete package" that comes with an album...
Not just the artwork, also the other goodies that come with CDs nowadays. e.g. Detailed/"exclusive" inside booklet, additonal VCD or DVD, "enhanced CD" like VBOFM etc etc....which STILL doesn't justify the ridicuous prices, but at least it makes them more bearable.