Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Junior Ledgie

Thumbs up Gift of Screws thoughts

What a masterpiece this is... it took me 3 listens to really appreciate it.... "underground" and "treason" may very well be the two best songs he has ever written... listen to those words .... "undergound" is about his musical journey in life...rejection , insecurity,and ultimately coming out the other side a much better man... its all there.. wow...
"treason" I think is squarely written for Stevie....those two songs so much remind me of my favorite moments of the "tusk" album....incredible...
"great day" is something else as well...to take the joyous words of your young son and turn it into something that complex and beautiful....
I'm so happy for Lindsey that he is finally content in life....it really shows in his writing and renewed optimism for furture projects including Fleetwood Mac.
Thanks Lindsey
Old 09-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's a great summation oceantales (love the name). I think Great Day is special because he was able to "collaborate" with his child.

I actually love it when some of my favorite artists do that. Like Paul Simon did the Father and Daughter song about his little girl and then his son sings on the chorus, or John Lennon doing Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy) for Sean...I love Sean...such a wonderful artist these days.

Shoot, even Sara by Dylan...it's sweet to hear that love coming through. Not necessarily for voyeuristic purposes, but it does show another side of their humaneness. I think.

Thanks for sharing!

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL

Last edited by Nico; 09-21-2008 at 07:15 PM..
Old 09-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantales View Post
"underground" and "treason" may very well be the two best songs he has ever written.
I agree 100%. Those 2 songs on my first album listen were the ones that stuck out for me and struck a deep chord within me.

The album is brilliant and I'm a guy who still thinks Law & Order was his best album. GOS is now up there for me.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
That's a great summation oceantales (love the name). I think Great Day is special because he was able to "collaborate" with his child.

I actually love it when some of my favorite artists do that. Like Paul Simon did the Father and Daughter song about his little girl and then his son sings on the chorus, or John Lennon doing Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy) for Sean...I love Sean...such a wonderful artist these days.

Shoot, even Sara by Dylan...it's sweet to hear that love coming through. Not necessarily for voyeuristic purposes, but it does show another side of their humaneness. I think.

Thanks for sharing!
I don't even know the songs he was talking about, but I remember reading an interview where Paul McCartney said he was singing to his daughters and his little boy was looking on watching him, so then Paul wrote a song for his son too, because he said he wasn't about to have the boy left out. Of course, we know Hey Jude was kind of for Julian, going through a difficult time with the break up of his parents, which was also sweet of Paul.

Michele
Old 09-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don't even know the songs he was talking about, but I remember reading an interview where Paul McCartney said he was singing to his daughters and his little boy was looking on watching him, so then Paul wrote a song for his son too, because he said he wasn't about to have the boy left out. Of course, we know Hey Jude was kind of for Julian, going through a difficult time with the break up of his parents, which was also sweet of Paul.

Michele
I know the song Young Boy was written for James McCartney, and so was Put It There (kind of Paul remembering his own dad as well). He's very family-oriented in his songs...particularly Wings era.

I was thinking, on a sad note, that Tears in Heaven was a gorgeous father-son song. Always makes me cry.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:48 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
I agree 100%. Those 2 songs on my first album listen were the ones that stuck out for me and struck a deep chord within me.

The album is brilliant and I'm a guy who still thinks Law & Order was his best album. GOS is now up there for me.

I love Law and Order... in fact I hope someday Lindsey does an album of all tunes like September Song and Satisfied Mind... covers of very old songs... he has such a great way of interpreting those
on first listen of the new album the thing that stood out most to me was the way Lindsey sang the words "deep down" on "treason" and the perfect backing music to it...that and the perfect tension and release created by those wild little riffs and sounds used in "great day"..
Old 09-22-2008, 01:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
the thing that stood out most to me was the way Lindsey sang the words "deep down" on "treason" and the perfect backing music to it...that and the perfect tension and release created by those wild little riffs and sounds used in "great day"..
Well, there's one "deep down" that gets to me. That's the one after he says, "I saw your face full of grace, searching for me" and then "deep down" coming after that line feels like an upsurge of hope or triumph. It's like the reason and the freedom that the song is talking about, finally coming to fruition. The lost thing is found. I think the whole sentiment of the song comes to a head and culminates at around that point. Michele
Old 09-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

