Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default One More Go Of It...

It'd be nice to see her play Songbird one more time to close a show. No way I'm going to make a London show (let alone the right one in the end), but I hope she walks back out after Say Goodbye to play some grand piano. I'll live vicariously through YouTube and squeal at home.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
What comes next for you after the tour is over later this year?

If it were up to me, what I would do is go into the studio with Fleetwood Mac and actually finish an album and put out a whole album. Maybe look at stringing not a whole year, but a big chunk of time behind that [to tour] and do something that we have not done in years and years, which is string a few experiences together without these long breaks.
Now there's a novel idea!

I wish Stevie was as willing to strike while the iron's hot. They're not getting any younger, and it crushes me to think they might not make the most of their twilight years...
Old 05-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubrick2788 View Post
It'd be nice to see her play Songbird one more time to close a show. No way I'm going to make a London show (let alone the right one in the end), but I hope she walks back out after Say Goodbye to play some grand piano. I'll live vicariously through YouTube and squeal at home.
That's what I'm hoping to see (and record) at the O2 Friday night show.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
There’s a lesson there. We’ve all come to feel that we need to rely on the constructions of quite elaborate set design and the backdrop that changes from song to song and, really, this band, because we are a band of musicians and a great singer, we could go up there and with a couple of spotlights prevail probably just as well.
That was nice, Lindsey, to recognize that Stevie is a great singer.

The thing with Songbird, I don't know if she does it. It would take away from Lindsey's and Stevie's concert for a special guest to close it. How I see it, again: for Christine it all comes down to her confidence level and her humility (she's low key; she's not going to move attention away from the people the audience has paid to see for her).
Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubrick2788 View Post
The reason why I don't see this happening is because she's not in the band and probably would not want to close out their show with a solo performance.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I love how he's honest about the dynamic with them and their "mythology"-- they are indeed very aware of the shipper fantasies and blatantly do play to them. That said, he admits that there obviously is that whole history between them and that gets mixed in at times. I recall on an earlier thread folks wondering how all this Stevie shipper talk goes down with his family and clearly he has explained it to Kristen et al as the role he plays onstage and in the media. Truth somewhere in the middle perhaps. Wonder if he or his "people" have read some of the comments on boards like this....

Obviously he's come to see how sh&tty some of his past behavior to Stevie has been and how that would feed her distrust of him even to this day on some level. I respect him for seeing that so clearly and wanting to somehow make amends for that. It would seem Stevie isn't quite sure how much to trust it and is going to take her time before risking getting burned again... she still has her guard up somewhat with him. Totally understandable.

Thanks for posting Michele.
What does "shipper" mean?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
The thing with Songbird, I don't know if she does it. It would take away from Lindsey's and Stevie's concert for a special guest to close it. How I see it, again: for Christine it all comes down to her confidence level and her humility (she's low key; she's not going to move attention away from the people the audience has paid to see for her).
I just don't think of her as a special guest. All these years I've been paying to see four FM members, Christine is part of the reason that got me there.

In 1990, Lindsey didn't close the show, because there was an encore (Songbird) but I thought it was a little odd that he got the closing highlight, GYOW with Rick and Billy there. I loved it, but I wondered if they felt a little pushed aside, especially since Mick brought Lindsey out for the last bow and made a big deal out of him. But that was strange because Billy and Rick weren't in the band with Lindsey.

With Lindsey, Christine and Stevie having achieved so much together, I just don't consider her an outsider. She probably won't do Songbird, but if she did, it would seem perfectly natural to me.

Michele
Old 05-13-2013, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
Means people who support the Stevie and Lindsey relationship or any relationship to which the term is applied. Originated with the X-Files. Shippers vs. Noromos (being people who didn't see or didn't want a romantic relationship between Mulder and Scully).

Michele
Old 05-13-2013, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
Different things for different people. But it comes from relationship so in general it means you're a fan of or a supporter of a particular relationship in some capacity.

When we talk about shippers on this site, it's generally regarding Stevie and Lindsey's relationship.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It's nice that he's so open regarding writing about Stevie. Even I had not supposed all three of the new songs on "Extended Play" were about her.

