The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-23-2003, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Janet, girl I've got TONS of cotton down here!
you can help yourself anytime you want.

It's hard to keep it all bottled up inside, isn't it?

I think Stevie got it good, myself. All that recapturing his youth, etc.....

But alas, for the time being they are following the Destiny Rules you know.

I shant speak of it anymore!

-Sharon
Old 04-23-2003, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ahhhh, but......No one's a fool......

(Shoving that cotton in my mouth now....)

~Angela~
Old 04-24-2003, 12:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't eat it!

You're 'sposed to pee on it!

lol!

-Sharon
Old 04-24-2003, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

OHMYGAWD!!!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!

Wasn't gonna EAT it.....just stuff my mouth to shut it up....LOL! With a FRESH piece of cottonball. Oh, this is too funny.

~Angela~
Old 04-24-2003, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You can eat it, just don't pee on it first!!!

Old 04-24-2003, 03:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CarneVaca

Second, I'm a little taken aback at the hostility toward Anne Heche. What really makes her such a prime candidate for this kind of attack? (QUOTE)

I think Anne Heche sends people's phony alerts into overdrive. Although I have many times wrongly gauged the taste and sense of the American public (Milli Vanilli anyone ?), in general, the public can see an out and out fraud when it rears it's ugly head.
Unfortunately, most people have pegged her for the opportunistic attention sponge she is.

Case in point - a tell all memoir when she was famous for all of five minutes ? She was really famous for who she was sleeping with, not for her art. She was grabbing all she could get in her brief fifteen minutes. Plus, splashing her intimate relationship all over the press was in questionable taste and it completely eclipsed her career. It's not even a gay thing. Melissa Etheridge has an actress girlfriend and they aren't giving joint interviews and hooting all over about their eternal love after knowing each other for 6 months. Such hoopla is suspect.

The American public seems to have a certain amount of Goodwill for celebrities. And it seems linked to their talent. Elizabeth Taylor can get away with absolutely anything. For one thing, she has been around forever. For another, she was a world class performer. Thirdly, the tragedies she has overcome have been epic (near death illnesses, being widowed, etc.). There are others in the same category - Liza Minnelli, and even our Stevie have had well documented personal problems, that in light of their talents are forgiven. Significant artists are somehow expected to be flawed and challenged. If you are "special" enough, you are not tossed off the shrine.

People like Nick Nolte and Robert Downey Jr. seem to teeter forever on the precipice. They are just talented enough to still work and not lose their credibility entirely. But, I digress.

Ultimately, Heche-Lafoon gives people the creeps... the wacky "eternal love" after a few months, the "disappearance breakdown", the flip-flop sexuality. Ultimately, it was the need to trumpet the whole saga to a half interested public in print and on Barbara Walters that sent me over the edge. It's cheap, it's tawdry, and I think at the end of the day it was all a big desperate act to get noticed. I pity the kid and the clueless husband.

Off the soapbox for now !
Old 04-24-2003, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by sparky

I think Anne Heche sends people's phony alerts into overdrive. Although I have many times wrongly gauged the taste and sense of the American public (Milli Vanilli anyone ?), in general, the public can see an out and out fraud when it rears it's ugly head.
Unfortunately, most people have pegged her for the opportunistic attention sponge she is.

I won't give the American public that much credit. If 70 percent of polled Americans can support the biggest fraud that's been perpetrated on the American public in a long time -- George W. Bush -- the American public is easily bamboozled. Look at the crap that passes for pop art these days. A discerning public would know better.

Case in point - a tell all memoir when she was famous for all of five minutes ? She was really famous for who she was sleeping with, not for her art. She was grabbing all she could get in her brief fifteen minutes. Plus, splashing her intimate relationship all over the press was in questionable taste and it completely eclipsed her career. It's not even a gay thing. Melissa Etheridge has an actress girlfriend and they aren't giving joint interviews and hooting all over about their eternal love after knowing each other for 6 months. Such hoopla is suspect.

I don't know anything about you and I will not make assumptions about you. But I wonder if in general this anti-Heche sentiment is a gay thing. And it's sad really. Here are a bunch of people who have followed every move of two members of this band, and would actually pay to be there in a dark, candlelit room with them just to see if they would screw each other's brains out. Then you turn around and say Heche "was splashing her intimate relationship all over the press." Isn't that what Lindsey and Stevie have been doing for almost 30 years? And here they are playing it up again, saying this song is about Stevie, that song is about Lindsey. I am tired of this old bull**** story, frankly. You got people here complaining there isn't enough sexual tension during their live performances.

Why is it OK for Lindsey and Stevie to constantly rehash their relationship for the public but not for Anne Heche to write about hers?

Just leave the woman alone.

