The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Ledgie

I think Stevie tries to make everyone happy, so she says whatever she thinks will accomplish this, but she ends up confusing a lot of people (and pissing them off 'cause it seems like she can't tell a straight story).

She has stories that she tells everyone, but she's hard to really get to know. This is why she relies on her family and a lot of friends she's known for a long time because history is the only thing she really has in common with people.

I'm not convinced she knows what she wants.

Quote:
I don't mind the SYW version of Smile at You, but I love the angry demo. The way she yells, MY WALLS ARE FLAMIN'!! Ooh, yeah.
I've never heard this. Does someone have it? Please?
Old 03-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: ... in the shadow of this strange, strong love of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC
Sigh. Yes, me too. My possibly unpopular opinion is that I think Stevie is a bit on the self-important side. Love her to death, but I've often felt that way listening to or reading some interviews.

Me, too. On both the bitchy aspect, and the self-important one. Love her to death, too, but I have always had that feeling, as well.

To the people who think that saying Stevie can be a bitch, or is a bitch, is insulting to her - I don't think those of us saying it see that as necessarily a bad thing. Though, I don't want to speak for the others. For me, I like anyone who stands up for herself or himself. And knows what she wants and how to get it. Unfortunately, a woman is often labelled a "bitch" for that. But I'd take bitch over meek and mild. I don't like sugar-coating. If you think something, say it. That doesn't mean "be downright nasty and mean to people," but express yourself, and be yourself. And I think Stevie does that.

but i also think she thinks a leeeeettle too much of herself sometimes

"We're rock stars. We are not nice."
Stevie Nicks, the sage mother goddess fierce gypsy bitch we adore.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker
Well, here's a theory - it's just a theory, I admit, but -

Tom Petty has the biggest crush in the history of humanity on Stevie.
Always has, always will. But she "just considers him a friend."
( Think, "Tom you're a Really Nice Guy but..." )
He's rather embarrassed about it, and maybe a little shy around her, too. It's not that he doesn't think much of her, it's that he thinks the WORLD of her.
And it also gets in the way of them being able to work together Professionally, and he takes The Craft seriously enough, and is mature enough, to know that.
Check out the videos - many of them are OBVIOUSLY about Stevie.
At least he had the maturity to bow out gracefully, as opposed to certain people who have been kinda bitter in some of their post-Stevie songs, and no I'm not talking about Lindsey...
Hi everybody! Long time, no see. But I couldn't miss this topic! Ghosttracker, I usually agree with you but I don't on this one.

1. I think Stevie has had the hugest crush on Tom Petty since she met him and Tom looks at Stevie as the little sister he never had and is enchanted by her half the time and completely annoyed by her the other half. I think he might be the one musician she didn't do.

2. I think Stevie has had lesbian *affairs* but nothing serious. Just flings.

3. I think Stevie's greatest loves are:
Fleetwood
Walsh
Buckingham
Henley
In that order
On edit: There was another great love of Stevie's. She hooked up with him in San Francisco while she was with Lindsey in the early 70s and had to decide between the two. I think he is neck and neck with Lindsey in the *greatest loves* department. I think she still thinks about him.

4. I think Stevie has had more than a few *almost serious* relationships in the last 10 years.
Buckingham wasn't one of them

5. I think Stevie isn't the one packin up, shackin up these days and that Buckingham not only hasn't hooked back up with her in the last 20 years but has hooked up with at least one non-Stevie in the last few.
I think that pisses Stevie off but only because of pride

6. I love Street Angel

7. Stevie still smokes
Both weed and cigs

8. I think Stevie is a snob but doesn't know it

9. I think Stevie is clingy to this day to Mick and needs him by her side at functions and in personal life. I think his wife gets this and has made peace with it. I think they need each other in almost a spiritual way that won't die until one of them do
And probably not even then

10. I think Stevie tours and works all the time because she can't face her personal life or how her life has turned out in other areas. Her work is her distraction and her escape. If she stopped touring, she might melt down

11. I think Stevie wishes she had had kids. The whole *giving it up for the sake of her art* is a ruse. She never hooked up with the right guy at the right time, made ****ty choices and by the time she figured all that out and got clean, it was too late. The *giving it up* thing is to mask the pain that has caused her

I'll think of more later but the last one is:

12. I don't think anything is ever on the surface with Stevie. She sticks with what she knows, which is making great music. Everything else, and even to herself, should be taken with a grain of salt. She hasn't figured herself out so the rest of the world doesn't stand a chance. But she knows she's loved and adored by millions and that's what gets her through the night.

Last edited by lagringader&r; 03-05-2006 at 11:46 PM..
Old 03-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=RhiannonBoy]One of my very favorite songs by Stevie, is off Rock A Little IF I WERE YOU, and I actually really like INSPIRATION.

ME too! I love inspiration.Welcome to the board As far as my unpopular Stevie opinions go.............just off the top of my head,, I can't stand the music to running through the garden. Her voice on that is killer though. I also like silver girl. but would have liked her demo version (like in the destiny rules doc.)better.
Like I said its just off the top of my head, kinda lame compared to everyone elses, I know.

Last edited by Phoenix; 03-05-2006 at 11:43 PM..
Old 03-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagringader&r
Hi everybody! Long time, no see. But I couldn't miss this topic!

1. I think Stevie has had the hugest crush on Tom Petty since she met him and Tom looks at Stevie as the little sister he never had and is enchanted by her half the time and completely annoyed by her the other half. I think he might be the one musician she didn't do.

2. I think Stevie has had lesbian *affairs* but nothing serious. Just flings.

3. I think Stevie's greatest loves are:
Fleetwood
Walsh
Buckingham
Henley
In that order

4. I think Stevie has had more than a few *almost serious* relationships in the last 10 years.
Buckingham wasn't one of them

5. I think Stevie isn't the one packin up, shackin up these days and that Buckingham not only hasn't hooked back up with her in the last 20 years but has hooked up with at least one non-Stevie in the last few.
I think that pisses Stevie off but only because of pride

6. I love Street Angel

7. Stevie still smokes
Both weed and cigs

8. I think Stevie is a snob but doesn't know it

9. I think Stevie is clingy to this day to Mick and needs him by her side at functions and in personal life. I think his wife gets this and has made peace with it. I think they need each other in almost a spiritual way that won't die until one of them do
And probably not even then

10. I think Stevie tours and works all the time because she can't face her personal life or how her life has turned out in other areas. Her work is her distraction and her escape. If she stopped touring, she might melt down

11. I think Stevie wishes she had had kids. The whole *giving it up for the sake of her art* is a ruse. She never hooked up with the right guy at the right time, made ****ty choices and by the time she figured all that out and got clean, it was too late. The *giving it up* thing is to mask the pain that has caused her

I'll think of more later but the last one is:

12. I don't think anything is ever on the surface with Stevie. She sticks with what she knows, which is making great music. Everything else, and even to herself, should be taken with a grain of salt. She hasn't figured herself out so the rest of the world doesn't stand a chance. But she knows she's loved and adored by millions and that's what gets her through the night.
Oh my God! Welcome back!! And what a return! I agree with every single word you've written - except that I DON'T love Street Angel! But I think you are dead on with the other observations.

Old 03-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireSister
F*** YOU DAVID!!!! (see, we're not all warm and fuzzy)
I love that!! ^
Quote:
Oh and I hope if you ever meet Stevie she kicks you really hard in the nuts .
I've met the ol' gal a couple of different times. She essentially just ignored me. One time--this was in '80--she was busy stringing beads on some kids. The kids looked a little antsy.
Quote:
p.s. Does that mean you aren't going to the fan party? Would love to meet you.
I can check my calendar!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-05-2006, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Interesting. I kind of agree. I've often wondered why this woman, who has frequently been in less than tip-top shape (whether it was bad hips or broken foots or sore necks or infected tonsils or inflamed vocal cords or bad colds or illicit pharmaceuticals or just plain depression), has toured just about continually since 1975.

The only years I can think of where she didn't perform anywhere (or performed only once or twice on TV) were: 1984, 1992, 1993 & 1995. That's only FOUR years out of THIRTY-ONE years. That's a shockingly busy performing & touring schedule throughout her life. So I think you're right -- I think that quite possibly indicates an emotional need to be out working & not at home, for some reason. Is her home *really* her "sanctuary"?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-05-2006, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by catinthedark
Oh my God! Welcome back!! And what a return! I agree with every single word you've written - except that I DON'T love Street Angel! But I think you are dead on with the other observations.
Thanks! Wow, it felt good to *Stevie-talk* again. A lot of changes in my life but I needed that tonight!

Btw, I didn't expect too many to agree with me on Street Angel! I'm almost alone in that one.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Interesting. I kind of agree. I've often wondered why this woman, who has frequently been in less than tip-top shape (whether it was bad hips or broken foots or sore necks or infected tonsils or inflamed vocal cords or bad colds or illicit pharmaceuticals or just plain depression), has toured just about continually since 1975.

The only years I can think of where she didn't perform anywhere (or performed only once or twice on TV) were: 1984, 1992, 1993 & 1995. That's only FOUR years out of THIRTY-ONE years. That's a shockingly busy performing & touring schedule throughout her life. So I think you're right -- I think that quite possibly indicates an emotional need to be out working & not at home, for some reason. Is her home *really* her "sanctuary"?
Bingo. I think Stevie is one of the most insecure people on the face of the planet and her aloneness is almost death to her. I would expect her to tour until she drops, although not necessarily record. One more may be her limit there. More time out on the road. Those Vegas dates will come in handy.

Her home? Her sanctuary only in small doses.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks! Wow, it felt good to *Stevie-talk* again. A lot of changes in my life but I needed that tonight!

Btw, I didn't expect too many to agree with me on Street Angel! I'm almost alone in that one.

i think the ones you really nailed are the ones about tom petty, her true loves, the reason she tours as much as she does, and the truth about her feelings about not having kids. i love when other people root around inside my head and manage to pull out exactly what i believe yet don't always think to express here.

Old 03-06-2006, 12:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I've met the ol' gal a couple of different times. She essentially just ignored me. One time--this was in '80--she was busy stringing beads on some kids.
Well she wanted to kick you really hard in the nuts but there were too many kids around

And yes check your calendar!
Old 03-06-2006, 12:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by catinthedark
i think the ones you really nailed are the ones about tom petty, her true loves, the reason she tours as much as she does, and the truth about her feelings about not having kids. i love when other people root around inside my head and manage to pull out exactly what i believe yet don't always think to express here.
I've just had plenty of time to think Stevie but not actually put any of it into words so it's all built up!
Old 03-06-2006, 12:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Threadjack....Welcome back....

Quote:
I've just had plenty of time to think Stevie but not actually put any of it into words so it's all built up!
been wondering what was up with ya!

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 03-06-2006, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
been wondering what was up with ya!
Gawd, do you really want to know? Too much, too much, my friend. How are YOU?
Btw, I love threadjacks.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Doing alright...

Quote:
Gawd, do you really want to know? Too much, too much, my friend. How are YOU?
Btw, I love threadjacks.
just reading everyone's opinions about Stevie (Should get around to adding my opinion, But since opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one and they smell I will wait a bit before I answer)...And listening to Symphony X's "The Odyssey"

Back to everyone's opinions...

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."