The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I think you need to go to a slaughterhouse and see them kill the animals in front of the other animals. When you see the blood and smell the smell of the hundreds slaughtered in a day you will realize there essentially is no difference between that method of killing and hunting them even the hunting of them in the controlled enviroment you mentioned. In all ways, they are being killed either way and hunting them can be more humane compared to say sticking a hog and letting it bleed to death (which takes awhile) , letting cattle stand in water with an electric current, or any of the other various ways . But, based on your obvious issues with guns and your assumption that people hunt solely for the thrill of it - you will never see it that way no matter how true it is because apprarently you think all guns are evil and people could never possibly want the choice not to eat steroid filled meat, make their own leather with natural dyes, etc., and you want to put your head in the sand when it comes to buying steroid filled prettily packaged meat for sale in the store. Interestingly, you do not mind when these slaughterhouse methods are used to make the food you eat, which I can assure you happens if you eat beef or for that matter if you wear leather, etc. - which granted you may not - but many do.

AND - the Christmas tree analogy is false unless you think trees feel pain when cut down and they also are not immune to their horrible farm raised experience

Interestingly, a somewhat valid argument could be made that it actually is a little fairer and more humane to kill them by hunting them - at least that way they have a relatively free and steroid free existence. AND - if people had to hunt what they ate, I can assure you there would be a whole lot less waste - thus less animals killed

In any event - you will never admit that so what is the point?
I, personally, think it would be better if all people hunted for their own meat. Not that that would ever happen, but i just think it is more humane and right. It is better, IMO, to be less removed from the killing and source of your meat, so that you really know what it is you are doing/killing, and why. I didn't express that very well, but hopefully you know what i mean. I think it is more soulfully aware of how the circle of life works to do so. (does that make sense?)

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 02-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I, personally, think it would be better if all people hunted for their own meat. Not that that would ever happen, but i just think it is more humane and right. It is better, IMO, to be less removed from the killing and source of your meat, so that you really know what it is you are doing/killing, and why. I didn't express that very well, but hopefully you know what i mean. I think it is more soulfully aware of how the circle of life works to do so. (does that make sense?)
It makes total sense - I cannot tell you how many people do not realize that the meat they are eating was a live animal and that animal probably was put through a horrible existence (see YUM) before it was slaughtered and put in a pretty package that some marketing fool did a test study to make the public want to but it.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
It makes total sense - I cannot tell you how many people do not realize that the meat they are eating was a live animal and that animal probably was put through a horrible existence (see YUM) before it was slaughtered and put in a pretty package that some marketing fool did a test study to make the public want to but it.
totally. I mean, I think a lot of people have guns who shouldn't have them, and whatever, but the people who use them to hunt for their meat are definitely not in that category. Although, the guy I saw on TV who hunted animals and mounted all of them repulses me. I think someone awhile back said "what is the difference if you kill them to eat or kill them to mount them?" Which I thought was absurd, because if you kill them to eat, it's because you need food, which is totally understandable, but no one needs to kill something so that they can have wall decoration.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 02-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
totally. I mean, I think a lot of people have guns who shouldn't have them, and whatever, but the people who use them to hunt for their meat are definitely not in that category. Although, the guy I saw on TV who hunted animals and mounted all of them repulses me. I think someone awhile back said "what is the difference if you kill them to eat or kill them to mount them?" Which I thought was absurd, because if you kill them to eat, it's because you need food, which is totally understandable, but no one needs to kill something so that they can have wall decoration.
Gun ownership is WAY to easy. I think you ought to have to go to school to get a permit and then you ought to have to go to some facility every six months and present the gun and do another balistics test. And - yes, you should kill only what you eat. Anything else is wasteful and if you are Christian - a sin.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I also was surprised for Joan Allen, but It couldn't be since she can act . Clint Eastwood, I can forgive him because he's probably the best living American director with Altman and Scorsese. I'm a bit bummed to find on the list Kelsey Grammer, Dennis Franz, Dennis Hopper , James Earl Jones, Denzel Washington and John Malkovitch but I think I'll survive.

I wonder if Mel Gibson had done "The Passion " casting asking also the political views of the actors... It would explain a lot of things.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 02-12-2005, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrart
I also was surprised for Joan Allen

Romy
Joan Allen was a mistake, she is liberal.

Old 02-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Joan Allen was a mistake, she is liberal.
I've read, it was reassuring. She played a wonderful Pat Nixon though.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 02-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrart
I've read, it was reassuring. She played a wonderful Pat Nixon though.

Romy
oh, sorry, i thought you didn't know. Very reassuring, I think she is an amazing actress.

Old 02-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Once Again

Quote:
I think you need to go to a slaughterhouse and see them kill the animals in front of the other animals. When you see the blood and smell the smell of the hundreds slaughtered in a day you will realize there essentially is no difference between that method of killing and hunting them even the hunting of them in the controlled enviroment you mentioned. In all ways, they are being killed either way and hunting them can be more humane compared to say sticking a hog and letting it bleed to death (which takes awhile) , letting cattle stand in water with an electric current, or any of the other various ways . But, based on your obvious issues with guns and your assumption that people hunt solely for the thrill of it - you will never see it that way no matter how true it is because apprarently you think all guns are evil and people could never possibly want the choice not to eat steroid filled meat, make their own leather with natural dyes, etc., and you want to put your head in the sand when it comes to buying steroid filled prettily packaged meat for sale in the store. Interestingly, you do not mind when these slaughterhouse methods are used to make the food you eat, which I can assure you happens if you eat beef or for that matter if you wear leather, etc. - which granted you may not - but many do.

