Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-26-2002, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up "DOUBLE SET CD" - Whoo HOO!!!

For those of you that didnt get Micks's X-mas e-mail......He has confirmed the new cd will be a double....this is great news.....and we deserve it after waiting so many years for new material....
This is going to be a great year.

from the e-mail:
NEW ALBUM: The new album is complete and will debut in the Spring of
2003 as planned. The album is a double CD set and represents some of
Fleetwood Mac’s finest work ever. Stay tuned to www.MickFleetwood.com
and www.FleetwoodMac.com for upcoming stories and information. Rumor
has it that there will be sneak previews coming in the weeks and months
ahead!

VIRTUAL TOUR OF THE STUDIO: To create this album Fleetwood Mac worked
in a home that was transformed into their custom studio for 17 months.
Just before the studio was dismantled we took Mick there with our video
team and shot a virtual, narrated tour of all the rooms that will soon
become major music history! Look for these tour segments on the
Official sites in the New Year.

bold
Old 12-26-2002, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting that. I think I did get it, but deleted it.
Old 12-26-2002, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nice! I hope we can expect 30-35 tracks on this album. Not like 10 songs on each disc, cause you can fit 20 tracks onto one CD. No title yet though?!
Old 12-26-2002, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

This is interesting news! I'm happy that we now have confirmation that it's actually two discs.
Though... and I think everyone would agree... we should remember that might still change between now and the album release.

I've been told that FM has 23 songs chosen for the release (and i was also told that they might even pair that down to an even 20).... so I guess we'll soon see what the final tally will be.

I won't be disappointed either way, as I'm sure that the remaining tracks will find their way to us somehow.
Whether it's via European CD-singles, or some kind of Best Buy Exclusive.

Johnny Stew
Old 12-26-2002, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

...Or by the same way that Thrown Down got to us.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 12-26-2002, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I got the email aswell (which they sent three times "because of server trouble" )...nice that they confirmed that it will definitely be two CDs...at last we know for sure.

Also nice that they clarified the situation regarding "Fan Club seats"...i.e. "Best 20% in participating venues"...I still don't think that ridiculous price is worth it though....I don't even know if UK venues will participate. I'd rather camp outside Wembley Arena / Earl's Court all night long and wait for the tickets to go on sale than pay that ridiculous $90...

Thanks for that "23 tracks" info. Johnny Stew, I hadn't heard that. So if LB and SN are split 50-50 in terms of track numbers...does that mean we will be treated to at least one "co-written"...???

Last edited by seteca; 12-26-2002 at 08:15 PM..
Old 12-27-2002, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am surprised by this. The band is taking money out of their own pocket by doing this. Double albums cost more to produce and mfg. Then of course they cost more for the consumer to purchase. This means less album sales. Some critics may call a double album self indulgent, but for fans who have waited a long time for material it is a pretty selfless gift from the band. The casual listener won't buy a double album due to cost, thus losing a large part of the buying public. The band must figure most of the money will be made on tour...so we can sacrifice a few dollars on the album side.

One other thought. A lot of talk about singles....but very important to remember the idea of a single has really changed. The chances of a Fleetwood Mac single charting on the Billboard top 40 are slim now. A single is really a track the record company will promote to Adult Top 40 stations, classic rock, and Adult Contemporary stations for airplay consideration. Radio has become much more genre oriented so a top 40 single is doubtful...However, what that does mean is you could hear more songs on the radio in different market segments...A classic rock station may play a different new tune than a AC station, etc.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by John Run
I am surprised by this. The band is taking money out of their own pocket by doing this. Double albums cost more to produce and mfg. Then of course they cost more for the consumer to purchase. This means less album sales. Some critics may call a double album self indulgent, but for fans who have waited a long time for material it is a pretty selfless gift from the band. The casual listener won't buy a double album due to cost, thus losing a large part of the buying public. The band must figure most of the money will be made on tour...so we can sacrifice a few dollars on the album side.

One other thought. A lot of talk about singles....but very important to remember the idea of a single has really changed. The chances of a Fleetwood Mac single charting on the Billboard top 40 are slim now. A single is really a track the record company will promote to Adult Top 40 stations, classic rock, and Adult Contemporary stations for airplay consideration. Radio has become much more genre oriented so a top 40 single is doubtful...However, what that does mean is you could hear more songs on the radio in different market segments...A classic rock station may play a different new tune than a AC station, etc.

Price doesn't matter. You can can double album for 10 bucks if you go to places like Target and Best Buy. Most of the time you won't have to pay more than 16 bucks. I got VBOFM for about 13$ @ Circut City.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Double Set

This is indeed encouraging news - if the band weren't impressed with the calibre of songs in the can, there is no way they would even consider releasing enough material to justify a double set. It is also heartening to think that there may be comparisons to the opus that was Tusk, if not sonically at least in terms of spirit and a desire to experiment and reinvent.

I would have thought there would be more than 23 songs - I was hoping for maybe 15 per cd, but even a single disc of 12 tracks would please me. I truly hope there is at least one joint composition between Stevie and Lindsey - imagine another epic in the vein of Frozen Love? Their harmonies on Thrown Down prove that they still have what it takes to create something that wonderful so the idea is not outside the realms of possibility.

So to recap on earlier messages, what titles are we fairly certain will be included? My recollection is that these songs are pretty much certified inclusions based on press articles and the documentary trailer:

Thrown Down
Peacekeeper
Illume

I'm also hoping beyond all hope that Smile At You has been recorded and am reasonably confident that Down On Rodeo and Come will make the final cut. Has anyone heard or more importantly, read any other confirmed titles?
Old 12-28-2002, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Double Set

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil
...I'm also hoping beyond all hope that Smile At You has been recorded and am reasonably confident that Down On Rodeo and Come will make the final cut. Has anyone heard or more importantly, read any other confirmed titles?...
"Come" and "Say You Will" were "confirmed" by the November issue of Mojo Magazine.

Old 12-28-2002, 01:22 PM
Senior Ledgie

Don't forget that a couple articles have made mention of the 'song that Christine sings on' which has to be Steal Your Heart Away. What others?
-Brian
Old 12-28-2002, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They were considering 'Gift of Screws' as a title, so it can be said that also made it...

~Alex

Old 12-28-2002, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by bjk3047
Don't forget that a couple articles have made mention of the 'song that Christine sings on' which has to be Steal Your Heart Away. What others?
-Brian
I had heard "Bleed to Love Her" at one point was on the album. Maybe they dumped it, however.

I wonder whether they're going to release a documentary on DVD/home video.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by David
I wonder whether they're going to release a documentary on DVD/home video.
I think it had been said on these boards a while back that someone noticed somewhere that the "full" version of the "footage" on the VBO enhanced CD was going to be released on DVD next year. Not sure if that's true or not though.

John
Old 12-29-2002, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

I got the email as well. I'm so excited about the fact that it is a double album for sure, because double the new, Mac material means double the greatness!!!!! I can't wait. I wish it was coming out tomorrow!

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin