Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER Appreciation Thread

"The Night of the Hunter" seems to me deliberately theatrical; even more, I think its meaning is in its theatricality, & in the way it plays variations on theatrical conventions & schools. I've always loved the production design & the extravagant & stagey sets, which appear in isolated instances among the visual realism of the rest of the picture. I think "Hunter" influenced Spike Lee (in movies like "He Got Game" & "Do the Right Thing"). Plus, I think you can draw connections from Dieterle's great "The Devil & Daniel Webster" & Sam Wood's "Our Town" to "Hunter." In terms of look & sound, these movies combine midwestern & southern theater traditions (the "starkness" of the American rural andscape) with American music (particularly hymns & folksongs) & the grating, unnatural comedy of European absurdists like Ionesco (Mitchum's yelps & rangy movements).

This thread is dedicated to Romy.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
"The Night of the Hunter" seems to me deliberately theatrical; even more, I think its meaning is in its theatricality, & in the way it plays variations on theatrical conventions & schools. I've always loved the production design & the extravagant & stagey sets, which appear in isolated instances among the visual realism of the rest of the picture. I think "Hunter" influenced Spike Lee (in movies like "He Got Game" & "Do the Right Thing"). Plus, I think you can draw connections from Dieterle's great "The Devil & Daniel Webster" & Sam Wood's "Our Town" to "Hunter." In terms of look & sound, these movies combine midwestern & southern theater traditions (the "starkness" of the American rural andscape) with American music (particularly hymns & folksongs) & the grating, unnatural comedy of European absurdists like Ionesco (Mitchum's yelps & rangy movements).

This thread is dedicated to Romy.
Thanks David, that's really sweet. I love The Night of the Hunter, I agree about the connections with Dieterle and Ionesco. I'd add also Murnau, the children in the film remember me a lot the point of view of the wife in Sunrise when the husband becomes a menace, but in general some shot seem very close to the atmospheres that Murnau built around the 'victims'. The German expressionists, IMO had definitely a huge influence on Laughton. By the way, it's incredible how the movie keeps being such a treasure of emotions and inspiration. Among the others, Jonathan Demme and Martin Scorsese especially keep stealing from it.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI