User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I feel he has a much different fan base than the Mac. The Petty concert I went to several years back had a lot of frat boys, and generally white bread preppy people.
Are you sure you're not talking about Dave Matthews?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Huh? This was my response when I heard this on my local, classic rock radio station. A lady called up & requested an Eagles song since the radio station announced that they were touring with Fleetwood Mac. News to me & I came right here. What happened to the new Mac album/tour coming? I love Hall & Oates; I think they with Fleetwood Mac would have been a better choice, at least for me, but the Eagles? And no offense to Henleyfan & all the Eagles fans, but when I saw Don with Stevie, I wasn't impressed. I've never seen the Eagles live & I really don't have no desire to though I like their music. I don't think it's a good mix. And I think something gets lost when they team up groups/artists together. And as someone has said, you're far away, the sound is bad in stadiums, etc. The tickets will be out of site price wise. Why would these bands do this? It has to be all about the money.

Lee
Definitely Daryl Hall/John Oates would be a far better choice. They are different than FMac, but different in a way that they would not take away from each other by sharing a tour. I like The Eagles okay, but I feel Fleetwood Mac would get the short end of the deal in this. They don't need to lower themselves to 'opening act' status.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:19 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
Definitely Daryl Hall/John Oates would be a far better choice. They are different than FMac, but different in a way that they would not take away from each other by sharing a tour.
Yeah, but there's not enough money in that.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I can tell you that I definitely plan on going to the Dodger Stadium and SanFrancisco concerts if they come to fruition. At&T pak(formerly Pac Bell) in San Francisco is one of my favorite baseball parks Ive been to, just an incredible setting right on the bay. Others, I'll have to see. But I have to admit I'm getting more interestedf in this everyday. I wonder how much interaction the 2 bands would have before showtime and in between. That should be interesting, especially since Lindsey has gone on record dissing the Eagles from time to time.

Last edited by DavidMn; 12-19-2009 at 12:27 AM..
Old 12-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Ledgie

Hall and Oates???! You have got to be KIDDING ME. Seriously. Really. I'd been dying by the end of Hall and Oates set ...I mean.....Man Eater?!

The other band I think of in the same era is The Eagles even ON THE CHARTS (Ahem. Rumours and Hotel California anyone?!). It IS logical. Pricey, yes, ...logical, yes.

"All I ever wanted .. was to know that you were dreaming ..."
Old 12-19-2009, 01:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwing80 View Post
Hall and Oates???! You have got to be KIDDING ME. Seriously. Really. I'd been dying by the end of Hall and Oates set ...I mean.....Man Eater?!

The other band I think of in the same era is The Eagles even ON THE CHARTS (Ahem. Rumours and Hotel California anyone?!). It IS logical. Pricey, yes, ...logical, yes.
IN their day, H&O kicked ass! I saw them with ELO(in junior high, I didn't even want to go, and my friend talked me into it), I left with, "OMG, that opening band was AWESOME!" Their harmonies, and G.E. Smith on guitar,...... I was a huge fan after that. I don't care much for their new stuff now, BUT, I can almost say the same of FM!
Yeah, some of their music doesn't stand the test of time very well, but some of it, does! Sara Smile, Rich Girl, Wait For Me... yeah, it's pop. Tell me that Stand Back isn't.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:18 AM
shebop
This message has been deleted by shebop. Reason: response to earlier post
Old 12-19-2009, 03:25 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I just don't know that a Mac/Tom Petty double billing makes a lot of sense, or would go over particularly well. Petty has always been continuously active in the recording industry, and I feel he has a much different fan base than the Mac. The Petty concert I went to several years back had a lot of frat boys, and generally white bread preppy people. Fleetwood Mac concerts are a big hodgepodge of people... but generally frat boys and preppies aren't among them. There is a bigger goth, alternative, gay and lesbian, and hippie following in the Mac than there are white folk in khaki shorts and polo shirts.
Not the case in Los Angeles! I've seen these three bands numerous times since the 70's and the audiences have been interchangeable. I grew up an Eagles fan, but have been disappointed with their live show in recent years.
Now Petty? Never a bad show.......
Old 12-19-2009, 05:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This honestly makes me want to cry. Fleetwood Mac isn't even finished with the current greatest hits tour.

I honestly feel like they are bull****ting around in order to avoid going back into the studio. They're riding off their Rumours fame until they literally can't sell a single ticket.

I mean, that's the pessimistic way to look at things.... but its definitely possible. They could be throwing the towel in on themselves.

I repeat: I want to cry.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Peetsie, I love your idea. I'm afraid that so many people would be restless while Lindsey was performing that it would frustrate him (like opening for Tina Turner did), so I don't know if it would work. But I love the idea of having his solo work exposed to so many people. He might pick up a few new fans.

