User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2003 View Post
From what I remember, it was sort of an "underground" Ledge started by people who had either been banned by the original Penguin/Ledge owner/moderator, or left on their own accord when others were banned. Lots of the content was geared toward knocking/bashing the "real" Ledge. The incident I think eventually lead to the Ledge being shut down for a few months as a sort of cooling off period, then re-launching around '99 or '00 in the format we have today.
That was pretty much the way 3 other boards were started. Sort of...
"Seven Wonders" began as a result of a Ledge crash. It was down for a couple days?, and we had so much traffic then, people were freaking out, so it(SW) began as a "free message board". But it rapidly turned into a Stevie worship site. If you dared say ANYTHING bad about her, you were banned from the board.

There were two other "underground" boards like Black Ledge. The first? was Horsemanity(one of the things that caused the 2007 exodus was that the mods[one in particular] were out of control. One night, one person asked a bunch of us to put a pic of the backside of a horse as our sig pic. I think 17 of us did, and 13 got temporarily banned[no explanation why 4 people didn't] The bans were lifted after only a day or so, but people were PISSED, so we left). That group went on for a while, until we figured out that there was a spy in the group. So that group was abandoned, and a new group was started, called Homanity, obviously excluding the spy.

That said, ^, in retrospect, those two groups were MEAN. I mean, I know I can dish it out, but the groups were too mean for me. Hate and snark, 24/7. A few of us left the group after a while, because it was a very negative place to be. I used to have it bookmarked, but can't find it now. Hopefully it died. There was one instigator who was behind both groups, the horse's ass pic we all posted,...all of it! It took YEARS until they finally banned her from The Ledge. Her name starts with a C...
Old 01-19-2018, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't remember all the deets of who hated who, but searching just now, I found a blog from a former Ledge member, who apparently wasn't liked by the "in crowd".

https://irishgrl.wordpress.com/2009/...rowd/#comments
Old 01-19-2018, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
The first? was Horsemanity(one of the things that caused the 2007 exodus was that the mods[one in particular] were out of control.
(insert witchy cackle here) Still here bitches! "I see myself remaining when all of you are gone." That said, I have neither the time nor the energy to go down that particular trolling rabbit hole again. It sure could pass an afternoon though.

Last edited by gldstwmn; 01-19-2018 at 12:56 PM..
Old 01-19-2018, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
(insert witchy cackle here) Still here bitches! "I see myself remaining when all of you are gone." That said, I have neither the time nr energy to go down that particular trolling rabbit hole again. It sure could pass an afternoon though.
You were a mod? Because it wasn't you, to whom I was referring.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
You were a mod? Because it wasn't you, to whom I was referring.
Yuuup.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yuuup.
I was talking about the "supermod", who gave carte blanche to that kid who posted constantly, annoying pretty much the entire board.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I already know I'll regret it, but what't the "Black Ledge"?
Lets see.. I think it was around 1998. Summer-ish? It was before I left Connecticut and that was June 1998, So before that.

Anyhow, the way I remember it was that there were two "Factions" The Stevie Poopin', Pro-PeterGreen crowd, and the Stevie lovers. It was not that the ANti Stevie were all that Anti or the Pro were all that Pro. It was like it is now. One would and could say mean things like Discuss her alleged Abortions and how Street Angel sucked and the other would have none of it. Same story as now. Same musical, different cast.

The Anti-Stevies got to the point they were being nasty to some of the Stevie people. There were Clicks for sure. This was at the same time we were mailing Dubbed cassettes (remember those!?) between members for access to Bootlegs before MP3. Im not sure who started it, but the meanness and nastiness resulted in some Bans and some people getting upset. So one of the the members created another BBS (Ebullition Board System) identical to the Ledge at the time. Their Mascot was a Troll doll, and the name was Black Ledge. (Back in those days each Ledge had its own color scheme)

Someone who was a "spy" in the Black Ledge group gave the secret link to someone on the regular Ledge and posted it on the Main Ledge So everyone could read all the mean things being said. The Black Ledge was less an "alternate" ledge for discussion about Fleetwood Mac and was more a place to dig and poo on people on the Regular Ledge. I took screen shots of some of it before it was suddenly taken down when the Black Ledge owner realized people had found it. The things being said were making fun of people Body, Weight, Face, Spelling, there were "impersonations" with names similar to the Ledge user names and lots of meanness. It was BAD. I was 18 at the time, the Internet was "New" to a lot of us, and this was before CyberBullying was a "Thing" in the news. But it was cyberbullying. What was said really hurt a few people.

Back on the Main Ledge the owner Shut it down a while, I think a couple weeks, and the Black Ledge was taken down, moved or whatever when they realized they had a Spy playing both sides.

It was a different time for me for sure. I was a loner in High School and moved a lot, The Ledge and the Talk to Me Chat Room was a hangout and past time for me. It was really ALL I had for a while. That incident changed me and my outlook on life. I took it WAY too seriously, and learned that the Internet is NOT real life, and that the Anonymous nature of it all is dangerous. People say things they would not say in real life. Same holds true today, and perhaps even more so. Thing is there was NO excuse for what went down and the way the Black Ledge people behaved. ZERO excuse.

