User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
The Red Rocks version of BATB is particularly emotional to me. It's also my fav version of the song. It's not on YouTube, but you can watch it here. The wails are beautiful, and the "tell her now" at about 6:03 kills me every time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxd9 View Post
AGREED. This is my favourite version of BATB too, although the bit that kills me each time is the note she sings at 5:44. Gorgeous.
You two are cracking me up. I was kind of obsessed with this version for a long time and listened to it quite often when alone in the car. Both the "tell her now" and the 5:44 wail still choke me up. I used to actually anticipate both those moments in the song. Hee- dork.

I do miss seeing that much emotion in Stevie. Drugs or no drugs, it could not be possible to sing the same songs over and over and bring forth such unrestrained expressiveness. Frankly, I can't imagine how she does it after all these years. But back in the day, she meant that **** when she was singing it.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post

I do miss seeing that much emotion in Stevie. Drugs or no drugs, it could not be possible to sing the same songs over and over and bring forth such unrestrained expressiveness. Frankly, I can't imagine how she does it after all these years. But back in the day, she meant that **** when she was singing it.
I think that it's really important for an artist to be able to slice open old wounds and not destroy themselves. I know that as a writer, I'm constantly forcing myself to be a little more honest with myself than I want to be... and that often means that I have to "talk" about something that I don't want to. Every time I read over something I've written, it all happens again. So if Stevie feels the same way that I do about writing, I'm guessing that she used to allow herself to be susceptible to her music, to be in its grasp when she performed, not the other way around.... I think she's lost that.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Reading some of these posts is making me a little sad guys...
I didn't really think of it when I started this thread but the bottom line is that I have never and will never see that emotional side of Stevie that she put forth throughout most of the 80's (not live anyways). Her most memorable moments on stage seem to be from the BD, WH, and RAL periods (with the exception of a few crazy Rhiannons in the late 70's) and it's just a shame that I was too young at that point to be going to concerts (and the ones I did go to were my mom's choice) but also too young to have appreciated the Goddess-like creature that is Stevie Nicks. The Stevie I have seen this decade is a far cry from the past . I'm sure age and repetition has a lot to do with it but do you guys think she's still capable of giving an emotionally charged performance these days or is that just too much to ask for? I'm not complaining about her performances by any means or expecting her to dance across the stage or scream like she's possessed, I'm just wondering what you guys think about the topic of robot Stevie...

So for any of you that did see Stevie live in the 80's please feel free to share some stories so we can live vicariously through you! If only I could go back in time I would have chosen to see Stevie's RAL tour over Michael Jackson's Thriller tour!
Old 09-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Registered

Don't know if it's a good idea, but this thread gave me an idea for another one:
"Stevie's Worst, Not-There Performances" but I don't think I can think of any! She always has been someone you just love to watch on stage, I think.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
Don't know if it's a good idea, but this thread gave me an idea for another one:
"Stevie's Worst, Not-There Performances" but I don't think I can think of any! She always has been someone you just love to watch on stage, I think.
Well that could be interpreted in 2 different ways - "not there" meaning high as a kite on coke and booze or "not there" in terms of being a zombie/robot.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
The Red Rocks version of BATB is particularly emotional to me. It's also my fav version of the song. It's not on YouTube, but you can watch it here. The wails are beautiful, and the "tell her now" at about 6:03 kills me every time.
My dream - a clear, high quality, close-up video of the entire Red Rocks 86' show UNCUT. Does such a thing exisit? If you know, tell her now!
Old 09-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's a link to one of my favorite HAEWAFY...this is my video. I love the nod she gave to Woodstock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOBPu2Yq6M
Old 09-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireSister View Post
Reading some of these posts is making me a little sad guys...
I didn't really think of it when I started this thread but the bottom line is that I have never and will never see that emotional side of Stevie that she put forth throughout most of the 80's (not live anyways). Her most memorable moments on stage seem to be from the BD, WH, and RAL periods (with the exception of a few crazy Rhiannons in the late 70's) and it's just a shame that I was too young at that point to be going to concerts (and the ones I did go to were my mom's choice) but also too young to have appreciated the Goddess-like creature that is Stevie Nicks. The Stevie I have seen this decade is a far cry from the past . I'm sure age and repetition has a lot to do with it but do you guys think she's still capable of giving an emotionally charged performance these days or is that just too much to ask for? I'm not complaining about her performances by any means or expecting her to dance across the stage or scream like she's possessed, I'm just wondering what you guys think about the topic of robot Stevie...

