User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Heart Revisiting LB Solo Albums

I've been listening to Lindsey's solo work a lot lately. Here is my take on them as of today:

Law & Order - This album and GI are two of the more difficult albums for folks to get into. I get that. They are more abstract. I am appreciating BOTH albums more and more. I love the country sound throughout. Such a mish-mash of sounds and styles. A wierd, fun debut album!

Go Insane - More experimenting with vocals, instruments, sounds! Go Insane still gets my head boppin'. "I lost my power in this world, 'cuz I did not use it..." remains some of my fave lyrics EVER. Wish he'd revisit that gorgeous solo at the end of Slow Dancing. GI is chock full of sexual desire and then ends with a spiritual ode. Heh, love it. DW Suite has really touched my heart a lot lately.

Out of the Cradle - 8 years and a very different sound, yet again! I feel like L&O and GI were Lindsey in his teen years and this is LB as an adult. Some of his prettiest songs are on OOTC along with some of his most beautiful guitar work. I remember listening to this on a trip to Colorado, and the album just overwhelmed me as we drove through the majestic mountains. It's FLAWLESS. "When the darkness comes, you've got to fly into the light..."

Under the Skin - Another left turn. The title song remains my fave..it's just so gorgeous. This is the album I listen to when I wanna chill out. Soft and tender. Shut Us Down just blows my mind. There's that country influence again in Down on Rodeo as well. This was a worthy album coming after another long drought.

Gift of Screws - I think this is my new favorite LB album. It's raw and snarly with a Wall of Soundness to it, full and robust. The heavy guitar work just makes my millenium. Love Runs Deeper (my fave since I first heard it) just makes me wanna get up and dance!! The maniacal laughter in GOS...PUNK. I am about to buy another copy of GOS to give as a gift.

Seeds We Sow - Such an amazing, pleasant album. Stars Are Crazy is still my fave, I think. It's just a gorgeous vocal. Lyrically, Lindsey has grown in leaps and bounds on the solo albums. Please Lindsey, as much as I adore this album, don't let it be your last!
Old 06-04-2016, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it's a credit to Lindsey's endurance that Seeds We Sow and Gift of Screws are every bit as creative and quirky as the earlier albums. They are just as good. Michele
Old 06-05-2016, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Out of the Cradle & Seeds We Sow are great, but Law & Order is my personal favorite. Many fantastic gems are on all of these albums.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:59 AM

I really really really love Go Insane. My favorite.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847 View Post
I've been listening to Lindsey's solo work a lot lately. Here is my take on them as of today:

Law & Order - This album and GI are two of the more difficult albums for folks to get into. I get that. They are more abstract. I am appreciating BOTH albums more and more. I love the country sound throughout. Such a mish-mash of sounds and styles. A wierd, fun debut album!

Go Insane - More experimenting with vocals, instruments, sounds! Go Insane still gets my head boppin'. "I lost my power in this world, 'cuz I did not use it..." remains some of my fave lyrics EVER. Wish he'd revisit that gorgeous solo at the end of Slow Dancing. GI is chock full of sexual desire and then ends with a spiritual ode. Heh, love it. DW Suite has really touched my heart a lot lately.

Out of the Cradle - 8 years and a very different sound, yet again! I feel like L&O and GI were Lindsey in his teen years and this is LB as an adult. Some of his prettiest songs are on OOTC along with some of his most beautiful guitar work. I remember listening to this on a trip to Colorado, and the album just overwhelmed me as we drove through the majestic mountains. It's FLAWLESS. "When the darkness comes, you've got to fly into the light..."

Under the Skin - Another left turn. The title song remains my fave..it's just so gorgeous. This is the album I listen to when I wanna chill out. Soft and tender. Shut Us Down just blows my mind. There's that country influence again in Down on Rodeo as well. This was a worthy album coming after another long drought.

Gift of Screws - I think this is my new favorite LB album. It's raw and snarly with a Wall of Soundness to it, full and robust. The heavy guitar work just makes my millenium. Love Runs Deeper (my fave since I first heard it) just makes me wanna get up and dance!! The maniacal laughter in GOS...PUNK. I am about to buy another copy of GOS to give as a gift.

Seeds We Sow - Such an amazing, pleasant album. Stars Are Crazy is still my fave, I think. It's just a gorgeous vocal. Lyrically, Lindsey has grown in leaps and bounds on the solo albums. Please Lindsey, as much as I adore this album, don't let it be your last!
love seeing you back here wondergirl!

and love all these threads and posts you contributed recently. my favorite LB album is Seeds, maybe because it came out since i've been a fan, while all the others were already there at the time.

i love how creative Lindsey has been in the last decade plus, and love how great and forward moving his recent musical output is.

which is making me even more unhappy with all that forward motion being stalled and really brought to a screeching halt since 2012, while he's been waiting for some movement on that FM album. we could have had several solo albums with everything he's been creating. but all that is just sitting there, waiting.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-07-2016, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Dig all his albums. I think it's a good time for a Best of/Greatest Hits with maybe a couple new tracks.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:36 PM
Senior Ledgie

I really like LB's solo albums, particularly the most recent ones. The songwriting is top notch, and I'm sure that many of these songs would be hits if given the epic arrangement treatments. But, I like the slightly sparse slightly low-fi arrangements and production.

Gift of Screws is my favourite too, but Under The Skin and Seeds We Sow are close. And, the LB solo album that forms part of Say You Will is up there too.