User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Then stay the f**k away from a live Allman Bros album...

...and by the way...YES, YOU DO NEED TO HEAR 15 MINUTES OF "GREEN MANALISHI"....over & f**king over until you start to appreciate the intricacies of each note.

And, that goes for the 25+ minute versions of "Rattlesnake Shake" on the Live At The Boston Tea Party albums, too.

Preach brother, preach!

While I have no idea why the 1999 CD version of "Live in Boston Vol. 3" is no longer in print, every Fleetwood Mac fan, and I mean post '74 (including the post LB years), needs to hear "Jumping At Shadows" (the Vol. 3 version). In a very short four and a half minutes, Peter Green displays why the original band were... outstanding.

If you pass that test, then you need to hear "If You Let Me Love You", on the same CD.

Last edited by slipkid; 05-02-2010 at 11:45 PM..
Old 05-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Then stay the f**k away from a live Allman Bros album...

...and by the way...YES, YOU DO NEED TO HEAR 15 MINUTES OF "GREEN MANALISHI"....over & f**king over until you start to appreciate the intricacies of each note.

And, that goes for the 25+ minute versions of "Rattlesnake Shake" on the Live At The Boston Tea Party albums, too.
WOW...!!
...and without smileys too.

hahaha
Old 05-03-2010, 02:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey, any PG Fleetwood Mac fans willing to do a critique of the Rumours years?
We'll post it in the Rumours section, of course...
Old 05-03-2010, 05:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Maybe I should just go out and buy the rope now - it would be quicker
Old 05-04-2010, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Maybe I should just go out and buy the rope now - it would be quicker
chiliD is going to have words with me on this, but I stand by what I type. You have no idea how good those long Peter Green FM jams are. Compared to the Grateful Dead in 1970, (one of their peak periods), FM blew them away on the same bill in New Orleans. In fact that was where FM recorded "I've Got a Good Mind to Give Up Living" , that's now featured on Youtube. Compared to the Allman Brothers (at times, not always), FM didn't noodle riff jam (I.E. stuck in a rut, this was Cream's problem at times). Fleetwood Mac in 1969/1970 were the perfect jam band. Not that I have a lot of love for Aerosmith, yet Joe Perry always talks about how Fleetwood Mac (with Peter Green) took blues rock to another level. Notice he didn't name Jimmy Page.

The problem is current jam bands know only of three; The Allmans, the Grateful Dead, and Phish. I can't stand the current jam band scene except for the Allman influenced bands (Widespread Panic, Gov't Mule).
Old 05-04-2010, 05:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Unfortunately jamming just doesn't do it for me and never has. Sure I appreciate that Peter Green was a fantastic guitarist and the occasional extended track is ok in small doses. I have listened to tracks like On We Jam, Encore Jam, etc probably once since I bought the 3 Boston albums.

It is like going to see a painting by a famous artist - nice to look at, you can admire it, but then you don't need to keep going back to see it regularly - you've already seen it.

Sorry
Old 05-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Unfortunately jamming just doesn't do it for me and never has. Sure I appreciate that Peter Green was a fantastic guitarist and the occasional extended track is ok in small doses. I have listened to tracks like On We Jam, Encore Jam, etc probably once since I bought the 3 Boston albums.

It is like going to see a painting by a famous artist - nice to look at, you can admire it, but then you don't need to keep going back to see it regularly - you've already seen it.

Sorry

Piss poor attitude.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default extended jame past and present

I can tell you first hand that I have witnessed jams from the Dead the Alman brothers Quicksilver Messenger Service, Canned Heat, Santana, Jimi Hendrix, The Jefferson Airplane, CSNY but not since 73

by 72 I had my fill of endless meandering but when a band was on it was something

doodyhead
Old 05-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The only bands that CONSISTENTLY were/are good at the "extended jams":

Allman Bros Band
Little Feat

They rarely "meander", always have exciting peaks & valleys of dynamics and most always have a "point" to their jams....even to this day, despite personnel changes.

