User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fashion Meets Music: Stevie Nicks
Posted on 25 January 2010

Stevie Nicks, the fairy godmother of the gypsy romantic look, has inspired two generations of fashionistas to drape themselves in chiffon and velvet, rock platform boots, and add feathers to their accessory kit. She entices her audience with lyrics encouraging them to evoke their uncaged spirit. Layers of fabric add to the mood as she “floats” across the stage. I’m sure many of us have our own version of Stevie or some aspect of her style integrated in our closets.

I’ve gathered some of my favorite images of and a two interpretations of her influence in fashion and music.

The “bohemian traveler” from Vogue Nippon’s Jan 2010 issue editorial is eclectic and offers a modern approach to creating a nostalgic look. The image of Dree with the black jacket on reminds me of Stevie’s use of capes, hats, and accessories. The layering is more colorful than I see Stevie, however they still have a gypsy sensibility. I’m day dreaming as we speak that these items will be in my closet when I wake tomorrow.

Dree Hemingway as a bohemian traveler in Vogue Nippon's January 2010 issue
Ruth La Ferla has a great write up in the NY Times in which Stevie noted:

“I needed a uniform,” she recalled, one that would counteract the stage fright she encountered in the mid-’70s, when she first began touring with Fleetwood Mac. At the time, her brief to Margi Kent, who still designs much of her wardrobe, was to create “something urchinlike out of ‘Great Expectations’ or ‘A Tale of Two Cities,’ ” a chiffonlike, raggedy skirt that would still look beautiful with black velvet platform boots.

Fringe Benefits
This woman has been a relevant figure in my musical upbringing as far back as memory can take me. My mother was planning on naming me Rhiannon until she came across the name Jenessa in a book she was reading during her young pregnancy. A few years ago, we saw Fleetwood Mac perform for our Mother’s Day celebration. Together we sat on the damp grass in a massive field, inhaled the summer’s night sky, and listened to Stevie’s divine voice bless us with some of the best rock songs ever crafted.

Get the look

-Layered peasant skirts
-Victorian boots
-Capes
-Romantic-inspired pieces
-Embroidery and beading
-Smudged smokey eyes

Shop

enchantedmirror.com

gypsymoon.com

Crystal Visions The Very Best of Stevie Nicks

Internet Drifting

Hippie Couture blog

Boho Glamour

Gypsy Stardust

Alexandre Herchcovitch’s Royal Gypsy trend featured at Trend Land

http://www.missomnimedia.com/2010/01...-stevie-nicks/
Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thursday, January 28, 2010
Cloud Formation

Listening to: Crystal Visions - The very best of Stevie Nicks. I picked this up today after realising it met my 'must like at least three or four songs on the album' criteria for buying CD's. Probably should have got a compilation years ago. It has a couple of nice live versions that are about the same as what I heard at the Fleetwood Mac concert last month, and I never realised until now that 'Stand Back' and 'Little Red Corvette' not coincidentally share the same melody (much like Bachman Turner Overdrive's 'You aint seen nothing yet' and The Who's 'Baba O'Reilly, but that is another story.)

http://offblack.blogspot.com/2010/01...formation.html
Old 01-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thursday, January 28, 2010
WE STILL LOVE YOU STEVIE

Stevie Nicks has been called the Queen of Rock and Roll. Back in the 70’s & 80’s I followed Stevie and her band Fleetwood Mac. My friends and I went to every concert they had within a fifty mile radius of my teenage bedroom. Stevie was the ultimate songbird. She was (and probably still is) a fantastic performer who possessed a unique and sultry voice. I appreciated her style, her image, and her mystique, as much as her singing. And I wasn’t alone. She had legions of followers…. We loved, and many still do, Love Stevie Nicks! I admired her even more when I learned that she would not give up believing in her talent, and refused to get a real job, even when her family put pressure on her to do so.

During Stevie’s solo reign my boyfriend’s brother treated me better than my boyfriend did. It was his brother who jumped up on stage when I won a local beauty pageant, and his brother who bought a hundred copies of the newspaper when I was a featured model. But I never thought it would be his brother who would bring me a signed picture from Miss Stevie Nicks herself just because I asked.

One day, after still gushing over a recent Stevie performance, I took all my mother’s exotic scarf’s and her tambourine (yes my mother was quite unique herself) and I danced in my room, carrying on as if I were Stevie Nicks. When the doorbell rang I stepped outside still dressed like Stevie and hung out with my boyfriend, and yes, his bro. My boyfriend’s brother, who was also into Stevie, told me he was going to meet our idol. I asked him to be sure and get me an autographed picture when he did. I believed he would. Here it is! I never got the full story, but I believe it has something to do with befriending her while they were both in rehab. What really matters is… I had envisioned an autographed picture of Stevie on my wall. I asked, I believed, and I received……

http://agelesswithaunty.blogspot.com...ou-stevie.html
Old 01-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Excerpt from an article about Sarah Buxton:

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...1282010/523875

Buxton's career has always been a bit unusual. Raised in Lawrence, Kan., she honed her vocal skills in local choirs and school talent shows. Shortly after graduation, she met Stevie Nicks and giddily told the Fleetwood Mac vocalist about her desire to become a songwriter. Nicks encouraged her to make that dream a reality, and an inspired Buxton moved to Nashville several months later to launch her career.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

5. What did you dream of being when you were a kid? (How ’d that turn out?)

PETE: I told my mom when I was 5 that I wanted to be a Jet Airplane salesman or I could fall back on being a Rockstar….the air industry doesn’t look so enticing anymore so I’m working on the Rockstar thing.

ANDREA: Well, music and performing is the only thing I have ever done since I could talk. So, I would have to say a musician of some kind. then, when I picked up a guitar in middle school and got introduced to classic rock I wanted to be Stevie Nicks Oh, and I also in the back of my mind wanted to be a vet (like a lot of little kids) I loved animals. So, I actually tried this for a semester in college and after castrating a pig I realized it wasn’t for me. So, back to the stage.

http://www.carrborocitizen.com/mill/...ds-and-arrows/
Old 01-30-2010, 01:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default On this date in 1983

1983 - Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac married Kim Anderson at her Los Angeles home. They were divorced the following year.

http://www.lockergnome.com/theoracle...up-television/
Old 01-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

January 30th, 2010 at 9:47 pm
Pat M.
January 30th, 2010 at 9:22 pm
Erica, Ah Ms. Stevie Nicks…..Bella Donna…..I know I’ve mentioned this before, but I was on two occasions within five feet of her….Once in a Sedona bar, and the other time was after a USC – Notre Dame game as we were on line waiting for our car services to pick us up….I looked to my right and there she was….Her eyes pierced right thru me….The Sedonna incident was before a concert she was performing in September 2000….I tried to buy her a drink, but she declined…..She returned the favor and bought me a Gin & Tonic…..

Pat-

That’s an awesome story. I guess after all her rehabbing she doesn’t drink anymore.

Did I tell you I met her last March? She did an album signing in the city and I made up a story at work about “having to leave early for very important personal reasons”. (It was really important and personal!!!!!).

I waited for 4 hours, but I finally got to speak to her and shake her hand. She has remarkably soft hands. I read later on she stayed very late into the night to make sure she met everyone who showed up.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2010/01/3...etting-better/
Old 02-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Party girl: Martine McCutcheon describes herself as a 'fun junkie'

Job: Actress/singer/novelist

Last book read: Wonderful Today by Pattie Boyd

Last film seen: Priceless with Audrey Tautou

Last music heard: Fleetwood Mac at Madison Square Garden

Last dose of live culture: Spring Awakening

Into which person's shoes would you most like to step?

