Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 9 years ago today...

9 years ago today, my dad was on the 31st floor of the Twin Tower with the antenna. Fortunately, he had made it out fine, but others weren't as lucky. That day had changed our lives forever, and I am enternally grateful that he was one of the lucky ones.

You can add me on Facebook
Old 09-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am so glad for your family and your Dad's good fortune. That was a very sad, eventful day for the entire world.

Love, Viv
Old 09-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I never had anyone in that tower. But i still felt the horror. I'll never forget that day

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 09-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

cassie-so glad your father made it out ok.

i can't believe it's been 9 years. i still remember where i heard it, first, thinking it was a joke. or accident. then i remember going into work, and working on a patient (i still remember her name and what we were doing on her). we did a crown and it took us 4 hours because we all kept stopping and watching.

such a horrible day.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Supporting Ledgie

I've had this discussion with quite a few people in the past few years... And I think part of the ongoing tragedy of Sept 11 is that, after that day, America should have changed for the better. It hasn't.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think that, after that day, the scum that were responsible & all their fanatical supporters should have changed for the better. But they never did, either.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I think that, after that day, the scum that were responsible & all their fanatical supporters should have changed for the better. But they never did, either.
Also a good point! I've heard that one as well. It's one of those things that makes a man feel helpless. Like there's nothing you can do to change any of it.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was only 9, so it took a long time for the gravity of the situation to really sink in for me. I remember asking my mom about it, wanting to know how serious the situation really was.... and she just vacantly looked at me. That's when it started to hit me, but I didn't really fully understand it for a while and I'm not sure I do now.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Without a doubt, it was the most surreal day I've ever experienced. It was almost like watching a movie. I, like the whole country, was in shock.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember that day...I was 11 years old and in the 6th grade. I was scared about how everyone was leaving school early (when I found out later on, I was just plain angry over the fact that they didn't think we were "mature" enough to find out what was going on), and I did get pulled out early too by a family friend. Later that day, my dad called me from a coworker's apartment in Brooklyn to tell me what had happened and, at first, it didn't quite sink in with me, but I think it had to do with the shock that something like this even happened in the first place. To this day, I still remember that shock, and, like mylittledemon said, we should have cnaged for the better.

You can add me on Facebook
Old 09-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'm so glad to hear your father was alright, how terrifying. I've been thinking about the horrors all day and they are still as close as they were nine years ago.

I will never forget being 14 and in school and my teacher dropping her papers when she heard the news over a walkie-talkie. She started crying. They locked us up in the cafeteria and we just kept hearing scary words like 'terrorists' and 'war'. I felt guilty for the fact I wasn't in NYC and my family was safe at home. I remember a year before that I had gone to see Pearl Harbor in theaters and I remember asking my mom, "could that happen again in this country?" And she told me no.

Bruce Springsteen's album "The Rising" is all about feelings post 9/11. It's heavy to listen to, not background noise. I think he captured the way everybody felt; the firefighters, the victims and their families, children. I think every American should have to listen to it all the way through at least once.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cassie, I'm so glad your dad was safe.

I was 21 and a senior in college. I'll never forget that I was in my 9:30 Medieval Literature class when I first heard bits and pieces of what was happening. I went to another class after that, and it was almost noon before I finally got to a television in a student lounge. I skipped my night class to watch the coverage.

Those next few days were such a fog. Everyone on campus was in such a daze, I remember.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLoki View Post
I remember that day...I was 11 years old and in the 6th grade. I was scared about how everyone was leaving school early (when I found out later on, I was just plain angry over the fact that they didn't think we were "mature" enough to find out what was going on), and I did get pulled out early too by a family friend. Later that day, my dad called me from a coworker's apartment in Brooklyn to tell me what had happened and, at first, it didn't quite sink in with me, but I think it had to do with the shock that something like this even happened in the first place. To this day, I still remember that shock, and, like mylittledemon said, we should have cnaged for the better.
My school also didn't tell us what really happened. I was going to catholic school and was in 4th grade. We didn't have TVs or anything in the room, so we didn't know what was going on. All we were told was their was a small plane crash in...I don't remember where or if they even told us, but they didn't say NYC....and so we were going home early. We were ecstatic. We were a little sad about the plane crash, but it was communicated to us that it wasn't a big deal at all, so we just felt lucky.

When I got home and actually saw the news and the sadness on my parent's faces I felt really guilty because it was much more serious. With technology today a school would never be able to pull something like that off before kids actually found out what was really going on. Overall, that school was run really poorly and I told my parents I wanted to go to the public school for 5th grade and they let me.

I actually do remember this day and I think it's crazy that kids who are just a little younger than me won't remember...and for them it will just be something talked about in history class. That part makes my mind spin.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm so happy to hear that your dad made it out alright. I'm sure it can still be difficult for him still. I didn't know anyone in any of those places that horrible day. I'll not ever ever forget it though. I do recall what a beautiful day it was here in Michigan that morning. Beautuiful blue skies. My Mom & Dad were up north ....I'll not ever forget that day and none of us should. The horror of it all. I could say alot. But lets just say that I'll not ever forget it even though I didn't know anyone ....I know I felt like I was in some sort of daze for 6 months after it. I cried at the horror watching everything that night after work. I know I was afraid to drive home from work that evening too....It was all too much to bare really. Its hard to think its 9 yrs already cause I still recall it all as if it was yesterday. I pray that you and your family will heal from the pain.......take care and thanks for sharing with us.
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."