So for any of you that did see Stevie live in the 80's please feel free to share some stories so we can live vicariously through you! If only I could go back in time I would have chosen to see Stevie's RAL tour over Michael Jackson's Thriller tour!
I have seen moments (very brief and only visible to the trained eye-lol) where it seems as though she is somewhat taken over with emotion. I think that Stevie at some point, felt as though she needed and wanted to be taken seriously as a performer and a song writer. She gained control of herself, worked very hard, and had high standards for herself. In all of this (I believe) that she lost much of her spontaneity. I also believe that the way *I* dance and carry myself is much more restrained vs. my younger days. Maybe her changing appearance has made her feel more self conscious about how she looks when she's performing. If you watch the way she danced in the early days (70s and 80s) she was very unrestrained in her movements. As she got older (and a bit larger) her dancing took on a more controlled, almost awkward, vibe.

Do I think that Stevie is capable of a emotional and passionate live performance of Rhiannon? I'm sure she is, but I would imagine there would have to be some behind the scene, out of the norm, circumstance going on.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Anything from US festival. Amazing, but soooooo not there.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Registered

^Wrong! I was there, and she was completely invested and very aware of and almost in love with the audience! Sure, she had a good buzz going on, but her performance was filled with prescence and being in the moment. It's actually one of her best filmed concert performances. That night, was the best 'How Still My Love' she ever did. I have (albeit on old vhs) her entire US Festival performance, and she is 'so there' it's chilling!
Sure, some of her between songs comments are spacey, but they're coherent. On the RAL tour she at times lapsed into incoherence- At the US Festival and for the Wild Heart tour, she may have been flying, but she was still giving great performances and wasn't obliterated.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Reno is the one where she asked Lindsey to take over the song.

For most emotional, I liked the BTM where she says she hopes Lindsey can find it in his heart to make music with her again. Of course, she might not have been that emotional in that one. Maybe it was my most emotional!

Michele
I think it's pretty emotional too...

Landslide - Dec. 7, 1990

And, I don't know if it's "emotional" or just good performing - I love the way she flings her hair during the LIB version of Silver Springs at around 4:34:

Silver Springs

Last edited by CADreaming; 09-26-2010 at 01:58 PM..
Old 09-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My favorite live Dreams performance from 81'. I like to refer to it as the "sweet darlin'" version and I love how's there's a delay before the second verse starts. I know a lot of people wished she'd do away with Dreams these days but not if it sounded like this!
http://www.mediafire.com/?lz24yr0rmd3934u
P.S. Stevie can call me her sweet darlin' any day.

Last edited by SapphireSister; 09-26-2010 at 05:35 PM..
Old 09-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^Wrong! I was there, and she was completely invested and very aware of and almost in love with the audience! Sure, she had a good buzz going on, but her performance was filled with prescence and being in the moment. It's actually one of her best filmed concert performances. That night, was the best 'How Still My Love' she ever did. I have (albeit on old vhs) her entire US Festival performance, and she is 'so there' it's chilling!
Sure, some of her between songs comments are spacey, but they're coherent. On the RAL tour she at times lapsed into incoherence- At the US Festival and for the Wild Heart tour, she may have been flying, but she was still giving great performances and wasn't obliterated.
I love US Festival, but she was higher than a kite. So stoned and so in her own world. But like you said earlier, she's always been someone you love to watch on stage. I think her drugged out performances where she is so "not there" are the best because she lets loose and is in her own world and gives these amazing coke fueled performances. But if you are talking in terms of drugged out train wreck performances where you cringe just watching them, I can't think of any.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Love Is" at the Santa Barbara show. That was definitely emotional, for her and for everyone. It gave me the faith that she still has the capacity to make something really amazing out of her live performances-- if she chooses to embrace that vulnerability and invest the energy.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
I think that it's really important for an artist to be able to slice open old wounds and not destroy themselves. I know that as a writer, I'm constantly forcing myself to be a little more honest with myself than I want to be... and that often means that I have to "talk" about something that I don't want to. Every time I read over something I've written, it all happens again. So if Stevie feels the same way that I do about writing, I'm guessing that she used to allow herself to be susceptible to her music, to be in its grasp when she performed, not the other way around.... I think she's lost that.
I get what you're saying and mostly agree with it.
But how would you be feeling, when you turned
to face Lindsey, and saw him staring back at you, and you
started to almost SCREAM at him - -
"I'll FOLLOW you down 'till the SOUND of my VOICE
will HAUNT you!!!" - -

for the seventeen-thousandth time. ??