The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think SECOND TIME is the best song on this album. I wish it had a better lead vocal (Stevie logy & sort of fatigued), but it's a touching lyric onto which I was easily able to project my "interpretation," & the musical structure is all there. Love the use of the dominant 7ths as passing chords, or transitions.

Nice little acoustic guitar song with bad engineering & a bad production idea (the synthesizer lead & the doubled-up harmony vocal by Nicks herself when it should have been Billy or Rick).

I don't like the other two or three Nicks songs at all. The pretense is bull**** & the musical sludge all over the tracks is impossible to ignore. Even by 1990, I thought Nicks as a songwriter was just about dead. I was so sick of hearing about the alter-ego character walking down "long hallways" or wondering "how she would live & die" & so on. Stevie's songwriting formula was Line 1: cliche + Line 2: cliche + Line 3: two cliches + Line 4: back to one cliche + Line 5: make it three cliches + . . . . It took millions of fans to project all their neuroses onto her phony-baloney ABC Afterschool Special romantic melodrama, "The Teen Years: Well Into My 40s."

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^Bravo, David!
Old 11-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I don't like the other two or three Nicks songs at all. The pretense is bull**** & the musical sludge all over the tracks is impossible to ignore. Even by 1990, I thought Nicks as a songwriter was just about dead. I was so sick of hearing about the alter-ego character walking down "long hallways" or wondering "how she would live & die" & so on. Stevie's songwriting formula was Line 1: cliche + Line 2: cliche + Line 3: two cliches + Line 4: back to one cliche + Line 5: make it three cliches + . . . . It took millions of fans to project all their neuroses onto her phony-baloney ABC Afterschool Special romantic melodrama, "The Teen Years: Well Into My 40s."
Wow, the gloves are off, and I like it.

I think I'm a little Nicks (nixed) out right now.
If her new album isn't good she's going to fall
down my list. But hey, she and the rest of the
Mac had a pretty good run.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think SECOND TIME is the best song on this album. I wish it had a better lead vocal (Stevie logy & sort of fatigued), but it's a touching lyric onto which I was easily able to project my "interpretation," & the musical structure is all there. Love the use of the dominant 7ths as passing chords, or transitions.

Nice little acoustic guitar song with bad engineering & a bad production idea (the synthesizer lead & the doubled-up harmony vocal by Nicks herself when it should have been Billy or Rick).

This....coming from someone who prefers Beethoven to rock. Serious lack of credibility...even from a self-professed (former?) Stevie Nicks fan.

Again...listen to Yoko, then to "The Second Time"...which will incite self-harm? I'd say the Nicks song.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
This....coming from someone who prefers Beethoven to rock. Serious lack of credibility...even from a self-professed (former?) Stevie Nicks fan.

Again...listen to Yoko, then to "The Second Time"...which will incite self-harm? I'd say the Nicks song.
I had no idea there was a chiffonhead in you screaming to get out. It's a bit of a shock, to say the least.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I had no idea there was a chiffonhead in you screaming to get out. It's a bit of a shock, to say the least.
Yeah, sure, like Napoleon was Beethoven's BFF....NOT!!!!