Stevie Nicks. A woman who lived, loved and cried with all her heart. I'd really love to know the whole story about her and Lindsey Buckingham.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...cCutcheon.html
Old 02-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default written by some young kid

Stevie Nicks
February 1, 2010 by Sam

Stevie Nicks is a famous American vocalist and songster. She was born in May nineteen forty eight. She is very famous for her music with, Fleetwood Mac, and also her solos. Stevie Nicks career along with Fleetwood Mac she gained immense success and their music sold millions of copies. She started her solo career in the nineteen 80s, she got addicted to drugs but she overcame all those problems and still proved to be a successful artist.

Stevie Nicks was born in Arizona and her father was a successful business executive, and her mother was a house wife, her grandfather was a singer, and she started twosomes with her grandfather in her very early age. She than got more interest in music when she had her own guitar and she sang her first song. In her school life she grouped into a musical band. In her later educational career she met her future love Lindsey Buckingham. She joined hands with him and started working with him and other fellows as a music band called as Fritz. This band gathered a lot of success due to their on stage performance’s.

Then their old band was finished and both Stevie and Buckingham started making duets, they could not gather much success from their music, so they started working with Fleetwood Mac, they made a big hit. Later on Stevie could not continue her love life with Buckingham and they broke apart. She continued her successful career working with different companies and she gathered a lot of fame and success. Her latest release Crystal Visions, and at this age she is still working hard on music.

http://www.makli.com/stevie-nicks-0022939/
Old 02-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post

Stevie Nicks was born in Arizona and her father was a successful business executive, and her mother was a house wife, her grandfather was a singer, and she started twosomes with her grandfather in her very early age.
I wonder at what age did she start having threesomes?
Old 02-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Assassination of Stevie Nicks

The Assassination of Stevie Nicks
02 February 2010, 06.05 | Posted in Uncategorized |

Last night, by the time I reached my breaking point, GG had already rebuked me several times for ragging on the Grammy Awards telecast. I like and loathe celebrity in equal parts, and nothing makes me happier than heckling Jon Bon Phony while I sit here surfing the net on my new iPad that a designer friend at Apple gave me.

Joking. So anyway, I was busy armchair disrupting the ceremony, when I loudly observed that Ringo Starr’s leather-skinned wife looked like “an ancient burn victim” that had been “discovered in those bogs outside of Pompeii.” With that, GG gave up and wandered off. I have a way of outlasting a person’s expectations of me. You seem surprised.

Many of my opinions of the Grammys come with a grain of salt because I loathe most of today’s popular music. I likewise hate what the music industry has become: a purely numbers-based financial institution bent on stapling fiscal expectations and a timer to musical genius and trying to bind its feet, and force it into narrow little boxes, so the people who are bossing around the people who are stocking it across from boys underpants and Scott’s Turf Builder, don’t have to actually think about who might benefit from more exposure.

If it takes an artist two albums to find his or her voice, they will be cast out, but not before being forced to “pay back” all that stupid money the company spent on the video that went nowhere. And it’s out of that fertile soil that budding gay cricket Justin Bieber has emerged.

I thought that the awards went, more or less, to the right folks, with two glaring exceptions: 1) Diane Birch clearly should’ve been nominated and won the best new artist award; and 2) Lady Gaga deserved a couple of trophies. I mean, come on now.

Two hours in, I assumed that the worst was behind me when I saw Stevie Nicks come trudging onstage in the manner of a person walking to his or her own execution. She was there to duet with Taylor Swift, a really talented young lady whose music nevertheless has the gravitas of Josie & the Pussycats rockin’ at a slumber party in space, with Alexander the cat on the ones and twos.

But Stevie has done about a Taylor-Swift-and-a-half of cocaine in her lifetime. She has undoubtedly punched her share of men and women, been shacked up with a million-or-so ne’er-do-wells and has had more than a few handguns in that purse of hers, I reckon. She’s lived, man, and her songs stick to your ribs. Taylor Swift? Her last two boyfriends—Taylor Lautner and the middle Jonas kid—are prettier than most women I know.

