Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:38 AM
Senior Ledgie

Angry Fleetwood Mac leaves out Bob Welch era

Last night on VH1, they showed a 2013 production of the history of FM. They completely left out Bob Welch and the years from 1971-1975. It was a where are they now type thing with the pre BobWelch era and post Bob Welch era only. Now do you see what I mean when I say they are trying to rewrite history and delete my beloved husbands whole era. It is evident every time I turn around. I blame it totally on Mick Fleetwood who owns the name and Christine McVie who vindictively and does have a very malicious part of her soul for doing this. What is wrong with this picture. They really want to take Bob Welch's legacy away from him and change the true history of Fleetwood Mac? I find it unconscienable. Bob's book will come out next year with the real truth about that band and we will be honest. I would like to know what you all think about all the deletions of Bob' era all over the internet. Please respond honestly.
<3 Love in my heart and no hatred, just want Bob to get his due!
Old 12-12-2013, 09:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It is incredibly irritating how absent Bob's era is from much of the internet. The internet is where most music is based now, and with none of his albums being featured on sites like iTunes or Spotify, a thoroughly enjoyable group of albums has been rendered pretty inaccessible to emerging fans. Completely nonsensical, in my book.

< /preaching to the choir>

I look forward to picking up a copy of Bob's book in the new year. I've enjoyed reading his Q&As on this site and it will be nice to get more of his unique perspective and insight.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
It is incredibly irritating how absent Bob's era is from much of the internet. The internet is where most music is based now, and with none of his albums being featured on sites like iTunes or Spotify, a thoroughly enjoyable group of albums has been rendered pretty inaccessible to emerging fans. Completely nonsensical, in my book.

< /preaching to the choir>

I look forward to picking up a copy of Bob's book in the new year. I've enjoyed reading his Q&As on this site and it will be nice to get more of his unique perspective and insight.
On the bright side, I did see Mystery To Me at Sunrise Records last week. For only $4.99, but whatever gets you to buy multiple copies for all your friends.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Welch View Post
Last night on VH1, they showed a 2013 production of the history of FM. They completely left out Bob Welch and the years from 1971-1975. It was a where are they now type thing with the pre BobWelch era and post Bob Welch era only. Now do you see what I mean when I say they are trying to rewrite history and delete my beloved husbands whole era. It is evident every time I turn around. I blame it totally on Mick Fleetwood who owns the name and Christine McVie who vindictively and does have a very malicious part of her soul for doing this. What is wrong with this picture. They really want to take Bob Welch's legacy away from him and change the true history of Fleetwood Mac? I find it unconscienable. Bob's book will come out next year with the real truth about that band and we will be honest. I would like to know what you all think about all the deletions of Bob' era all over the internet. Please respond honestly.
<3 Love in my heart and no hatred, just want Bob to get his due!
Wendy, it's sad to hear about this.
I'm wondering WHY Mick or any of the other members would do this. What is your comment to that? With all respect, what did Bob Welch DO to be treated like this? Was there a conflict? Money issues? Bob speaking badly about band or band members in the press?? Mick, Christine, John and Stevie played on Bob's "Live At The Roxy" recorded in 1981. So what happened after that??? I'm not buying that this has to do with record sales.

You're posting very much about this here - naturally.
So what did Bob DO???

Last edited by dansven; 12-12-2013 at 11:51 AM..
Old 12-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sounds just like what Behind the Music did. Who cares if that era wasn't as successful as others? It's still a part of the history of the band. At least spend a feq minutes mentioning the lineup and the albums.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'msoAfraid95 View Post
Sounds just like what Behind the Music did. Who cares if that era wasn't as successful as others? It's still a part of the history of the band. At least spend a feq minutes mentioning the lineup and the albums.
Maybe it was Behind the Music. Someone said that they showed that on VH1 Classic again just a couple of weeks ago.

Michele
Old 12-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Maybe it was Behind the Music. Someone said that they showed that on VH1 Classic again just a couple of weeks ago.

