User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I agree. Jimmy Page has a status to maintain. An image. A brand. Mike Campbell does as well, but you a MUCH lesser degree. Page is a f*cking ICON. As big as Old Goat Breath... bigger.
Oh I'd say he's much, much bigger than Stevie. My foreign grandparents don't have the slightest clue what Fleetwood Mac is or who Stevie Nicks is but they've heard of Led Zeppelin and of Jimmy Page.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
Don Felder (formerly of the Eagles) would also have been a possibility had Mike Campbell not been available (though, on second thought, I doubt they could have worked that out given the bad blood between Felder and Irving Azoff).
I agree, I think that could've actually made sense in theory but it would've never happened because of what happened with Felder and The Eagles.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Had Mike not agreed to join, or had he not been available, they probably either wouldn't have fired Lindsey or they would have gone with Waddy Wachtel from Stevie's band.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Had Mike not agreed to join, or had he not been available, they probably either wouldn't have fired Lindsey or they would have gone with Waddy Wachtel from Stevie's band.
Nah. Waddy is a sideman. They needed someone with a big enough name to stir some additional buzz. Jeff Beck would have been another great choice, and he was just touring with Paul Rodgers and Ann Wilson this summer.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-09-2018, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
They needed someone with a big enough name.
Is Mike really that much of a bigger name than Waddy? Waddy was lead guitarist for Carole King, Linda Ronstadt, and Warren Zevon.

If you are right (and you may well be), then I think they probably don't fire Lindsey without first making sure Mike Campbell is available and on board. Mike is sort of playing it off like he didn't know anything about the opening until Mick called him in March, but I suspect there may have been a call (or some form of communication) in the fall to feel him out and see whether he'd join if asked.

Jeff Beck is interesting. I wonder whether he would have committed beyond a single tour, if at all. The only other big names I can think of are Stephen Stills (CSN broke up at the end of 2015), Roger McGuinn, and Marty Stuart; but they are all on tour through November or December so probably none would have worked out.

Last edited by cbBen; 11-09-2018 at 12:14 PM..
Old 11-09-2018, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Is Mike really that much of a bigger name than Waddy? Waddy was lead guitarist for Carole King, Linda Ronstadt, and Warren Zevon.

If you are right (and you may well be), then I think they probably don't fire Lindsey without first making sure Mike Campbell is available and on board. Mike is sort of playing it off like he didn't know anything about the opening until Mick called him in March, but I suspect there may have been a call (or some form of communication) in the fall to feel him out and see whether he'd join if asked.

Jeff Beck is interesting. I wonder whether he would have committed beyond a single tour, if at all. The only other big names I can think of are:

Stephen Stills (CSN broke up at the end of 2015), but he's on tour with Judy Collins through November 19; so that probably wouldn't have worked.
Roger McGuinn (probably lacks the chops to do Lindsey's parts)
Marty Stuart (probably too country-inflected)
This has been my feeling from the beginning about Mike. I think Mick wouldn't have just called Mike out of the blue, he would have called Mike first because Stevie suggested him and second because Stevie would have called Mike and felt him out about it, and pitched him on taking it both because it would help FM and because, she would have said to convince him, that it would help him stay busy and help him get over losing Tom. Once she had gotten a sense Mike was open to the idea, she would have gotten Mick onboard and together they got John onboard and then Mick called Mike. And Mike was always curiously careful not to mention Stevie at all when he talked about how he came to join the band... only mentioning the call from Mick, which immediately struck me as odd. I mean, he's been close to Stevie for decades, and the idea she didn't call him to let him know makes zero sense.

As for Stephen Stills, he's notoriously difficult and I cannot see him fitting in at all.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 11-09-2018 at 12:31 PM..
Old 11-09-2018, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Jeff Beck is interesting. I wonder whether he would have committed beyond a single tour, if at all. The only other big names I can think of are Stephen Stills (CSN broke up at the end of 2015), Roger McGuinn, and Marty Stuart; but they are all on tour through November or December so probably none would have worked out.

Yes, he is. Not just as a player, but as a songwriter. He cowrote so many of the Heartbreakers hits (Running Down a Dream, Refugee, Jammin Me, Here Comes My Girl, and on and on and on)as well as Don Henley hits (Boys of Summer, The Heart of the Matter) and of course Stevie hits (Stop Draggin').

Plus none of these other guys are people that Stevie would have the same relationship with and history of writing with. As she's now running the band, chemistry with Stevie is crucial, and more important, a guitarist who is comfortable being second banana, a role Mike was very familiar and comfortable with.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Makes sense. I just checked and, in addition to producing her and writing with her, Mike Campbell plays on all eight of Stevie's solo albums (same goes for Waddy, by the way, on all three counts).

Last edited by cbBen; 11-09-2018 at 02:26 PM..