The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:07 AM
Ledgie

and this amazing bootleg video from Camden, 2 parts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-IVHfkV6GU
Old 08-19-2017, 08:19 AM
Ledgie

see this live version from 1997, amazing ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JlxZ9fUhwI
Old 08-19-2017, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What a great wrap up. When I heard Silver Springs on a Juke box on a family vacation in 1977 as a kid ......I thought this is a b side to Rumours? I thought how many other gems didn't make this album? 40 years later I have , I'm assuming most of it. Silver Springs has always been in my top 3 Mac tunes from 1977 to today. The Dance version and radio play in 1997 was so amazing. My favorite is still the Rumours version and the outtakes from the original....but I do love the "Live" version from the Dance.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As Stevie once said, "Silver Springs is a great old song."

In the Rookie podcast with Tavi Gevinson and Lorde, Lorde talks a lot about the challenge of making music that sounds like the inside of your brain. Silver Springs is exactly that type of song. Stevie's words at the end are like a curse. It's a beautiful song from the first listen, but as Courtney Love points out, it builds very gradually to the climax. Once you relate to the song, it becomes more devastating. You really understand the inside of Stevie's brain and what this relationship meant to her. The writer of the article did a great job researching the song from many angles!
Old 08-19-2017, 10:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I also heard it for the first time on a jukebox at the local pizza place. There was a radio station in the Bay Area that I listened to in high school that I figured out programmed its songs. So every time they played the Bee Gees' How Deep Is Your Love, I knew that Silver Springs would follow. It also helped me win 5th row center tickets to one of the two Bay Area Dance tour shows. And it's just an amazing song.

Now, not to nitpick, but Gold Dust Woman isn't 7 minutes long, and I don't think any of Stevie's songs on Rumous could be called a ballad. Also, I wouldn't really classify the "Time cast a spell on you" part of the song as a bridge. Would you guys?

Anyway, yaaaaaaay for Silver Springs. I can never hear that song enough.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Only 1 station in Chicago played this song (before the Dance) 93.1 WXRT. It would come on at some random time and I'd freak out.