Groups like Jefferson Airplane, QMS & CSNY just kind of got caught up in that whole "extended jam" scene that was happening in the late 60's/early '70s...they never really were good at it, except on rare occasions. Even the so called "masters" of the extended jam, The Grateful Dead were so incredibly inconsistent...either they were on or not....IMO, mostly "not"...but the bad nights made the good nights that much more special.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The only bands that CONSISTENTLY were/are good at the "extended jams":

Allman Bros Band
Little Feat

They rarely "meander", always have exciting peaks & valleys of dynamics and most always have a "point" to their jams....even to this day, despite personnel changes.

Groups like Jefferson Airplane, QMS & CSNY just kind of got caught up in that whole "extended jam" scene that was happening in the late 60's/early '70s...they never really were good at it, except on rare occasions. Even the so called "masters" of the extended jam, The Grateful Dead were so incredibly inconsistent...either they were on or not....IMO, mostly "not"...but the bad nights made the good nights that much more special.
What about FM?

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Other than the extended "Green Manalishi" & "Rattlesnake Shake"s, they really didn't go off on "jams"....sure there are those two free-form things on the end of the Tea Party discs, but those were when "guests" were sitting in (Joe Walsh, Eric Clapton (supposedly))....but, there reluctance to REALLY jam was one of the reasons, it seems (from reading Celmins' bio on Green, and a few more recent interviews), why Peter decided to leave the band.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
You have no idea how good those long Peter Green FM jams are. Compared to the Grateful Dead in 1970, (one of their peak periods), FM blew them away on the same bill in New Orleans.
Agreed! Those long jams are amazing. Always found Green Manalishi a bit boring, though. Much prefer the Madge jams.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Agreed! Those long jams are amazing. Always found Green Manalishi a bit boring, though. Much prefer the Madge jams.
If there's any evidence in "noodling" with FM it was the Fender Bass VI live jams at the end of "Green Manalishi". I tend to ignore, or forget that because Peter Green isn't playing guitar. Yet, it's similar to Berry Oakley's bass solo in "Mountain Jam". The Allmans loved to pull out that slide solo/Dickey Betts trill lick a lot to carry a couple measures ("Whipping Post", " In Memory of Elizabeth Reed").

With "Rattlesnake Shake" it's pure jam.

It starts with the original song, then comes the extended Peter Green solo (always inventive, never derivative), later comes the "Madge Jam" sequence at a faster tempo. After that is the dual guitar face off with harmonized guitars (done before the Allmans were "famous"). From that it goes into the "Underway" section. This is where Peter Green shows he was just as accomplished as Jeff Beck, or Jimi Hendrix in terms of controlling tone, and volume. Again, Peter Green was a master of dynamics, and using volume to achieve surprise. Finally, the jam drifts into a bit of "space", they find their bearings, and the final intense jam push arises. To end this great piece of work, Peter Green uses one of the greatest rock riffs I will ever hear in my lifetime (it's heard faintly at the end of the studio version of RS).
Old 05-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
...After that is the dual guitar face off with harmonized guitars (done before the Allmans were "famous").
Yes, true, however, those type of jams on "Rattlesnake Shake" (or in the sessions for Then Play On) didn't occur until AFTER Peter had met & jammed with Duane Allman (and the Grateful Dead----during those late 69/early 70 triple bill shows of Fleetwood Mac/Allman Bros Band/Grateful Dead)
Old 05-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, true, however, those type of jams on "Rattlesnake Shake" (or in the sessions for Then Play On) didn't occur until AFTER Peter had met & jammed with Duane Allman (and the Grateful Dead----during those late 69/early 70 triple bill shows of Fleetwood Mac/Allman Bros Band/Grateful Dead)
Mmm, yes something pulled the trigger, and I think e.g. Santana contributed to that...

/z