Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1998 View Post
Yeah, well... okay, damn.
It's still a Masters!!!
You look gorgeous in the cap and gown!
Thanks ho- wish we could celebrate together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
Congratulations as well. From what college did you graduate?
I received a Joint Masters of Social Work from UNC-G and NC State A & T University.
http://www.jmsw.org/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew_Matthews View Post
You'll be bored come September mark my words............ and Dr Jannie sounds good. You could have a TV show!
You're probably right about the bored thing...hmmm, my own reality show sounds intriguing...
Old 05-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
hmmm, my own reality show sounds intriguing...
More like scary.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
More like scary.
Whatever. I'll try to give you a cameo in it.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I received a Joint Masters of Social Work from UNC-G and NC State A & T University.
http://www.jmsw.org/

You don't need me to tell you, but the University of North Carolina system is one of the best state college programs in the country. Considering the school, a double congratulations. I'm your former neighbor btw, MBA @ University of Kentucky.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You could have a TV show!
You could call it "Living On The Ledge."
Old 05-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
You don't need me to tell you, but the University of North Carolina system is one of the best state college programs in the country. Considering the school, a double congratulations. I'm your former neighbor btw, MBA @ University of Kentucky.
Well thank you! It's interesting, considering NC has one of the worst public school systems in the nation. My college experiences here (both undergrad and grad) have been very positive, though. Since I am married and have a step-son, I had no alternative other than going to school here, so I am lucky that I was able to get such a good education. I will be in debt until the end of time. Literally. The high paying social work jobs I am eligible for now should lessen that debt, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
You could call it "Living On The Ledge."
Good one.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The high paying social work jobs I am eligible for now should lessen that debt, right?
Hey, it's gotta be better than working for Pharma right now. I'll be lucky to have a job by August. We will see.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hey, it's gotta be better than working for Pharma right now. I'll be lucky to have a job by August. We will see.
I act like I've EVER made more money before. Not counting my bartending days, it's more than I've ever made. But it still isn't very much when you consider I am in student loan debt to the tune of about $70K- good times!
Old 05-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But it still isn't very much when you consider I am in student loan debt to the tune of about $70K- good times!
It is a crazy situation that people can leave college saddled with huge levels of debt. My masters was sponsored fortunately, but there seems to be an imbalance there in that science/engineering courses seem to get more financial support than arts or social science type courses.

But it is sad that either you have to have alot of money in the bank to support you through college or be left with huge debts at the end of the course. It doesn't help the 'average' student imo.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It is a crazy situation that people can leave college saddled with huge levels of debt. My masters was sponsored fortunately, but there seems to be an imbalance there in that science/engineering courses seem to get more financial support than arts or social science type courses.

But it is sad that either you have to have alot of money in the bank to support you through college or be left with huge debts at the end of the course. It doesn't help the 'average' student imo.
I am hearing rumblings regarding loan forgiveness for social workers. If it happens, I think I would only have to pay my loans for 10 years, and then the rest is "forgiven". That would be wonderful, but we'll see. I was able to get a scholarship for one semester and then I did an assistantship for the next year. But still, it's crazy.

The way I look at it is that some people borrow that kind of money for cars or houses. I can justify it like that.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The way I look at it is that some people borrow that kind of money for cars or houses. I can justify it like that.
Sorry - I wasn't suggesting that it was a rash way of spending money, I was just saying that it is unfair that to get a good education to position yourself for a career that you want, that you have to take on a large debt.

Both the US and UK systems that I've been through charge college fees etc and I just think it disenfranchises the less well off (financially) from studying and worse still doesn't easily allow mature students to study or retrain for other careers. All credit to you and your husband but it can't be an easy decision to make to move back into education.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sorry - I wasn't suggesting that it was a rash way of spending money, I was just saying that it is unfair that to get a good education to position yourself for a career that you want, that you have to take on a large debt.

Both the US and UK systems that I've been through charge college fees etc and I just think it disenfranchises the less well off (financially) from studying and worse still doesn't easily allow mature students to study or retrain for other careers. All credit to you and your husband but it can't be an easy decision to make to move back into education.
Oh no- I didn't think you were saying that at all. *I* occasionally need to justify it to myself!
Old 05-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

congrats jannie .
Old 05-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy1 View Post
congrats jannie .
Thank you kathy1.