Last edited by CarneVaca; 04-24-2003 at 09:01 AM..
Old 04-24-2003, 09:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Carne mate what's the deal? You're comparing Lindsey & Stevie's romance as documented through , if nothing else, the Rumours songs... a body of art (and one of the best of all time; indeed, the name of this board)... you're comparing that with Anne Heche's celebrity hook-up, which, if nothing else (and there was nothing else) had no artistic context?

And I think you'll find that people's remarks here are based on Anne's reputation as a fruitcake, not as a lesbian, or whatever sexual label she might claim/fall under now. This is the last board on earth that people will have issues with sexuality!
Old 04-24-2003, 09:20 AM

Rodeo, are you not passing judgment on her motivations and the way she chooses to live her life? I've not read her book, and I don't waste time watching celebrity interviews, with a few exceptions. Now you have a lot of people who read the stuff, watch the interviews, feed on this like hungry dogs with a bone, just to cut the individual in question down.

I fear that is what's happened on this thread. It's disappointing. I don't care if Anne Heche is a fruitcake, a user or a part-time lesbian. That's her business. I choose not to buy her books or pay much attention to what she's doing with her life.

Lastly, I see what you're saying about artistic context, but you don't really believe that the Buckingham-Nicks affair has been aired only through the Rumours songs, do you? Do you not see that it has become a marketing scheme? And as such, how is it different from Anne Heche's book?
Old 04-24-2003, 09:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Dance was exploiting their "feelings" for the benefit of the extra dollar.

People wanted to see the chemistry...alot of people did...and they knew that...and even though Lindsey was going to be a daddy and had NO intentions of being with Miss Nicks, he just played along.

Really kind of sickening but I bought into it very much, I still do...so no, the S/L is no different than Anne Heche...really...if you get down to the nitty gritty.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
Of course LB could have thought he was stuping ole Anne, but in reality (now there's a good word for this post), he was banging Anne's alter ego "Celestia," who is said by Anne to speak in what is best referred to as tongues. Oh the possibilities with that . . .
Is it OK to guff Celestia?

Note: this was meant solely to add leveity and, unlike Anne/Celestia, should not be taken seriously

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 04-24-2003, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Anne Heche puts herself out there for the criticism. She's a joke. I personally don't mind her acting, but her stunts are outrageous. But, Carne, I can see your point and you're absolutely right.

As for the LB/SN drama, all it is is marketing and promotion, nothing else. I'm sure there is a little tension, but c'mon: it's been over twenty years. The story is old and boring and it's beginning to become repellent. I look forward to these appearances on TV like Dateline and Today, only to be disappointed by having the same old **** hashed out like a million times before. I'm sick of it. Why not talk about the making of the album, the meaning of the songs, what it was like in the studio, what they think of each others songs? Screw the same old drama that is becoming laughable. They've been in their careers for over thirty years, if they can't come up with anything else to talk about, it's a damn shame. Get some new material, folks.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Running through the Garden...HELL NO...i'm running through the cotton fields behind Sharon's house and setting them ablaze...lol. I honestly take offense at someone insinuating that we're all homophobic or some *BS.*My best guy friend who's going to see Fleetwood Mac with me...GAY! But I don't have to prove myself to you or anyone else.

The problem with Ms. Lafoon... I think I can speak for those of us that had something to say on the matter....we think she's a flake and a media-whore. Nothing more, nothing less. It has nothing to do with her sexuality. If you dig chicks, dig chicks. If you dig guys, you go for it. Frankly, I could care less.

As far as the Stevie/Lindsey thing...while I do think they play into it at times, I think being together on stage and on tour and in the studio conjures up emotions from the past. Yea, they broke up a looong time ago but they've been around each other a lot since then. There's still going to be emotion there....maybe it's because i'm a girl and we tend to be more emotional but I could see where Stevie, who's never really had a real marriage and has had several relationships, none of which lasted, could still have feelings. She has her life, and her music, both of which have and will continue to include him. Perhaps he was the one great love of her life? Who's to say? I'm not them so I don't know. But discussing their relationship or lack of relationship...to get upset at that? As John Stossel says on 20/20...GIVE ME A BREAK. It's all in good fun.

"I went DOWN DOWN DOWN...in a burning ring of fire"
Old 04-24-2003, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

LOL.....Oh, Sharrrrrrron??????? Where are you with those cottonballs, dear? Lawzy, it's gettin' mighty hot in here....

~Angela~
Old 04-24-2003, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

We're all just a buch of little field mice with our cottonballs, aren't we? hee hee!

Come on, you non-romantics, how can you say that you don't care/aren't interested in the relationship of S&L? So, you want to hear them talk about the songs on SYW? Well, the songs are about EACH OTHER, and it's only the basis for the whole thing, so why should that be interesting? When they are asked about the songs, they usually say it is about Lindsey/ it is about Stevie, so here we go around the mulberry bush once again!

You can't have Fleetwood Mac without it.

-Sharon