Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

posting here, so it doesn't get lost in the rumours forum:

i talked to my 14 yo daughter this morning, while driving her to school. i told her Fleetwood Mac fired Lindsey. she was like, what? how does that even happen?

she pondered it a bit, and then came up with this: "i guess they just must have gone senile."

i had to laugh. guess kids cut through the crap and come up with the most plausible explanation!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-13-2018, 08:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
this has got to STOP. what is above is NOT a speculation. Rick Turner has no reason to make up stuff. he told us what happened.

there is more to the backstory though - "him or me" came from several separate sources - but you are right, it has not been shared publicly.

(sorry, the gotta STOP part is not to you specifically, i'm just so tired of fans saying it, when confronted with facts.)
I accept what Rick Turner said, and that wasn't the speculation I was referring to. His explanation makes 100% sense, and I'm sure it's true, we just don't know specifically how everything went down, of course.

We all (subconsciously?) tend to make assumptions based on, I think, which band member we like the most (or which one we dislike the most). That's the only explanation I can think of for some of the speculation going on. If someone is already frustrated or angry with Stevie because she wouldn't record with FM, then it seems they blame Stevie for Lindsey leaving. She's always wanted the band for herself, they say. If someone loves Christine, then she's considered an innocent bystander who is only touring with FM because of some contract she can't get out of. If someone loves Stevie, then Lindsey was fired because of some alleged physical or emotional abuse he did to her 40 years ago.

Fans are scrambling, trying to understand how and why this could happen, and that's leading to a whole lotta speculation, much of it unpleasant. Elle has kept her head pretty clear, and she is probably the most vocal LB fan here, and others could take a lesson. She's clearly hurt and angry and upset, but she's not saying nasty things about other members or calling them names.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Was this thread deleted? I can't find it unless I look under my name...

Oh good, it's still here.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
for people who are asking about what happened - here is some more, filled in by Rick Turner (luthier who made Turner Model 1, LB's guitar) -

Rick Turner:
At one point, Lindsey had proposed that both FM and he with his band tour at the same time with the LB band filling in dates between the FM shows. The report was that Stevie wanted at least a day between gigs; Lindsey wanted to play as much as possible. That's what I heard from a most reliable source at the NAMM show in January.

i asked Rick whether it's ok if i post here (you know, weirdos on The Ledge, as Jimmy P. nicely calls people here ). this was Rick's response:

Rick Turner
Elle Llew Sure. I think it just points out one point of contention. Maybe it looked to some as though LB was going to do really well touring hard; perhaps not doubling his money on the tour, but certainly getting in nearly twice the audience face time. I did not hear whether Christine was going to possibly do the LB gigs as well as the FM gigs, but Bret and Neil would have, and that would have made nice...and deserved...paydays for them. Good guys, great musicians. I know Federico was looking forward to ti.

and more:

Rick Turner
Felix Le Chat Lindsey would have gotten more press than Stevie if they'd done a double tour like that.

so.... was Stevie arguing for at least a day between gigs on behalf of the supporting players?? Seems like they had decided for themselves they were ok with it. Maybe she thought it would poop them out for the Mac shows over time?? I'm just trying to figure out how the pieces fit logically. Which is a mistake with this band because so much is done emotionally!
Old 04-13-2018, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What was posted is mostly along the lines from what I've heard too.
Very sad and disappointing from Mick and Stevie.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:24 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Still not getting it

Here's what I don't get: how could the bandStevie in particularbe willing to burn that bridge with Lindsey with such finality? Forget the musicon a personal level, it's a monumental betrayal. I don't see how their relationship could come back from it.

If she is the one who pushed for his ouster, I think that one day, in the not-too-distant future, she will regret being so impetuous.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesmck View Post
I don't see how their relationship could come back from it.

If she is the one who pushed for his ouster, I think that one day, in the not-too-distant future, she will regret being so impetuous.
It might be healthy for him and his wife to
leave that relationship. At his age why
not live the most stress free life he can?

According to her, the life she's led is full of
regrets. Her endless complaining would be
enough for me to leave.

My opinion is that he can definitely turn this into
a positive situation. Use the angst to write better
songs.

I'm looking forward to new music from him. And
I think that's why I'm not so upset.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:57 AM
Ledgie

I was hoping for one last FM album/tour and of course angry regarding Lindsey's firing, but more excited about the possibility of solo shows happening sooner rather than later. I have enjoyed the large stadium tours, but it sounds like he wasn't too keen on the Classic West/East and doing the "nostalgia act." Based on reviews, the band was just going through the motions with no energy at the West show, so I hope that he will be happier in the long run being able to concentrate on his solo endeavors.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i've been thinking about this, sifting through all the bs in various different-slanted fan groups, trying to clean up outright slander, mocking and confusion.

as far as the fans trying to preach "all FM members matter" line? it's simple - it's a matter of wrong and right.

i as a LB fan might be way happier for both his [US] fans and ultimately his creative output and legacy if he doesn't waste another second touring greatest hits with FM. he gains. we gain.

