User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Well, I am here to tell you Gerald and I sat and chatted for at least an hour and had a blast!!!!!!!!!!

But, Lord Child - I got overserved
Boozing coctails in the tempo I use killing corona's: that asking for problems dear.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller
I wish we could have visited more at the Dallas show Gerald! From our brief interaction you seemed like a really cool guy. My husband really enjoyed talking to you too!

Anyway, I'm glad you fight to the death for your favorite guitar player, I think he's rad and I don't take too kindly to music snobs telling me "he's not the best" and then letting that statement proceed to knock him down a notch on the old musician scale and overshadow his amazing and unique style. I much prefer his playing to Clapton why? Because Clapton bores me to tears, leaves me cold, meh, blah, whatever, blues riff this, blues riff that, it's all formulaic wankering. Lindsey's playing is edgy, fun, manic, crazy, beautiful, heartbreaking, and downright hooky and foot-stomping all on the same record. In short, his playing moves me too, and for that, he is one of MY favorite guitarists. End of story.
DENG. there it is. We SHOULD have boozed more together!

I had the time of my life over there. Not only in a musical sense, but in a social and emotional sense too.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
Boozing coctails in the tempo I use killing corona's: that asking for problems dear.
Gerald. Do you remember that dodgy bar on Kensington High Street? The one with the huge round table? I remember drinking a mojito at the bar and seteca feeling ill after playing it safe with a coke.

Seems like so long ago.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac
He's not been "manic" as far as I know. .
Opposed to clapton he's as manic as man can get.
Quote:
The Come solo's were really nothing a moderately good guitarist couldn't attempt.
That repeating argunet says so little. I couldn't care less how difficult it is to play: It was thrilling, passionate and full of tension. And the effect? ENORMOUS! Even the stupid americans who left Come for a piss a **** and a burger (not necessarily in that order) came back into the Arena and still went Even those who came for Stevie: he had them by the balls. THAT is a performer.

Quote:
From what I understand (maybe a Stevie fan can add some info) she refused to be onstage during that song for whatever reasons, maybe it's the lyrical content or it's his antics I don't know personally. I did notice from my experiences it was the song chosen by the crowds at every gig I was at to go for a drinks/pee break. She could have sung on it I'm sure. She sings on ISA so whats the difference? Apart from Lindsey's little spotlight stint with Big Love or Go Insane she would be expected to stay onstage really.
She loved his antics. "lindsey is playing these incredible guitarsolo's. We all think: he's going crazy!"

She hates if people really think this lyric is about her. It isn't but hey we all know that doesn't count in the macenvironment. EVERYBODY would think it IS about her. Maybe everybody DOES even when she's NOT singing it. She does not like to be confronted with that. That's why she hates it. Perceptionreasons. Not artistic.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well this is a great thread. Lots of good interaction and no petulance unlike another popular forum here.

If I could use an analogy to sum up what these guys mentioned mean to me then it might make more sense. This is something Chris Rea used to describe himself in the business and I think it works.

Eric Clapton is to me Coca Cola. He's very popular, sells millions and has been a major brand name for decades. I love coke, I can't go for long periods without cracking a can open and enjoying that taste. But Coca Cola is very mainstream and you know that when you buy a can it will taste like all the previous ones you have drunk. But if you like it (and millions do) then you enjoy it. It's a predictable but very enjoyable experience. It can be semi addictive.

David Gilmour to me is like coffee. Most people would argue it tastes better with milk (milk being Roger Waters) but drunk neat it has a strong and rich flavour that tastes very different from a cappucino but not any less pleasant. His earlier solo work, like Lindsey, is experimental and to me considered a double shot of espresso. It's not as popular as cappucino but it's a great experience if you take the plunge.

Lindsey Buckingham is to me like absinthe. Very strong and individual. I don't drink it often but when the mood takes me I have to have a hit of the stuff. It's frowned upon in the mainstream drinks industry but is rarely understood. It's not advised to take in too much in one go but when you do it's like nothing else. Experts will tell you it's a fine drink with a very agreeable flavour but the side effects can be quite extreme. You can take it in the acceptable form with water and sugar (Mac and Nicks) and get away with it without being labelled a nutjob. If you however choose to take it neat it's far more potent and you are likely to get strange looks from the masses.

Mark Knopfler is to me like Hot Chocolate. Rich and smooth, very mellow and not offensive. Great to chill out to and can be used to send you to sleep before bedtime. :

Peter Green. Peter is like Jack Daniels to me. My favorite drink. Sometimes you can mix it with coke (Eric) but taken straight it's a full, strong flavour with sends fire to my heart. It's important not to drink too much but to treat it with respect and drink it when the mood and time allows. Although it's great in public, you can sit back at home, pour a JD and immerse yourself in the moment. It chills me out. :
Holy frick man. If you been in amsterdam or what?

But this clears everything. Absinthe and jack daniels. Fock the rest.

