Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Ledgie

Default Let's all cast "Rumours: The Movie"

I think the making of Rumours could be great subject for a damn compelling movie. The story behind the making of it is so famous I can't believe it's not been done already.

Who could play the parts? I reckon Bradley Cooper would be a good fit for Lindsey Buckingham and Katie Sackhoff would be an interesting and leftfield choice for Stevie Nicks. David Tennant could make a believable John McVie and Sophia Myles could be Christine McVie. Throw in Liam Neeson as Mick Fleetwood and that's a hell of a cast you've got right there.

The most logical director who springs to mind to make it? Probably Martin Scorcese. He's quite big on 70's music and directed the excellent Rolling Stones documentary Shine A Light. It seems right up his street. The only thing I'd worry about is him trying to shoehorn Leonardo DiCaprio into one of the main roles. However, I wouldn't mind seeing DiCaprio in a supporting role as a studio exec or something.

The film could start as they are getting back from touring the Fleetwood Mac album and are going into the studio to start Rumours. Then of course all the problems kick off with the personal relationships disintegrating, the drugs, the excess and all of that. Really concentrate on the human drama of everything. Of course, it will end with Rumours being released and being a critical and commercial smash. Before the end credits there is a title card briefly explaining the rest of the band's history up till present day - and ends with ACTUAL footage of the REAL band playing The Chain live to an audience. Cue end credits.

I personally think there is really something there. What about you guys?
Old 01-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenStu View Post
I think the making of Rumours could be great subject for a damn compelling movie. The story behind the making of it is so famous I can't believe it's not been done already.

Who could play the parts? I reckon Bradley Cooper would be a good fit for Lindsey Buckingham and Katie Sackhoff would be an interesting and leftfield choice for Stevie Nicks. David Tennant could make a believable John McVie and Sophia Myles could be Christine McVie. Throw in Liam Neeson as Mick Fleetwood and that's a hell of a cast you've got right there.

The most logical director who springs to mind to make it? Probably Martin Scorcese. He's quite big on 70's music and directed the excellent Rolling Stones documentary Shine A Light. It seems right up his street. The only thing I'd worry about is him trying to shoehorn Leonardo DiCaprio into one of the main roles. However, I wouldn't mind seeing DiCaprio in a supporting role as a studio exec or something.

The film could start as they are getting back from touring the Fleetwood Mac album and are going into the studio to start Rumours. Then of course all the problems kick off with the personal relationships disintegrating, the drugs, the excess and all of that. Really concentrate on the human drama of everything. Of course, it will end with Rumours being released and being a critical and commercial smash. Before the end credits there is a title card briefly explaining the rest of the band's history up till present day - and ends with ACTUAL footage of the REAL band playing The Chain live to an audience. Cue end credits.

I personally think there is really something there. What about you guys?

I think it hasn't been made because the band doesn't want it made. Well, Stevie certainly has been vociferous in her opposition. It seems her objection is she doesn't want the "bad" stuff depicted, which is kinda nonsense but there ya go. I haven't ever heard the rest of the band say anything about it. Though Stevie does say to Mick in her documentary that Reese Witherspoon will play her "when they make the movie about us". So maybe deep down she realizes it's inevitable.....

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 01-10-2014 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: brain fart
Old 01-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I think it hasn't been made because the band doesn't want it made. Well, Stevie certainly has been vociferous in her opposition. It seems her objection is she doesn't want the "bad" stuff depicted, which is kinda nonsense but there ya go. I haven't ever heard the rest of the band say anything about it. Though Stevie does say to Mick in her documentary that Reese Witherspoon will play her "when they make the movie about us". So maybe deep down she realizes it's inevitable.....

and btw don't forget Scorcese did the film about Tom Petty-- Runnin' Down a Dream.
CORRECTION: The great Peter Bogdanovich directed Runnin' Down a Dream, not the now-awful Scorsese.

To which point, I met Peter Bogdanovich on Monday night but didn't think of mentioning the Mac to him despite his work on that documentary. That said, I was also 2 feet from Bradley Cooper and wanted to see how he would feel about playing Lindsey Buckingham, but when I turned around, he was gone...

So my picks are currently:

Steven Strait for Lindsey (I'll settle for Bradley Cooper)
Jennifer Lawrence for Stevie
Sally Hawkins for Christine (I'll settle for Vera Farmiga)
An animated Shreck figure for Mick
Some british guy who looks like a santa elf to play John

And I would want John Boorman to direct. (I would settle for Peter Bogdanovich or David O Russell)

And the movie would be called Dreams.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 01-10-2014 at 01:12 PM..
Old 01-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
CORRECTION: The great Peter Bogdanovich directed Runnin' Down a Dream, not the now-awful Scorsese.

