User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-25-2003, 12:07 PM
Ledgie

Unhappy Can't believe I'm saying this..

I *REALLY* miss Christine.

After last night's Second Leno performance, I racked my brain to figure out what was missing. Sure Stevie's outfit wasn't great, Lindsey's vocals were strained, etc., but that isn't anything I haven't seen before.

I miss Christine.

I pulled out "TIME" and put on Christine's tracks. I really miss her:

1. WARM VOCALS [much missed in their harmony]

2. Keyboards [always thought they were dorky before-now the songs with keyboards on the new album I like and think of as more Maclike-Thrown Down, Say You Will, etc.]

3. Her professionalism [she never seemed to be off-key or be less than "perfect" and together on stage].

To think I started out highly ANTICIPATING an album without her because there would be more Lindsey and Stevie tracks. I do love the new album, it's just it isn't Fleetwood Mac exactly..it doesn't even sound like a new Fleetwood Mac, more like a Stevie and Lindsey solo album [as some have said already.]

Last night I listened to "All Over Again" on Time. What a fantastic song!
Old 04-25-2003, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I felt the exact same way after my first listen to the new album. I have grown to absolutely love the album, but I do miss the element that Christine ads to the band....like you said...her warm vocals....keyboards and proffesionalism...you said it all...
Old 04-25-2003, 01:19 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Me too.

Hello all---

I'm a huge LB fan, so when I heard that Christine was no longer with the band, I was giddy with the thought of more Lindsey tracks on the album. Please don't get me wrong---the rest of the band is very talented, but when Lindsey left, I stopped listening to FM. It just wasn't the same for me.

You can imagine my surprise when, after several listens to SAY YOU WILL, I was still trying to figure out what was missing, and I realized it was Christine. Well, it's a bit obvious, I guess. But---even though "Hold Me" is one of my favorite Mac tunes and I love many of her other songs---I didn't think I'd miss her at all.

I think Stevie's "Say You Will" comes very close to capturing the vibe of Christine's songs. In fact, I think the chorus is practically Stevie channeling Christine's style.

But I miss hearing Christine singing with Lindsey, and as good as Stevie and Lindsey sound together on "Thrown Down" and other songs, I think Lindsey dueting with Christine creates a different but equally impressive sound. As others have noted, her keyboard style and backing vocals are sorely missed.

Stevie fans got more songs and Lindsey fans got more songs, but I think the album as a whole suffers a little from Christine's absence.

...but I still love it. *grin*

It would have been nice to have had an FM studio version of "Temporary One" on SAY YOU WILL, as well as one or two more Christine songs.

mattl

Last edited by Matt Lucas; 04-25-2003 at 01:31 PM..
Old 04-25-2003, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The allmusic.com review is kind of hard to Say You Will... but they do have a point that I share, and since it resumes what I've been saying in the latest times about this releasing, I'll just copy and paste it, instead of repeating myself all over again:

"the division of work is so deliberate and their work so dissimilar, it can't help but feel like two separate pieces pushed together to make the whole. Which is where Christine McVie becomes a critical factor. While never a star like Nicks, nor possessing the mad genius of Buckingham, McVie was a strong, likeable songwriter whose gently melodic works balanced the extremities of her bandmates while also forcing them to choose the best material to fit the record."

True, true, very true... I also miss Christine, very much.

Song of the moment - Love Minus Zero/No Limit
Old 04-25-2003, 11:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not hard to believe... I miss her too. Her warm face, full of grace. Our Songbird!

Im alone now, with my thoughts...
Old 04-25-2003, 11:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Heart WE LOVE YOU CHRISTINE!!

I miss her too, but it was her decision to retire from FM. I sometimes read reviewers who sound bitter about it, like they kicked her to the curb or something. She's NEVER liked touring so...

