The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There's a quote by Nicks from the first news conference after Lindsey's 1987 departure, I think in and of itself, it's very telling about the state of the situation.--

"Lindsey, he would rather I just stayed at home doing laundry. We are talking about a man who was in love with a woman and would just as soon she had faded out and just been his old lady or wife. Period." "Whooo," sighs Christine after a full five seconds of silence. Mick interjects, "That situation changed somewhat, in my opinion." Stevie narrows her eyes and says, "Not when it came down to the real thing. No, it never changed."

Also, in Mick's book he says when S & L had the big fight, that he didn't hear what he said, but that Stevie replied "you'll never be in love with anyone but yourself". I think what he had said based on that response was that he was still in love with her.

Also, soon after Stevie said it was nice being able to hang out with the new guys up at her house- which she could never do with Lindsey because they would always get on the topic of why they had broken up 12 years ago.

So, I mean and then just based on his music, which is pretty clear to me, he just could not let her go.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Have you guys ever read that poem by Walt Whitman- Out of the Cradle, Endlessly Rocking?
Old 01-04-2014, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickney723 View Post

So, I mean and then just based on his music, which is pretty clear to me, he just could not let her go.

But he did let her go. And when she says she had to bully him into doing the Clinton inauguration, I don't think it was because he thought, "Oh, being so near to her and not being able to have her will kill me," I think it was because he was afraid that if she was still the person she was around the BTM appearances in 1990, then he didn't want to have anything to do with her. And it made him sad -- in much the same way Christine says that seeing Peter Green made her sad.

As for Stevie's press conference statements, I don't take her words as an accurate description of Lindsey's feelings. Then or now. But would he have been happy if they had joined FM and been able to remain a couple and "Hollywood" hadn't gotten between and changed them? Yes I think so. But that's not what happened.

Michele
Old 01-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Have you guys ever read that poem by Walt Whitman- Out of the Cradle, Endlessly Rocking?
I've read that and Gift of Screws too. But I don't think OOTC (the title track and the whole album) has that much to do with Stevie. And even then (before I'd lost my own father and brother) I saw it really in a vein of mourning and being about family and creative dreams and aspirations, more than romantic ones.

Now, Under the Skin is a different story. I think that's largely about Stevie and the events leading up to his marriage.

Michele
Old 01-04-2014, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But he did let her go. And when she says she had to bully him into doing the Clinton inauguration, I don't think it was because he thought, "Oh, being so near to her and not being able to have her will kill me," I think it was because he was afraid that if she was still the person she was around the BTM appearances in 1990, then he didn't want to have anything to do with her. And it made him sad -- in much the same way Christine says that seeing Peter Green made her sad.

As for Stevie's press conference statements, I don't take her words as an accurate description of Lindsey's feelings. Then or now. But would he have been happy if they had joined FM and been able to remain a couple and "Hollywood" hadn't gotten between and changed them? Yes I think so. But that's not what happened.

Michele
I don't he ever let her go emotionally at all. I think he left FM because he could not have her the way he wanted her and it was driving him to the brink. I think the only reason he did the Clinton thing was because it was so important to her.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've read that and Gift of Screws too. But I don't think OOTC (the title track and the whole album) has that much to do with Stevie. And even then (before I'd lost my own father and brother) I saw it really in a vein of mourning and being about family and creative dreams and aspirations, more than romantic ones.

Now, Under the Skin is a different story. I think that's largely about Stevie and the events leading up to his marriage.

Michele
See, I think OOTC, is MOSTLY about her. There is some of it about his Dad and brother.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
See, I think OOTC, is MOSTLY about her. There is some of it about his Dad and brother.
And that's the difference. You think the Whitman poem is about the male and female relationship and I think it is about DEATH. Death and creative birth. So, from that perspective, I'm not going to perceive it as being too much about Stevie at all. I think I can see more about Mick in it than about Stevie.

But yeah, I do give her Under the Skin, title track and most of the album.

Michele
Old 01-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, but as far as birds go, I always thought it was funny when Stevie was talking about the swans in her video and said they mated for life, but were constantly fighting with each other. That reminded me of SnL.

Michele
Old 01-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I saw it really in a vein of mourning and being about family and creative dreams and aspirations, more than romantic ones.
Totally agree with this.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't he ever let her go emotionally at all.
And this..
Old 01-04-2014, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And that's the difference. You think the Whitman poem is about the male and female relationship and I think it is about DEATH. Death and creative birth. So, from that perspective, I'm not going to perceive it as being too much about Stevie at all. I think I can see more about Mick in it than about Stevie.

But yeah, I do give her Under the Skin, title track and most of the album.

Michele
Oh, but I do think it's about death from his perspective, the death of a dream. The dream of being with her.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't he ever let her go emotionally at all. I think he left FM because he could not have her the way he wanted her and it was driving him to the brink.
Yes, I don't think the heartbeat was driving him all that mad thinking about what he had and what he lost. I think he was being driven crazy by his and everyone's manic behavior and not being able to make the music he wanted, for the reasons he wanted. I think he was sad for Stevie (and Mick) too, but not pining for her in a romantic sense.

But I do think as they headed into the Dance that he got to thinking about Stevie romantically again after that, so we got those pre-concert videos where he is kissing her multiple times and being like a school boy. I think there was a resurgence of interest.

Michele
Old 01-04-2014, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

But you know, I agree he is also dealing with the death of his dad and brother on that album.. but you know- Just Say We'll Meet Again, This Nearly Was Mine, All My Sorrows, the song where he's talking to his father at his grave- he's talking to him about Stevie.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, but I do think it's about death from his perspective, the death of a dream. The dream of being with her.
Ha. See that's just funny to me. If you made that argument about CAD I might agree with you there though. But to see OOTC in that way ... I never could understand that.

Michele
Old 01-04-2014, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, I don't think the heartbeat was driving him all that mad thinking about what he had and what he lost. I think he was being driven crazy by his and everyone's manic behavior and not being able to make the music he wanted, for the reasons he wanted. I think he was sad for Stevie (and Mick) too, but not pining for her in a romantic sense.

But I do think as they headed into the Dance that he got to thinking about Stevie romantically again after that, so we got those pre-concert videos where he is kissing her multiple times and being like a school boy. I think there was a resurgence of interest.

Michele
When he's candid, he'll admit the real reason he left was because he needed separation from her- the personal addictions/ habits and creative differences played a more minor part.