I looked @ all the reviews for GOS on line & here. I downloaded GOS on Friday night from iTunes. (I won a $25 iTunes gift card, so really, what did I have to lose?) Put it on my iPod & burned a back-up CD. My printer (which I can't stand) printed out Lindsey's picture with a pink tone. (Please someone recommend a good printer!) Anyway I took the CD with me on the way to the Nascar race in Dover Downs yesterday. My initial reaction, I like it but don't really like Time Precious Time. So today, I took off from work ( a recovery day from the race). I listened to half going back & forth to a few stores, & the other half while doing my back strengthening exercises. My second reaction, I still like it & I still don't Time Precious Time. I don't know. I don't know what it is, but the rest of the album I like. I really think that it has a Fleetwood Mac feel. And yeah, I know Mick & John are in there somewhere. And see this is why I sometimes don't like iTunes, no liner notes, not even a little on-line booklet with this. And I don't know who is singing background in some of the songs. And if I had to pick favorites, it would be hard right now because I like them all except of course for Time Precious Time. I did not get Under The Skin because after reading the reviews & previewing the songs, it just wasn't for me. The only other solo Lindsey CD I have it Out of the Cradle which I like. But I can't compare the two (GOS & OOTC). They both just have a different tone about them.

Lee
Old 09-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
And see this is why I sometimes don't like iTunes, no liner notes, not even a little on-line booklet with this. And I don't know who is singing background in some of the songs.
I posted the booklet here:

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showpo...68&postcount=4
Old 09-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I looked @ all the reviews for GOS on line & here. I downloaded GOS on Friday night from iTunes. (I won a $25 iTunes gift card, so really, what did I have to lose?) Put it on my iPod & burned a back-up CD. My printer (which I can't stand) printed out Lindsey's picture with a pink tone. (Please someone recommend a good printer!) Anyway I took the CD with me on the way to the Nascar race in Dover Downs yesterday. My initial reaction, I like it but don't really like Time Precious Time. So today, I took off from work ( a recovery day from the race). I listened to half going back & forth to a few stores, & the other half while doing my back strengthening exercises. My second reaction, I still like it & I still don't Time Precious Time. I don't know. I don't know what it is, but the rest of the album I like. I really think that it has a Fleetwood Mac feel. And yeah, I know Mick & John are in there somewhere. And see this is why I sometimes don't like iTunes, no liner notes, not even a little on-line booklet with this. And I don't know who is singing background in some of the songs. And if I had to pick favorites, it would be hard right now because I like them all except of course for Time Precious Time. I did not get Under The Skin because after reading the reviews & previewing the songs, it just wasn't for me. The only other solo Lindsey CD I have it Out of the Cradle which I like. But I can't compare the two (GOS & OOTC). They both just have a different tone about them.

Lee
I wonder what you feel about Time precious time. Do you like it?
Old 09-23-2008, 12:36 AM
Senior Ledgie

I like all the songs but really never will like Love Runs Deeper. Lyrically, I have nothing against it, but musically, how generic. By the end of it, I feel I've heard all the musical workings in previous songs that were way better lyrically anyway. What does this song aim to prove? It was You, Blue Letter, Go your own way and even hear a little Long Distance Winner interludes. And all of those are better songs imo.

Treason, Bel Air Rain, Great Day and Wait for you are the stand outs and carry the weight of making this his best solo to date!
Old 09-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I wonder what you feel about Time precious time. Do you like it?
Well, OK, I guess I overstated my point a bit. I just skip TPT now.

And thanks for posted the lyrics & liner notes, BTFLCHLD. I appreciate it.

Lee
Old 09-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I hope someday Lindsey does an album of all tunes like September Song and Satisfied Mind..
Surely you jest?

Satisfied Mind is lovely and all, but SEPTEMBER SONG???!!!!?? With all due respect, that is my absolute least favorite song he has ever, ever done. I would sit through ten hours of Not Too Late (well, maybe 8) and Family Man to avoid that mess.

But Law & Order is a pretty cool album, for Bwana, Mary Lee Jones and THWDIILA alone.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Back when we were trying to guess which songs would be on this new album and making our wishlist, I can actually remember myself hoping the title song wouldn't be on the album and someone said that the title song had to be there and I argued that it didn't and I didn't want it.

What a mistake it would have been to leave it out. GOS is perfect on the album and more perfect live. This album is one of the best versions of the GOS we have contemplated for 10 years that could have existed.

Michele
Old 09-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Ledgie

A Lindsey covers album would be great. He could put all those Stones covers that did for the original Gift Of Screws, plus anything as great as his version of Satisfied Mind would be a welcome addition to any cd. The Fleetwood Mac version of Dylan's Love Minus Zero/No Limit is pretty good too.