User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-15-2024, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Some of the live stuff from those early tours just rubs me the wrong way. The Fleetwood Mac stuff always came off with a degree of cheese:Angel, Sara, Rhiannon, Gypsy…just brutal at times. The keys always seemed too…feminine? This is a terrible description but it just lacked a lot of oomph. Her “girls” voices always were way too involved. And Waddy just attacks some of the songs like his guitar is a chainsaw.
And it's still going on 40 years later. The way her current drummer plays Gypsy...yikes. Truthfully, I find that guys playing to be so generic and uninspired.
Old 02-15-2024, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Her band was campy with her beautiful solo work. It was frustrating.
And when I say Christine kills Angel, I mean she makes the song GREAT. Without Chris leading that song, I wouldn't like it the way I do!
Old 02-15-2024, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
And it's still going on 40 years later. The way her current drummer plays Gypsy...yikes. Truthfully, I find that guys playing to be so generic and uninspired.
I don't know where she found this guy. He also doesn't seem to be in the best of shape. Scott Crago, Mark Schulman, and Jimmy Paxson are my favorites of her solo drummers. I think Jimmy is my favorite.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
And when I say Christine kills Angel, I mean she makes the song GREAT. Without Chris leading that song, I wouldn't like it the way I do!
I knew what you meant. I'm not the police of all things Christine. But, yeah she quietly had a lot more contributions than even I've given her credit for.

These discoveries are evolution.
Old 02-15-2024, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Christine kills that song. That's what I hate about the Bella Donna Tour solo version. it's driven by Waddy. I still enjoy it but that electric organ that Chris opens the song with is amazing. And of course John kicking in too.
All good insights into the way Christine’s eccentricity of playing rhythm on a keyboard helped provide both space and drive to a track. “Angel” is a perfect example. It’s a three-part rhythm section that drives the whole thing musically: drums, bass, and electronic piano.

Here is the puppy she used in those years to lay down those foundations. It was called a CP-30, made by Yamaha. It was the company’s very first fully electronic keyboard (rather than electro-mechanical), and it worked in stereo, with two channels that you could operate independently of each other to fatten it up.

She switched to it in 1978 in the studio when her Hohner electro-mechanical ran out of sticky stuff. The sticky stuff degraded and you couldn’t replace it because the German company didn’t sell it — you had to buy a whole new rig, and they stopped making it because the stereo electronic age was upon us.

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/downloa...2000/CP30E.PDF

Benjamin Orr also used this on the first Cars album in 1978. They were very heavy — about 125 pounds — and they had a pretty short career because they were the last bastion of analog before digital turned everything into microchips.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-21-2024, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
All good insights into the way Christine’s eccentricity of playing rhythm on a keyboard helped provide both space and drive to a track. “Angel” is a perfect example. It’s a three-part rhythm section that drives the whole thing musically: drums, bass, and electronic piano.

Here is the puppy she used in those years to lay down those foundations. It was called a CP-30, made by Yamaha. It was the company’s very first fully electronic keyboard (rather than electro-mechanical), and it worked in stereo, with two channels that you could operate independently of each other to fatten it up.

She switched to it in 1978 in the studio when her Hohner electro-mechanical ran out of sticky stuff. The sticky stuff degraded and you couldn’t replace it because the German company didn’t sell it — you had to buy a whole new rig, and they stopped making it because the stereo electronic age was upon us.

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/downloa...2000/CP30E.PDF

Benjamin Orr also used this on the first Cars album in 1978. They were very heavy — about 125 pounds — and they had a pretty short career because they were the last bastion of analog before digital turned everything into microchips.
Thanks for this!! I didn't know too much of that. So interesting on her sounds and idiosyncrasies.
Old 02-21-2024, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Thanks for this!! I didn't know too much of that. So interesting on her sounds and idiosyncrasies.
I have always been a gassy storm, JB.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-21-2024, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I have always been a gassy storm, JB.
Hohner farts and fender lies.