Happily, I the person who I think was more "hurt" found happiness and love and got a real life, meeting someone from the Ledge, sharing their common love for Stevie and Fleetwood Mac, and got married. Last I heard they had kids and farm and dont come here much, if at all. The other girl, who I had a crush on, left around 1998-99 and I lost track of completely.

A few years later, around 2002? I think. There was another big Blow up, some of the same people were involved. I think that after that I just stopped posting for many years, unless it was a big year. But I also went to College, found Sports, and friends, and didn't need to use The Internet as a crutch for not having a life.

Anyhow. This place does go in Cycles. It has for 20 years. Keeping it up and running is important though. There is a community here, and the historical aspect of searching for threads and Info help new fans discover things. We didnt have MP3s back then, and now if you want to know about the 2001 "My Heart", for example", you can find it here on the Ledge and learn about it, or "Call on me For Magic". If not for the Ledge we wouldnt know about those songs existence at all.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I miss the old chat room on here. It was packed on a nightly basis in 2001 and 2002.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
I miss the old chat room on here. It was packed on a nightly basis in 2001 and 2002.
That was the second interation of the chat. The original was very archaic by internet standards. It crashed ALL the time. It was slow. And the odd thing about it was you could create any name you wanted when you connected. This meant that people would sometimes spoof names. Someone, I forget her name, would log in as Stevie and someone would log in as Stevie’s old assistant. And they would have conversations as those “characters”. Someone also pretended to be Barbara Nicks (Stevie’s Mom). I totally bought it. I was so dumb. As most 17 year olds are... I mean... kids that age are eating Tide Pods now.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think that part of the reason that the exodus of 2007 happened is that people were getting permanently banned for having one strike even if they had gotten the strike years before then. The strikes were put in place after the Arizona Ranger wars of 2001/2002 then you needed 3 to be permanently banned .When that rule was suddenly changed and people were retroactively banned others also left in sympathy with them.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, I had forgotten about a lot of that history. I didn't start posting here until around 2003-ish, so I missed the "Black Ledge" and the Arizona Ranger saga. I did briefly post on Seven Wonders, but I found the atmosphere childish and not worth my time (people trying to get karma points or some sh*t). As far as the other mass exodus from the Ledge, I was only vaguely aware of what was going on. A bunch of people left, I was busy doing other things, etc. I will never post as much as I did around 2004-2006, but I can't bring myself to leave totally. Old habits and all that.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mass exodus aside, none of them were are detrimental as the MONTH along inability to even access the pages themselves. This has gone on months. The casual browser of the site won’t wait around the minutes it takes just to check out a daily blurb or news story. Ain’t gonna happen. Look at how there are 100+ “guests” on the site NOW. That means people use this site and don’t post. They are likely downloading MP3s or learning about concerts or looking at the pictures fans share. That’s not gonna happen if The Ledge is inaccessible. I too missed the drama in 2007 because I had become a lurker after I “grew up” and stopping giving a Poop about what people say about me. I post my opinions and the. Do t reply to attacks on that opinion. If people don’t like what I think then Who cares. What annoys me is when people automatically HATE everything Stevie does after 1983 because she’s not young and fit and sounds like she did in 1983. That’s just dumb. If you don’t like her why call yourself a fan! LOL.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
(insert witchy cackle here) Still here bitches! "I see myself remaining when all of you are gone." That said, I have neither the time nor the energy to go down that particular trolling rabbit hole again. It sure could pass an afternoon though.
I remember back in 2005 you threatened me with a strike. It was the only time that had ever happened here, and I got so upset! I was sure I was on the road to being banned! LOL! I now realize how I overreacted at the time. Overall, you were a good mod.

I lurked during the time of The Black Ledge. I was scared to join a forum/message board back then. Everyone seemed to know so much more than I did. All the drama made me even more frightened of joining. I only joined the Ledge to ask a question about Stevie's TISL tour... but then I kept posting.

I had a forum for a few years myself at my site. It was mostly for people who liked both Stevie and Lindsey, liked talking about their interactions as as couple, and got excoriated for that on the Ledge. We did branch out, though, talking about their solo careers and the Mac. It was pretty active for a couple years, from about 2002-2004. However, after the SYW tour ended, things died down. I closed it about ten years ago after I stopped updating regularly.

Seven Wonders.... yeah. I remember that.... the whole debacle with hiring Stevie really hurt that site, too, if I recall correctly.

I don't post regularly on here anymore simply because I'm older now and I have less time. Back in 1998, I was still in college, and I had just discovered the Mac. Now, I'm a full-time college professor teaching an overload. Things change. ****Holy crap, typing that made me feel old.****

Last edited by sodascouts; 01-19-2018 at 09:55 PM..
Old 01-19-2018, 11:50 PM

I was still so mad Christine left that I didn't know any of this!
Old 01-20-2018, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I think that part of the reason that the exodus of 2007 happened is that people were getting permanently banned for having one strike even if they had gotten the strike years before then. The strikes were put in place after the Arizona Ranger wars of 2001/2002 then you needed 3 to be permanently banned .When that rule was suddenly changed and people were retroactively banned others also left in sympathy with them.
That Arizona Ranger guy, while I've heard tons of crazy things about him, he used to be on Bob Welch's message board, and seemed relatively sane...there, at least. (unless maybe he was a huge Bob fan, OR possibly somebody else calling themselves AR).