The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Default The Dance (different concert footage)

Check out this clip (especially the end) for a different version of The Chain/Dreams. I wish the other night of the original taping would surface in it's entirety!!

Old 11-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

True, it would be nice to have both nights and compare them.

Stevie always says she held back on Silver Springs to the end, but I'd like to see the first night. I might like that one better.

Chili always tells us how startling the contrast between the two Mirage tapings were, with the band getting along one night and shooting daggers at each other the next night. I don't think there was that kind of contrast for The Dance tapings, but still I'd love to see the differences.

I lived in California at the time, but I didn't know about the tapings. What I missed.

Michele
Old 11-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There were 3 nights taped ,the final dress rehearsal on 21st May '97 and then the 2 Dance concerts 22nd & 23rd that made their way to become the CD/DVD
Old 11-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1997 was eons ago. in 1997 the only way we really had to find out about tapings and shows and cool stuff was Usenet and AOL message boards. If you were lucky sometimes things would happen on the Old Ledge. It was not until AFTER the Dance that The Penguin really started to EXPLODE.

From what I recall The Dance VIDEO was a mix of both nights. You can tell the nights by Stevie's hair which changes from Curly to Straight and Back again I think. The audio was also mixed between the two nights to put a better audio take with a better visual performance. You can tell by the lip syncing in places. (the ones I know of are the ones where Stevie is heard singing in the mix but is no close to her microphone)

Stevie looks SO thin in these. 1996-2001 was such a great era for Periomenopause Stevie. She still had spunk and girlishness about her missing from about 1983 and on.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
There were 3 nights taped ,the final dress rehearsal on 21st May '97 and then the 2 Dance concerts 22nd & 23rd that made their way to become the CD/DVD
That footage might be from the final rehearsal. It is taking place on the stage. The regular rehearsals happened on a plain soundstage like in the other Pre-Dance videos we have seen. Also, that video in this ET story is not from a professional taping. Look at how it pans around and zooms in and out. That is not how the Dance was taped. The Dance was almost if not entirely cut and paste from various cameras.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
That footage might be from the final rehearsal. It is taking place on the stage. The regular rehearsals happened on a plain soundstage like in the other Pre-Dance videos we have seen. Also, that video in this ET story is not from a professional taping. Look at how it pans around and zooms in and out. That is not how the Dance was taped. The Dance was almost if not entirely cut and paste from various cameras.
Yep that would be it right there ,they used it (& the interviews) for various specials & promotion for MTV and stuff leading up to the release of The Dance

Last edited by Bryan; 11-05-2013 at 03:32 PM..
Old 11-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

How did they taped the show with 3 different audiences each night as I mentioned in a another thread this will screw up the continuity of the video with different audience shots.

I hope the other versions do show up somewhere.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 11-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

True, it would be nice to have both nights and compare them.

I believe I have audio from both. It's been so long since
I listened, it might possibly be "The Dance" without the
overdubs.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
You can tell the nights by Stevie's hair which changes from Curly to Straight and Back again I think.
There are also a few places through-out where Stevie's tambourine has white streamers in it and in other places it doesn't... Look at My Little Demon and you'll see it.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I totally think this is a final rehearsal. Stevie's hair and make up are so different from the final version. And look at the boots.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
I believe I have audio from both. It's been so long since
I listened, it might possibly be "The Dance" without the
overdubs.
Really? Professional recording, or a bootleg? What are the overdubs? I have always maintained that what we hear on The Dance is not actually LIVE and is overdubbed in a lot of places on the vocals.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I have always maintained that what we hear on The Dance is not actually LIVE and is overdubbed in a lot of places on the vocals.
Is there even any contesting that? It's pretty standard practice for all concert DVD releases. I thought it was taken as a given.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There were people back in the late 90s that swore that they were there and heard it live and that what is on the album is exact what they heard. I don't know, Christines vocals seemed a little too clipped and perfect, almost auto tuned? Maybe? And if you notice on the video they used HUGE microphones and usually stick with the shots that make each word end while their lips are behind the microphone. They only show their mouths open the microphone is not in the way. It is just a way to make the audio sound like it matches the performance.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
There were people back in the late 90s that swore that they were there and heard it live and that what is on the album is exact what they heard. I don't know, Christines vocals seemed a little too clipped and perfect, almost auto tuned? Maybe? And if you notice on the video they used HUGE microphones and usually stick with the shots that make each word end while their lips are behind the microphone. They only show their mouths open the microphone is not in the way. It is just a way to make the audio sound like it matches the performance.
I can't hear a huge difference between the raw footage and DVD footage, admittedly, but I can understand why artists would be finnicky about the "cracks" showing in their live vocal performances when it comes to a DVD release that people are presumably going to watch over and over. I think it's safe to assume that at least some tweaking took place.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Is there even any contesting that? It's pretty standard practice for all concert DVD releases. I thought it was taken as a given.
I agree that it's standard. Rush, for example on their last DVD stated exactly what areas they fixed in the notes.