I love her to DEATH and hope she is HAPPY!! PLEASE, Miss Christine, get that solo album out, we wanna hear from you!!
Old 04-26-2003, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think it's Christine's absence that makes SYW feel too bulky. Tusk was the same length, and seemed much more manageable. I totally agree with everyone... her sunny songwriting style lightened up the bands sound between Stevie and Lindseys broodings . I thought the last couple of nights too that the band was really suffering without their self proclaimed "glue"... let's just hope it was a bad couple of warm-up performances. I for one didn't think the Today Show was that bad... Rhiannon rocked. The chemistry has DEFINITELY changed though... let's hope the Mac magic remains somewhat intact without her presence.
Old 04-26-2003, 06:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw that AllMusic review on the Barnes & Noble website, and I pretty much agree with it word for word. The new album is really only 2 solo albums on 1 CD, rather than a Fleetwood Mac album. Chris was the perfect balance to Buckingham/Nicks. Tusk was only 4 minutes shorter than the new album, but Say You Will seems so much longer than Tusk, which seems to fly right by. I can't speak about the live performances during the last week, since I haven't seen them, but it doesn't really surprise me if there have been problems. Chris was always rock solid & steady, both her keyboards & her vocals. Her voice also seemed to have held up a lot better with age than Stevie & Lindsey's voices.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, FM needs Christine back. She just rounded out the whole crew.

S/L just need more practice and they will be great but Christine always just was perfect...
Old 04-26-2003, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh yes, the goddess Perfect... where oh where can she be? She may well have been able to bring another dimension to current proceedings, what with her unique turn of phrase, charismatic stage presence and startling beauty.
The darker tone of the album could have been enlightened with the inclusion of lyrical content along the lines of "acting peculiarly"; "pretty darlin'" and "I love ya for what ya are" whilst the recent spate of lacklustre live performances would have benefited from her energetic, vibrant approach.
In addressing the potential problem of non-relevance in today's manufactured, teenage marketplace; Christine most definitely would have taken on an active role in ensuring their street cred was recognised by reprising her role of maverick genius circa '82-'97. Always known for her witty, barbed commentary, she also never fails to dazzle with her fresh-faced, good looks. She is the total package - someone expedite her our way real soon!
Old 04-26-2003, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Phil - I crown thee the Czar of Chasm of the Ledge.

It wasn't lost on me, and I get your point.

-Sharon
Old 04-26-2003, 10:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sulamith
Phil - I crown thee the Czar of Chasm of the Ledge.

It wasn't lost on me, and I get your point.

-Sharon
I agree.

I also will miss the "ole broad." I loved her sense of style, humor, everything. Maybe she is on a plane right now to come in and kick some ass!!!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 04-26-2003, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I miss her.

I'm finding this new album hard to listen to. I mean, I like it ok.. but after the novelty of having a new FM album wears out, at this point, I feel like I won't listen to it much in the future.

There are fantastic songs on it.. no doubt. But I can't help but wonder what Chris would have added. The vocals would have been much better.. their playing (which is top notch now) would have probably been elevated to an even higher level.. and the songs, wow. I loved Temporary One from the Dance - and I'd be willing to bet she has an arsenal of other new gems.

Again, I do for the most part like the album, but it is somewhat depressing to think what it could have been, had Chris still been on board.

Oh well, eh?

Sarah
Old 04-26-2003, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Something...

is missing, I listened to it today and I miss Christine also. The album is very good, But it could've been great with Ms.Christine...Brian J.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 04-27-2003, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just like to say I'm glad she's gone, as it gives Lindseys guitar more room.

A few shabby live performances can't really be put down to her not being around.

The albums too long, but then so was Tusk. Had Christine taken part, it probably would have been 3 solo albums on 2 discs.

Sorry to all Christine fans, I love her songs, but she bores me silly as a performer.

Quote:
it doesn't even sound like a new Fleetwood Mac, more like a Stevie and Lindsey solo album
If it's a "new" Fleetwood Mac then how can you know what the new Fleetwood Mac is supposed to sound like?

I think if they do another album, thats where the new dynamic will really flourish. As this started out as Lindseys solo project it was always going to sound like two different albums.