I find the dynamics of their relationship fascinating and I love to discuss it, especially when interpreting lyrics. I also love it when they interact on stage. Their emotional interplay adds even more power to music that's already top notch, and I eat it up. Thus, I guess I am a "shipper" although I never really took to the term.

Last edited by sodascouts; 05-14-2013 at 01:48 AM..
Old 05-14-2013, 05:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Different things for different people. But it comes from relationship so in general it means you're a fan of or a supporter of a particular relationship in some capacity.

When we talk about shippers on this site, it's generally regarding Stevie and Lindsey's relationship.
I thought "shipper" was a short form of "worshipper"
Old 05-14-2013, 06:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It's always referred to support for specific relationships, as far as I've ever known. It's much more commonly used in book and television fandom. Fleetwood Mac is just so darn special like that.

Go to fanfiction.net comments sections if you want to see it used all the time.

I've actually never much cared about the L/S relationship dynamic. I've sort of taken it as just an interesting piece of trivia, and thought it was too bad that it's always made their collaborations a bit turbulent. The fact that people consider it a "mythology" is fascinating to me.

It would be great if Christine sang more than Don't Stop, but it would undoubtedly be other songs that involved the touring members of the band. Songbird seems unlikely, however lovely it is.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If she played the whole show, the London audience would be in for a real treat. But unless she rehearsed the songs, I find it pretty unlikely. She would never put herself in a position that is uncomfortable, not being sure about certain songs or how the band is performing them, especially in front of an audience. I also realize though for a performer you get such a drive when it's your song and you have haven't played it in a long time, how it sounds and what it means to you and to the real fans for the band to be doing it. Maybe we'll see You Make Loving Fun or Say You Love Me, that would be amazing. I agree that Don't Stop, however blase it is and how it's nowhere near her best work, is probably most likely. It is nice that Lindsey has left the door open. If I were him, I'd be excited to play some of her songs, since it's welcome change from what I'm playing night after night. I bet it wholly depends on Chris' confidence, as well as her humility (she certainly is not one to take the spotlight away from Stevie and Lindsey, the touring group who the audience has paid to see).

She did 'Get Like You Used To Be' in Maui, so I just wonder if she wouldn't do another song. Part of me thinks, though, that if she does it'll be to join on World Turning! I agree that she won't want to steal their thunder and, I think, she'll be very reluctant to perform on her own, so I'd guess Songbird is unlikely. She is happier behind the keyboards next to Mick and John, hiding under that big blonde fringe of hers

I will be there on the final London night. If she's there and she performs (and she may not - she might jump in on nights one or two) I may die.

ps. "Some of the reasons for that, I don’t exactly grasp, but, you know, what are you going to do?" - Again with this line. What is it that went on? My opinion is that there must be something here, as he is repeatedly using this 'I don't get it' line for some of her reasons for getting the hell out of Dodge.

Last edited by Ulpian; 05-14-2013 at 07:30 AM..
Old 05-14-2013, 07:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That was nice, Lindsey, to recognize that Stevie is a great singer.
How do you know he meant her and not himself? When I read that line I really had to do a double take. This was the sentence that stood out for comments as far as I was concerned. Is he saying that Stevie is not a musician and just a great singer? Is he implying that they are all musicians and in addition FM and the fans are lucky because he is a great singer as well as guitar player? I ask this because it is Stevie's voice that often gets critiqued in the live setting. No one ever says that Lindsey had trouble with his vocal chords or sang off key in concert or can't hit the high notes any longer.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Is he saying that Stevie is not a musician and just a great singer?
Yes. Well, minus the word "just", I'm pretty sure that's what he means. He, Mick, and John all identify primarily as musicians, whereas Stevie doesn't and isn't one. He extended "great singer" to include her in his overall statement.

I agree with your comment that Stevie gets the brunt of vocal criticism when both of them clearly don't sing like they used to (though I still enjoy both very much). It's never seemed entirely fair to me.