Not to mention, Stevie was part of Fleetwood Mac, and co-wrote some killer, killer songs. The band’s best album, Rumours is on my short list of all-time great releases. At their musical peak, Stevie was right out front, wagging her finger and accusing guitarist/paramour Lindsey Buckingham of douchebaggery in virtually every song, most of which they actually wrote together. Watching a video of old Fleetwood Mac shows is like watching the Salem Witch Trials. With sultry keyboards.

Witnessing a true heavyweight forced to sing backup on a song about short skirts and lip-gloss was something that I will never forget. Why? Because it was so humiliating, it actually rendered me speechless, which could, in some circles, be seen as a good thing.

http://selectism.com/columns/tonyger...f-steve-nicks/
Old 02-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Dianne Williamson
Today's column made me laugh.

I didn't do more than chuckle as she made her way through the obligatory homage to the generation gap and the differences in the music. But when she held up Stevie Nicks as the example of the older generation's music being "better" I just laughed out loud...

In my view, Stevie Nicks has a vocal range of about a half an octave. Don't get me wrong, though... as an old fart, I've grown to like various Fleetwood Mac tunes more and more. But Stevie Nicks was never anything more than a pretty face...

Way back when, in those salad days of mine, when I first saw a film of Fleetwood Mac, all I saw was a hot looking babe fronting a band... the music was merely the scenery behind this highly desired sex object on the screen. Nothing has changed in the music business, and Taylor Swift now occupies that place where performers like Stevie Nicks once stood.

Pairing those two off at the Grammy Awards was, essentially, spot on.

She also posted some lyrics from The Who, and compared them to some lyrics to a Taylor Swift song... But there it is again. Roger Daltry? Once upon a time, Roger could do a fantastic, ear-piercing scream (as in "Won't Get Fooled Again").

But it wasn't the music that made the girls in the audience go wild.

I mean, even Frank Sinatra was a sex object during his heyday.

Heh... even Rudy Vallee!

http://www.wormtowntaxi.com/2010/02/...illiamson.html
Old 02-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Home > Arts & Entertainment
Weekly Dose of A&E: Taylor Swift shouldn't share a stage with rock legends
Jessica FowlerIssue date: 2/3/10 Section: Arts & Entertainment

I understand the music industry wanting to bring together artists from different generations together to perform during a show, but the music industry should only do this when the two artists compliment each other. Sunday night I watched the Grammy Awards and could not wait to see Stevie Nicks perform.

I remember when I was really young, my grandma went to a Fleetwood Mac concert (a group Stevie Nicks was in during the late 70's-for those of you who do not know who Fleetwood Mac is) and brought me back a T-shirt. Since then, I have listened to a lot of Stevie Nicks.

Unfortunately, her performance was with Taylor Swift. It was bad enough having to listen to another song about fairy tales, but to hear Taylor Swift attempt to sing Stevie Nicks' song, "Rhiannon," was a disgrace. Taylor Swift's screechy voice completely butchered the song. Her wild hand movements were pretty ridiculous as well. I was so embarrassed for Stevie Nicks.

After the horrible version of "Rhiannon," Stevie Nicks basically humbled herself and sang Taylor Swift's "You Belong with me." At one point, I'm pretty sure I saw Stevie Nicks hit herself in the face with the tambourine she was playing. She looked so unhappy to be singing the juvenile song with Taylor. She pretty much looked like she was babysitting and singing the song just to keep the children happy.

I was ready for Stevie Nicks to perform by herself. Taylor Swift got way too much of the attention with that performance. I mean, I will admit, when Taylor Swift first came out, I was totally a fan because she was new to the industry. But now, I'm pretty sure she's super annoying. If she is going to continue her singing career, she should sing about something other than fairy tales and prince charming. Let's move on to something else, Taylor. Another tip would be getting better singing lessons. Even when I was a fan, I thought she had an awful voice.