PS Mixing bourbon is killing it.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Gerald. Do you remember that dodgy bar on Kensington High Street? The one with the huge round table? I remember drinking a mojito at the bar and seteca feeling ill after playing it safe with a coke.

Seems like so long ago.
I need a JD with you.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Opposed to clapton he's as manic as man can get.
Depends. On stage Clapton's hands did everything, the rest of him didn't. I think, certainly in the 60's Eric played more for himself than he did for his audience. Off stage Eric's life was a thousand times more manic and tragic, you cannot deny that one.

Quote:
That repeating argunet says so little. I couldn't care less how difficult it is to play: It was thrilling, passionate and full of tension. And the effect? ENORMOUS! Even the stupid americans who left Come for a piss a **** and a burger (not necessarily in that order) came back into the Arena and still went Even those who came for Stevie: he had them by the balls. THAT is a performer..
It wasn't a criticism Gerald, just a fact. You can't play an intricate and crafted piece when you are flapping about like an hysterical owl. I didn't argue it wasn't thrilling to watch. I do agree it was mostly the Americans that went for a "piss, ****, burger" break during Come. The Europeans just absorbed it all or went out for a spliff instead!. (not that I'm suggesting Tommer smoked anything at Earls Court. ) I took my break to sit down or eat something during Landslide. It bores me rigid every time.

Quote:
She hates if people really think this lyric is about her. It isn't but hey we all know that doesn't count in the macenvironment. EVERYBODY would think it IS about her. Maybe everybody DOES even when she's NOT singing it. She does not like to be confronted with that. That's why she hates it. Perceptionreasons. Not artistic.
Well that seems the most probable reason although it ends up giving a more clear assumption it was about her and not of course Heche by her absence. I don 't believe for a second it's about her but the shippers might have other ideas.

Last edited by madformac; 03-24-2006 at 03:19 PM..
Old 03-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Holy frick man. If you been in amsterdam or what?
I think maybe a Dutch way of clarifying things would be in terms of a substances scale.

Clapton = Cocaine (or maybe its J.J. Cale? )

Gilmour = Mushrooms

Buckingham = Speed

Knopfler = Cannabis

Green = LSD
Old 03-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Off stage Eric's life was a thousand times more manic and tragic, you cannot deny that one.
yeah that's his interesting side

Quote:
It wasn't a criticism Gerald, just a fact. You can't play an intricate and crafted piece when you are flapping about like an hysterical owl. I didn't argue it wasn't thrilling to watch. I do agree it was mostly the Americans that went for a "piss, ****, burger" break during Come. The Europeans just absorbed it all or went out for a spliff instead!. (not that I'm suggesting Tommer smoked anything at Earls Court. ) I took my break to sit down or eat something during Landslide. It bores me rigid every time.
I haven't had one break in four concerts. In Oklahomacity and london I even didn't touch my chair. Oklahoma was just standing up on row 6 lindsey's side with both hands in my hair screaming every song from beginning to end jumping up and down not fighting my tears. At least that's what Livia and Brian J on row 15 center told me afterwards

Quote:
Well that seems the most probable reason although it ends up giving a more clear assumption it was about her and not of course Heche by her absence. I don 't believe for a second it's about her but the shippers might have other ideas.
Of course it's not about stevie. But we all know that the association is there even if you know it's bull. SHE knows it too. So does he. Wicked.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think maybe a Dutch way of clarifying things would be in terms of a substances scale.

Clapton = Cocaine (or maybe its J.J. Cale? )

Gilmour = Mushrooms

Buckingham = Speed

Knopfler = Cannabis

Green = LSD

no. clapton= pills.....

placebo's

Old 03-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
no. clapton= pills.....

placebo's
You ****.

Old 03-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I haven't had one break in four concerts.
First gig I was on something like row 25 so I stood, sat, stood sat. Whatever the crowd did. Second and third nights I was leaning on Lindsey's monitor speaker by his feet so I didn't go anywhere! Only a total dick would leave that spot I remember seteca tell some dumb blonde stood right in front of one of the 2500 watt PA speakers she would need to put her earplugs in just before The Chain.. She replied "Why?"

Last gig I was about 30 rows back so I could picnic during the downtime (landslide) Good job I wasn't stood in the spot I was the night before or I would have been right in the middle of that Tusk fight!
Old 03-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
When you read biographical material on Beethoven, you're constantly saying, 'Oh, grow up!' because it feels as if you were dealing with an extremely neurotic petulant child.
The problem with Beethoven was that he just wouldn't LISTEN to anyone.

(sort of like Gerald)
Old 03-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
The problem with Beethoven was that he just wouldn't LISTEN to anyone.

(sort of like Gerald)
I don't think Beethoven's problem was wouldn't so much as couldn't.

(unlike Gerald)
Old 03-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Lmao!

Quote:
I remember seteca tell some dumb blonde stood right in front of one of the 2500 watt PA speakers she would need to put her earplugs in just before The Chain. She replied "Why?"
I remember a dumb blonde (was it the same one?) asking me if I were from Texas.....England.