To which point, I met Peter Bogdanovich on Monday night but didn't think of mentioning the Mac to him despite his work on that documentary. That said, I was also 2 feet from Bradley Cooper and wanted to see how he would feel about playing Lindsey Buckingham, but when I turned around, he was gone...

So my picks are currently:

Steven Strait for Lindsey (I'll settle for Bradley Cooper)
Jennifer Lawrence for Stevie
Sally Hawkins for Christine (I'll settle for Vera Farmiga)
An animated Shreck figure for Mick
Some british guy who looks like a santa elf to play John

And I would want John Boorman to direct. (I would settle for Peter Bogdanovich or David O Russell)
Thank you TrueFaith77 I was just about to go in and edit my post. Brain fart.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:31 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Stevie certainly has been vociferous in her opposition. It seems her objection is she doesn't want the "bad" stuff depicted, which is kinda nonsense but there ya go. I haven't ever heard the rest of the band say anything about it. Though Stevie does say to Mick in her documentary that Reese Witherspoon will play her "when they make the movie about us". So maybe deep down she realizes it's inevitable.....
I understand her attitude. But the bad stuff that went on is really no secret. Not only that, nobody has lost any respect for Nicks nor thinks of her as a bad person for it. I think I can speak for most people when I say that.

Don't want to see Reese Witherspoon do the part. Not that she's a bad actress or anything it's just that she's already played a famous singer and won an oscar for it in Walk The Line

A decent movie about the making of Rumours would be a true triumph over adversity story.

As for you saying the rest of the band haven't said anything about it... I think I read an interview with Mick Fleetwood where he said he thinks it would make an interesting stage play.

Last edited by ChickenStu; 01-11-2014 at 10:07 AM..
Old 01-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenStu View Post
I understand her attitude. But the bad stuff that went on is really no secret. Not only that, nobody has lost any disrespect for Nicks nor thinks of her as a bad person for it. I think I can speak for most people when I say that.

Don't want to see Reese Witherspoon do the part. Not that she's a bad actress or anything it's just that she's already played a famous singer and won an oscar for it in Walk The Line

A decent movie about the making of Rumours would be a true triumph over adversity story.

As for you saying the rest of the band haven't said anything about it... I think I read an interview with Mick Fleetwood where he said he thinks it would make an interesting stage play.

Well, I don't think Stevie's against people finding out the bad stuff. I think her opinion is that people already KNOW the bad stuff so it doesn't need to be rehashed a million times. Regarding writing a book, she's basically said if you want to hear about all the conflicts and drama you can read every article published for the last 35 years. She wants to talk about the pleasant moments that haven't been shared and don't get talked about as much.

I've never heard her say she didn't want a movie because it would put them in a bad light or anything. But I have heard her say she don't want a movie because she was scared it would be the end and she would die right after it came out
Old 01-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Technology Tell [this seems to have been written a few months back, but was just published today, from what I can tell]

http://www.technologytell.com/entert...rumours-movie/

Why Has There Never Been a “Rumours” Movie?

by Stephen Silver on January 10, 2014 at 9:53 am

With Fleetwood Mac reuniting once again earlier this week for a performance at CES in Las Vegas, I got to thinking- why has there never been a feature film/biopic about the making of “Rumours“?

We all know the story: As the band members were all breaking up with each other in the mid-’70s, they came together and produced one of the greatest albums of all time, consisting of such classic songs as “Secondhand News,” “You Make Loving Fun,” “Dreams,” “Never Going Back Again,” and “Go Your Own Way.” One song on the record, “Don’t Stop,” even helped Bill Clinton get elected in 1992:

Yet for all of the music biopics that have been made in the ensuing four decades, for some reason there’s never been a feature film about this story, one of the most iconic in music history and one full of good stories and great, great music.As Chuck Klosterman once quoted a friend of his as saying of Lindsey Buckingham, “what kind of asshole forces his ex-girlfriend to sing background vocals on a song that accuses her of being a slut?”

The closest we’ve come is a 1977 concert documentary called “The Rosebud Film.” That, and there was a “Rumours”-themed episode of Glee in 2011. Lindsay Lohan a few years ago expressed interest in playing Stevie Nicks in a biopic; Nicks replied with “over my dead body. She needs to stop doing drugs and get a grip.” Earlier this year, Reese Witherspoon was mentioned as possibly playing Stevie, but the singer dismissed the 37-year-old Reese as “over the hill.”