Michele
If it is the Behind the Music episode, then it really does stink, because it really only covers the Rumours era. It barely mentions the original era, apart from Black Magic Woman, skips over 71-74 and 87-96.

There was a UK show that really wenr in depth about the band. I can't remember what it was called.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

As a counterpoint, Christine mentions her love of the Bob Welch Fleetwood Mac years in this brand new interview:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...ine-mcvie-nuns
Old 12-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
As a counterpoint, Christine mentions her love of the Bob Welch Fleetwood Mac years in this brand new interview:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...ine-mcvie-nuns
Ya beat me to the post, Louie!
Old 12-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'msoAfraid95 View Post
If it is the Behind the Music episode, then it really does stink, because it really only covers the Rumours era. It barely mentions the original era, apart from Black Magic Woman, skips over 71-74 and 87-96.

There was a UK show that really wenr in depth about the band. I can't remember what it was called.
Disney's Going Home documentary in '93/94 was one of the better ones as far as giving each incarnation their due, the Welch years could've been a bit longer, but then, it was a WHOLE lot more than I was expecting. The end, with a scene of Mick & John walking up a rural road together even hinted at the upcoming radical personnel changes.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Disney's Going Home documentary in '93/94 was one of the better ones as far as giving each incarnation their due, the Welch years could've been a bit longer, but then, it was a WHOLE lot more than I was expecting. The end, with a scene of Mick & John walking up a rural road together even hinted at the upcoming radical personnel changes.
I still hold all Fleetwood Mac documentaries/interviews/specials to the Going Home one. None has ever come close. I so wish I had a copy of it... I haven't seen it since the few times it aired back in '93/'94.

Last edited by louielouie2000; 12-12-2013 at 05:05 PM..
Old 12-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For those who are maybe "new" in this amazing FM world, it's rare to say that this is not new.
Personally, when I heard about Fleetwood Mac, I had two versions of the band: The first one, and the most important, the Rumours and TITN era band (forgetting FM '75, Tusk and Mirage). Then, the Peter Green's band, with Black Magic Woman as their most important song (maybe because Santana covered it). Rare, isn't it? I don't know if that happens in this side of the world, or in the whole world, sincerely.
All the time I only hear and read in other sites: "yes, FM, the band of Dreams, GYOW, Don't Stop, Little Lies and Landslide", or "Yes, FM. Their past singer was Peter Green". But nothing about Bob Welch, or Jeremy Spencer, or Danny Kirwan, or even Bob Weston. And I think is not fair, because Fleetwood Mac was, is and will be all of that and more. The appreciation for Bob Welch is well deserved, but with things like the absence of the 1971-1974 albums on sites like itunes and stuff, we won't know much more.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
The appreciation for Bob Welch is well deserved, but with things like the absence of the 1971-1974 albums on sites like itunes and stuff, we won't know much more.
I wonder how much of that is related to things like Cliff Adams/Davis?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If Christine in the Guardian said: "I loved the stuff we did with Bob Welch [in the early 70s]: Mystery To Me, Bare Trees, Future Games" why would she be the person keeping Bob from the R&R Hall? Or is it a clever ruse? I don't know anymore... I think part of it is that with so many members the line gets drawn someplace, but Bob was a major part.

Christine also makes a comment that leaves the impression Sandy Denny only sang, but she was a fantastic pianist and a very good acoustic guitarist too. Maybe she had her confused with Lulu or something?
Old 12-16-2013, 12:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
why would she be the person keeping Bob from the R&R Hall? Or is it a clever ruse?
Christine became a recluse in 1998, now she wants back in the band. Maybe she's reflected a bit more on those days and is over whatever was bothering her sixteen years ago.

Quote:
Christine also makes a comment that leaves the impression Sandy Denny only sang, but she was a fantastic pianist and a very good acoustic guitarist too. Maybe she had her confused with Lulu or something?
I'm betting that her primary exposure to Sandy Denny was during Sandy's first time around with Fairport Convention (when Richard Thompson was in the band), and Sandy didn't play an instrument on stage at that time.

ETA:

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 12-16-2013 at 12:32 AM..