Michele
Oh yes, it could never work and Lindsey would end up flipping out at some point during the tour when people are still coming in and being loud when he plays an extended, super avant-garde version of Play In The Rain or when he's trying to give a speech about how his solo stuff is so unappreciated by the record company that he doesn't even know if his single is really a single. In the world inside my head everyone would be in the arena and quiet. They'd watch the show and love it and Lindsey would continue to put out solo albums to coincide with Mac cash-in tours since he knows he'd have a platform for them.

Pity it'll never happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
This honestly makes me want to cry. Fleetwood Mac isn't even finished with the current greatest hits tour.

I honestly feel like they are bull****ting around in order to avoid going back into the studio. They're riding off their Rumours fame until they literally can't sell a single ticket.
That's what it feels like. I wasn't happy about the news that the Unleashed tour was greatest hits and this just drives that further him. As much as I enjoyed the Unleashed shows that I saw I'd have rather had new music and some tracks from SYW rather than ignoring it completely.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
IN their day, H&O kicked ass! I saw them with ELO(in junior high, I didn't even want to go, and my friend talked me into it), I left with, "OMG, that opening band was AWESOME!" Their harmonies, and G.E. Smith on guitar,...... I was a huge fan after that. I don't care much for their new stuff now, BUT, I can almost say the same of FM!
Yeah, some of their music doesn't stand the test of time very well, but some of it, does! Sara Smile, Rich Girl, Wait For Me... yeah, it's pop. Tell me that Stand Back isn't.
I saw Fleetwood Mac years ago at Wembley Stadium and I think Manchester as well, and Hall and Oates were like a kind of support group, with another well known act (I can't remember who - dementia has set in!). It worked really well, but Fleetwood Mac were the 'big' act. That is not the case with the Mac and the Eagles. I am not sure I would want to watch the Eagles after sitting through a Mac concert - I like to go off and talk about the show and keep my memories!! and re live the concert. I wouldn't mind seeing the Eagles first though - strange it may seem.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post

I mean, that's the pessimistic way to look at things.... but its definitely possible. They could be throwing the towel in on themselves.

I repeat: I want to cry.
have a good cry. You'll feel much better.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 12-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Eagles and Fleetwood Mac Plan the Mother of All Classic Rock Concert Tours
December 19, 2009 by Ron Hart

The 1970's Rockers Prove Who Will Make it in the Long Run in 2010

Classic rock legends Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles are planning a summer tour that would bring the two 1970's rock legends together to play a series of concerts in football and baseball stadiums. It is not clear whether the Eagles or Fleetwood Mac would open the concert, nor is it clear who would close it. It also has not been announced whether or not the two bands would play together. No matter what the answers to these question, it would be undoubtedly an historic rock and roll event.

During their heyday, both the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac could sell out stadiums on their own if they announced that they would be singing the phone book. Even today, both acts are among the most popular rock bands on the concert circuit. As they combine forces, however, they will be easily the most most in demand ticket of the summer.

Rock and roll concerts have changed. There are really only a handful of acts, mostly older, at this point that can sell out large stadiums on their own. U2, Bruce Springsteen and maybe the Rolling Stones are the only bands that can still draw huge crowds. While the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac are huge draws on their own as well, generally their acts and music do not really translate to huge stadiums quite as well. Neither the Eagles nor Fleetwood Mac are rock spectacles, exactly. Both bands offer music that is lower key and even a bit more nuanced than the bombastic shows of U2 or Springsteen.

That said, both the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac are the authors of some of the signature anthems of rock and roll. There is nobody on the planet, it would seem, that doesn't immediately recognize the opening chords of the Eagles' Hotel California. Likewise, Fleetwood Mach has a seemingly inexhaustible catalogue of classic rock staples.

Of course, the 300 pound elephant in the room is the age of these bands and their fan bases. While both have fans across the age spectrum, the average age of each is well into the baby boomer range. It will be interesting, to say the least, to see sixty to seventy thousand greying (or greyed) baby boomers packing football stadiums rocking along one last time to the bands of their youth.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...he.html?cat=33
Old 12-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
It will be interesting, to say the least, to see sixty to seventy thousand greying (or greyed) baby boomers packing football stadiums rocking along one last time to the bands of their youth
Good grief, do they have to make it sound so depressing???
Old 12-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Yeah, but there's not enough money in that.
Probably not, but of course Fleetwood Mac doesn't care about money!
Old 12-19-2009, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Saturday, December 19, 2009
Eagles, Fleetwood Mac To Tour Together In 2010
Next summer will be a dream come true for soft rock fans, as the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac will hit the road together. Plans are under way for the two groups to do one-off shows in football and baseball stadiums, and multiple nights in arenas. If this happens, it will be the first time since July 1976 in Foxboro, Massachusetts, that the two bands shared a stage.

Stevie Nicks and Don Henley played a few shows together in 2005, the same year a tour between the two groups was first proposed. If this tour comes together, Stevie Nicks will be sharing the stage with four ex-boyfriends -- Lindsey Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood, Don Henley and Joe Walsh.

http://vintagerocknews.blogspot.com/...-together.html