I think it’s time. For one thing, Jennifer Lawrence was absolutely born to play Stevie Nicks. There’s enough of a physical resemblance, she’s the right age, and as we learned in “American Hustle,” J. Law is quite believable at playing a crazy person in the ’70s. Not sure if she can sing, but she can certainly learn.

Lindsay Buckingham? I suppose Bill Hader continuing his silent impression is out of the question; when I brought this up on Facebook, my colleague Pete Croatto suggested Bradley Cooper. That could work, but Lawrence and Cooper would probably also mean David O. Russell directing, and there’s no way that’s a good idea. Justin Timberlake is a possibility for Buckingham as well, although I wouldn’t be able to stop picturing him as Robin Gibb.

I agree with Pete’s pick of Adam Driver- who we know can sing and play guitar- as John McVie. Christine McVie? I was going to suggest Carrie Underwood, but we all saw “Sound of Music…” Vera Fermiga was cast as McVie in a since-abandoned biopic of Dennis Wilson called “The Drummer,” so let’s give her another chance.

For Mick Fleetwood I’m seeing someone quirky. Maybe Paul Dano, or Ben Foster, or maybe even Jason Schwartzman, who really is a drummer.

Of course, there might be a good reason for no “Rumours” movie- perhaps none of these people, the ones who wrote and control the music rights, are especially eager to revisit an unhappy and traumatic chapter in their lives. Then again, four of them (everyone but Christine McVie) still agree to perform together, with their exes from four decades ago, so what’s one movie?

Last edited by michelej1; 01-10-2014 at 03:22 PM..
Old 01-10-2014, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Technology Tell [this seems to have been written a few months back, but was just published today, from what I can tell]

http://www.technologytell.com/entert...rumours-movie/

Why Has There Never Been a “Rumours” Movie?

by Stephen Silver on January 10, 2014 at 9:53 am

With Fleetwood Mac reuniting once again earlier this week for a performance at CES in Las Vegas, I got to thinking- why has there never been a feature film/biopic about the making of “Rumours“?

We all know the story: As the band members were all breaking up with each other in the mid-’70s, they came together and produced one of the greatest albums of all time, consisting of such classic songs as “Secondhand News,” “You Make Loving Fun,” “Dreams,” “Never Going Back Again,” and “Go Your Own Way.” One song on the record, “Don’t Stop,” even helped Bill Clinton get elected in 1992:

Yet for all of the music biopics that have been made in the ensuing four decades, for some reason there’s never been a feature film about this story, one of the most iconic in music history and one full of good stories and great, great music.As Chuck Klosterman once quoted a friend of his as saying of Lindsey Buckingham, “what kind of asshole forces his ex-girlfriend to sing background vocals on a song that accuses her of being a slut?”

The closest we’ve come is a 1977 concert documentary called “The Rosebud Film.” That, and there was a “Rumours”-themed episode of Glee in 2011. Lindsay Lohan a few years ago expressed interest in playing Stevie Nicks in a biopic; Nicks replied with “over my dead body. She needs to stop doing drugs and get a grip.” Earlier this year, Reese Witherspoon was mentioned as possibly playing Stevie, but the singer dismissed the 37-year-old Reese as “over the hill.”

I think it’s time. For one thing, Jennifer Lawrence was absolutely born to play Stevie Nicks. There’s enough of a physical resemblance, she’s the right age, and as we learned in “American Hustle,” J. Law is quite believable at playing a crazy person in the ’70s. Not sure if she can sing, but she can certainly learn.

Lindsay Buckingham? I suppose Bill Hader continuing his silent impression is out of the question; when I brought this up on Facebook, my colleague Pete Croatto suggested Bradley Cooper. That could work, but Lawrence and Cooper would probably also mean David O. Russell directing, and there’s no way that’s a good idea. Justin Timberlake is a possibility for Buckingham as well, although I wouldn’t be able to stop picturing him as Robin Gibb.

I agree with Pete’s pick of Adam Driver- who we know can sing and play guitar- as John McVie. Christine McVie? I was going to suggest Carrie Underwood, but we all saw “Sound of Music…” Vera Fermiga was cast as McVie in a since-abandoned biopic of Dennis Wilson called “The Drummer,” so let’s give her another chance.

For Mick Fleetwood I’m seeing someone quirky. Maybe Paul Dano, or Ben Foster, or maybe even Jason Schwartzman, who really is a drummer.