but i'm sad for LB fans around the world who lost probably the only opportunity to see him solo - because the way he was planning intermingled tours, he could have easily done it - throw in a few solo dates in the UK, Europe, AUS. now they not only won't get him solo, but they were also robbed of the only opportunity they've had to see him live for the last decade or so, which was when FM was touring. so i'm sad for those fans. it would have been spectacular for them. and according to Rick, it sounds Christine was considering guesting at some of his solo shows, so there may have been some BuckVie songs thrown in there too.

i do admit this is easy for me to say, being a LB fan first, who is in the wrong. because it's fairly clear-cut and i don't need to try to delude myself and muddy the waters for others like trolls are trying to do. and you know what? i don't deny that bad stuff from LB's past we've heard about probably happened. in contrast, these people cannot accept the smaller thing being wrong with their favorite. it's bizarre.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-15-2018, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The people I feel most sorry for are the ones who couldn't/didn't go to the last tour. I've been chided (lovingly by my family) for going to multiple shows and my response is always the same---FM is old, someone could die and I'd never forgive myself for missing a show that I could have gone to. For example: I live in the Chicago suburbs so I can drive into the city or drive to Milwaukee to see them. The time, distance and hassle is roughly the same. Why the hell wouldn't I go to both shows! When you tack on all the musical greats we've lost in the past few years it makes perfect sense to me.

I realize some weren't able to see a concert due to travel, money, etc and now they'll never have the chance to see the 5. That makes me SO SAD. I insisted on taking my sister to a show. She's not even a casual fan, just likes a few songs. She was impressed by the length of the show, the graphics, the way Chris, Stevie and Lindsey take turns singing. When she saw Chris putting on the accordion she was like "omg does she really play that". She was blown away by Lindsey's energy and how much more rugged and strong they sound live compared to the radio. She wasn't sure what to make of Stevie's crackhead dance but filmed the whole thing on her phone, lol. She got startled at first when people called out the band members names (and kept doing it throughout the show) but thought it was super cool.

My heart breaks for the fans who won't get to experience the Rumors 5. Maybe the new shows will be fun but it won't be the same.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post

I realize some weren't able to see a concert due to travel, money, etc and now they'll never have the chance to see the 5. That makes me SO SAD. I insisted on taking my sister to a show. She's not even a casual fan, just likes a few songs. She was impressed by the length of the show, the graphics, the way Chris, Stevie and Lindsey take turns singing. When she saw Chris putting on the accordion she was like "omg does she really play that". She was blown away by Lindsey's energy and how much more rugged and strong they sound live compared to the radio. She wasn't sure what to make of Stevie's crackhead dance but filmed the whole thing on her phone, lol. She got startled at first when people called out the band members names (and kept doing it throughout the show) but thought it was super cool.

My heart breaks for the fans who won't get to experience the Rumors 5. Maybe the new shows will be fun but it won't be the same.
In the deep recesses of my heart, I am hoping upon all hope that cooler heads will prevail, they will rectify this, and we will get a proper farewell somewhere down the road
Old 04-15-2018, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I had sworn I would not see them without new music. BM was sufficient so I saw BM in Vegas but skipped Stevies 24kG tour as protest. Hence I was looking forward to finally seeing the Rumours 5 this go-round.

Thats what I get! lol

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've been chided (lovingly by my family) for going to multiple shows and my response is always the same---FM is old, someone could die and I'd never forgive myself for missing a show that I could have gone to.
you know, i was mad at myself for giving in and seeing 7 shows on the OWTS tour. i thought the setlist was stale and they didn't deserve my money. but i couldn't resist when the tix would drop at some venue driving distance from me lol. now in retrospect, i'm glad i went.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The people I feel most sorry for are the ones who couldn't/didn't go to the last tour. I've been chided (lovingly by my family) for going to multiple shows and my response is always the same---FM is old, someone could die and I'd never forgive myself for missing a show that I could have gone to. For example: I live in the Chicago suburbs so I can drive into the city or drive to Milwaukee to see them. The time, distance and hassle is roughly the same. Why the hell wouldn't I go to both shows! When you tack on all the musical greats we've lost in the past few years it makes perfect sense to me.

Im one of those fans who never got to experience a FM tour and this one was gonna be my first, so you can imagine my disappointment. To say the least.

Thanks for your kind words.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:26 PM
Junior Ledgie

I was lucky in so much that I got to see them twice, once in 2003 on the tour supporting Say You Will and then again in 2013, which would be the last tour before Christine rejoined.

I really wanted to see them the last time around, but with tickets approaching $200+ apiece, I just couldn't justify it the last time, especially with the farewell tour supposedly just around the corner. I was going to shell out whatever outrageous price they were going to ask for for the farewell tour, both because it was the farewell tour as well as the only time I'd get to see the main 5 together on stage. I guess, in some way, I should be thankful now that I won't have to shell out several hundred dollars to see a concert.