AND - the Christmas tree analogy is false unless you think trees feel pain when cut down and they also are not immune to their horrible farm raised experience

Interestingly, a somewhat valid argument could be made that it actually is a little fairer and more humane to kill them by hunting them - at least that way they have a relatively free and steroid free existence. AND - if people had to hunt what they ate, I can assure you there would be a whole lot less waste - thus less animals killed

In any event - you will never admit that so what is the point?

Jason, I DEFY you to find any support for slaughterhouses in my posts. I am not a fan of their methods at ALL! But I am a meat eater and I cant think of any way that is humane and at the same time serves the need for mass meat consumption. You must see, tho, that those animals are raised for just that purpose the same way tree farms provide us with xmas trees. But, you missed the REAL point of my comparisons between tree farms and harvesting trees in the wild and stockyards and hunting a wild animal. both result in the death of the organism, its just the manner in which death comes to them that I was comparing and btw they are EXACTLY analogous. Mass production vs. solitary hunter/gatherer. EXACTLY the same. You deliberately sidestepped my point in order to get on your bully pulpit about slaughterhouses. I would much prefer people get their xmas trees from tree farms as opposed to all cutting a likely looking speciman up the mountain...same thing with meat. FYI, I DO think Trees feel pain when they die. I think ALL living organisms feel pain as they die.

My REAL issue is with guns, and their ONLY PURPOSE IS DEATH. Once you load a bullet in a gun it is a killing machine. Whether the death is accidental or deliberate is not the point, neither is the purpose for which you kill. If you choose to target practice instead of kill, you are merely honing your killing skills for later. Eventually, DEATH is the aim of a loaded gun. THAT is what I take issue with.

on a final note, I take less issue with hunters who eat what they hunt as opposed to a gaggle of good old boys out drinking and joking and firing off their penis substitutes......We dont need to hunt to eat. FACT. our food is already neatly packaged (whether you condone how it got there or not Jason, the fact remains that this meat obviates the need for going out in the wild and killing MORE animals) Possibly a solution would be to eat Kosher meat? they have different guidelines regarding the killing of an animal, and tho I dont know what they are, maybe they are more humane?

Last edited by irishgrl; 02-12-2005 at 09:30 PM..
Old 02-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenStateGirlie
I still maintain it's all about how you were raised and where you were raised as well as what your situation in life is. Like i've always said, people don't vote with other people in mind....they vote for themselves. Tell me...those that went on in their adult lives to become democrats....were your parents primarily democratic in their views as well? Just curious.

I'm a new democrat myself...I was a republican for about 4 months...lol..then I woke up...my whole family are republicans---literally...there's not one left...except on my Dad's side..they are some democrats...but my mom is a huge Republican--although she hasnt been very impressed with Bush--she did vote for him...

Chris
Old 02-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but the list has Kevin Costner as a Democrat---I would say that is false considering his political donations :

KERRY, JOHN F (D)
President
JOHN KERRY FOR PRESIDENT INC $2,000
primary

CLOONEY, NICK (D)
House (KY 04)
CLOONEY FOR CONGRESS
$2,000
primary

GORE, AL (D)
President
GORE/LIEBERMAN GENERAL ELECTION LEGAL AND ACCOUNTING COMPLIANCE FUND $1,000
general

GORE, AL (D)
President
GORE 2000 INC $1,000
primary

GORE, AL (D)
President
GORE 2000 INC $1,000
primary

DASCHLE, THOMAS ANDREW (D)
Senate - SD
A LOT OF PEOPLE SUPPORTING TOM DASCHLE INC $1,000
general

DASCHLE, THOMAS ANDREW (D)
Senate - SD
A LOT OF PEOPLE SUPPORTING TOM DASCHLE INC $1,000
primary

DNC SERVICES CORPORATION/DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL COMMITTEE (D) $5,000
primary 06/14/96

GORDON, BARRY (D)
House (CA 27)
BARRY GORDON FOR CONGRESS $500
primary 12/22/95
Old 02-12-2005, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well you can definetely kill a deer, eat the meat, and then mount it...I see nothing wrong with that personally--plus I love deer meat. Although I do not hunt much, I enjoy it from time to time

Chris
Old 02-12-2005, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdreamsunwindx
No! Not Adam Sandler,
He sucks anyway. Spanglish? WTF was that vomit inducing tearjerker supposed to be about? Someone needs to tell him he's not Fellini.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:53 PM
gldstwmn
This message has been deleted by gldstwmn. Reason: wrong facts-oops
Old 02-12-2005, 08:56 PM
strandinthewind
This message has been deleted by strandinthewind.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
Trust me, I don't live my life for celebrities, they do more to hurt elections than anything else.
Then why start a thread about Republican celebrities?
Old 02-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
Who exactly is we, because middle America, I promise you, will out number left-wingers by a long shot!
The people who live in the least populated states will be outnumbered by those in the most populated states?