Of course, there might be a good reason for no “Rumours” movie- perhaps none of these people, the ones who wrote and control the music rights, are especially eager to revisit an unhappy and traumatic chapter in their lives. Then again, four of them (everyone but Christine McVie) still agree to perform together, with their exes from four decades ago, so what’s one movie?
The person got all the casting wrong, of course, since none of the members of Mac can be adequately portrayed. As Mick said in 1976 (and I'm paraphrasing) "When you think of The Eagles or Chicago, you think of anonymous studio musicians; when you think of Fleetwood Mac you think of live, red-blooded people."

Above, someone mentioned Bradley Cooper as Lindsey. That's actually a great casting choice. Beyond that, I wouldn't know. Mick (who is 6 feet 6) would be difficult to cast, as would both Christine and Stevie.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

J.Law would be great personality-wise for Stevie and she's a fantastic actress. But she looks absolutely nothing like her (what is this "resemblance" these people are speaking of?) and she's like 7 inches too tall. However, I really don't know how much that stuff actually matters to casting directors/the band (potentially). Reese obviously looks nothing like Stevie either and Stevie wanted her, so...

Bradley, on the other hand, was looking VERY Lindsey-esque in parts of American Hustle (probably just due to the dark hair/beard/blue eyes/70s garb, but still). He's also a fantastic actor.

Mick is the one who I can't really think of anyone that would be suitable.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I could definitely see Bradley Cooper as Lindsey. Perhaps James Marsden.

I could see Alison Lohman as Stevie.

Cate Blanchett for Christine.

Mick & John, don't know. Geoffrey Rush would make a great "present-day" Mick, but obviously not Rumours-era.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Amy Adams is looking kinda Stevie-esque in that picture.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wtf hell no to Jennifer Lawrence. She looks absolutely nothing like Stevie, aside from boobs. I look more like Stevie than Jennifer Lawrence that isn't saying much. Bradley Cooper is too muscular, but the eyes are pretty close. My vote for Stevie (and its a long shot, too) is Shailene Woodley. She's a pretty good actress, right age, a little too tall, lighten/fix the hair, fix the makeup... And maybe?

Just a dream, just a dream.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Physical resemblance is one of the last things on my list when it comes to casting choices for films like this. I don't get why that's so important to people. Obviously I don't want it to look pantomime-ish in its inaccuracy, but face it, the actors are never going to look exactly like the real people they are portraying because they are not the real people. It's a movie. It's its own little world. Ability to convey a personality and carry a narrative are what matters in a movie. Unless you're going to bring photos of Stevie into the theatre and constantly compare them to her film counterpart while watching, in which case you're not really watching the film anyway.

Jennifer Lawrence would rock it as Stevie.

I always saw Cate Blanchett as being an awesome Christine, but she's in her mid-40s now. I still think she could pull it off but I don't imagine it'd really fly with people. I think Sarah Solemani is quite Christine-ish in the roles she plays. And she's in pretty much everything on TV these days anyway, so she might as well ride the wave.

I agree with Bradley Cooper as Lindsey, but then, the age thing again. The trouble is it's hard to think of established, serious actors who would be the right age to play Lindsey at that time.

Mick I think would have to be played by someone unknown and out of left field.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:21 AM
Ledgie

When casting a movie based on a true story (or recasting a role for a sequel) I think the trick is not to worry about whether or not the actor resembles the person they are playing... you've just got to look at the actor. Resemblance should be a coincidental and/or superficial matter.

I'd want Liam Neeson to play Mick Fleetwood. The only thing Neeson has in common with him is that they are both extremely tall. However, Neeson has that thing about him that would make him a good Fleetwood. Although Neeson is probably a lot older than Fleetwood was when he was doing Rumours. Could be a problem.

I'd say another good fit for Fleetwood could be Colin Farrell. Movie magic can make people taller or shorter in a film. Farrell has a kind of manic thing about him. I could imagine him doing all the crazy facial expressions behind the drum-kit.

Same with Bradley Cooper as Lindsey Buckingham. They don't look like they were separated at birth or anything - but Cooper has a similar vibe to Buckingham. I was very pleased to see I'm not the only one who thought of it.

Katie Sackhoff (Starbuck in Battlestar Galactica) doesn't look a thing like Stevie Nicks aside from having blonde hair. Yet she has a kind of unique attitude and is attractive in an aggressive way. There's something offbeat about her and that's what an actress playing Nicks would need.

I know I said Sophia Myles as Christine McVie... but whoever suggested Cate Blanchett... that's AWESOME. I'm actually sold on that!

Finally David Tennant as John McVie. He has a similair kind of frame and if they put a little beard on him I reckon he'd be the one cast member who closely resembles the character he's playing the most.

So yeah. That's how I think it should work.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I still think I'd like to see a Fleetwood Mac miniseries. So it can include the whole story. Or at least the 70s - 80s segment.