She definitely does not have a voice that complements Stevie Nicks. The performance was very degrading to Stevie Nicks and should have never happened.

http://media.www.cunewspaper.com/med...-3863408.shtml
Old 02-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Saturday, 6 February 2010
Don Henley & Stevie Nicks - Live In Pittsburgh 6-11-2005

Track Listing
01 HOTEL CALIFORNIA
02 NEW YORK MINUTE
03 THE LAST WORTHLESS EVENING
04 OUTSIDE THE RAIN
05 DREAMS
06 RHIANNON
07 ENCHANTED
08 GOLD DUST WOMAN
09 STOP DRAGGIN MY HEART AROUND
10 CIRCLE DANCE
11 STAND BACK
12 BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
13 DRUM SOLO
14 EDGE OF SEVENTEEN

Download http://rapidshare.com/files/344456303/DON.zip

http://boppingelf.blogspot.com/2010/...s-live-in.html
Old 02-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Saturday, February 6, 2010
The Wrath of the Stevie Nicks Fans
Today I quit Twitter for good. I thought about quitting the blog and Facebook too. Well, not Facebook. All my friends are there, and we have friendly and fun conversations just about all of the time. And that's wonderful, because right now, I just seem to need a lot of support. Lots of laughter. Lots of conversation about pop culture, music, daily life, whatever. Human contact is good. My life has been so unpredictable and different than ever before. Sometimes I hardly see or speak to anyone for days.

So, I think it's because of my life changes and upheaval that I have been a lot more sensitive than usual. I know that my Miley-Cyrus-esque Twit-Quit was dramatic; I also know that the "old" me, the "real" me, whichever I might call her ... would not have done it that way. At least, I don't think she would have. I think she would have fought back and laughed it off and just not even worried about it. But I did worry about it... well, I got all sensitive about it and allowed it to make me feel even worse about myself, which I did not believe was very much of a possibility at this point.

ALL THAT I FREAKING SAID on my stupid Twitter account was that I didn't think Stevie Nicks did a good performance on Sunday night's Grammy Awards show. I didn't think it was fair that Taylor Swift was being ripped all over (in another attempt which I believe is all-too-common these days, wherein we as a culture, looove to build these young kids up and up into mega-celebrities and then just rip them to shreds for any mis-step) by critics and bloggers for a performance of a song that wasn't even hers. The performance of "Rhiannon" sounded ... not bad exactly. But it wasn't a wonderful vocal achievement. But I heard a solid - if not extraordinary - voice out of Taylor, while Ms. Nicks was singing in the same voice I used to wake up with after smoking and drinking at the bars in those good old days. I'm just saying. No one has to agree with me, I couldn't care less one way or another. Just wanted to put my two cents in, because, well, that's what you do on Twitter. You talk about ****. Stuff that's on your mind. Your opinion.

That was days ago. Tonight I logged on briefly, mainly to see what my new headache doctor had posted recently (he had a strange flurry of strange Tweets recently, but I suppose that's a whole other post). Well, @doclarry (not his exact real name) hadn't posted anything, but I noticed that I had been written to by strangers. That really NEVER happens to me on Twitter. It's very rare and usually only if I have asked one of them a direct question. I have found that the Twitter-verse is more for hipsters and Hollywood people. No one else really matters or makes waves I guess. But my humble little opinion about Stevie Nicks voice made waves. They told me that I was a "****," a "jealous bitch who looks like a half-dead Liza Minelli" in my Twitter profile picture, and also that I was just envious of Ms. Nicks' stellar career.

Um... I am not jealous of Stevie Nicks. I can already sing like that if I smoke a couple packs a day. I'm not jealous of either of those singers, and in fact, I admire both of them and both of their careers. That's all I'm even going to say about that. Sheesh. I still stand by my opinion of the performance. Even the best of the best can EFF up sometimes. Not sure how that makes ME a c-word.

**On a completely un-related but BRIGHT note, I am already learning all the notes and music for my brand new guitar (I've never played before, but always wanted to!), and my fingers are getting sore and beginning to callous beautifully, he he! I'm a happy rocker!

http://terminallyuniq.blogspot.com/2...icks-fans.html