Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-29-2005, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default A New Sound For Fleetwood Mac

After looking back at all the great albums from '04 I started thinking what a new Fleetwood Mac studio album could sound like.

I'm curious to hear what people think about the idea of FM using a really innovative producer to make an album that's a complete departure.

I feel like we've heard Lindsey's production in all the ways it can be.
It might be interesting to hear what Nigel Godrich could do or even better yet, what Jim O'Rourke could do with the bands songs. After hearing what he did for Wilco, I'd be really excited to hear a whole new Fleetwood Mac sound.

Any ideas?
Old 01-29-2005, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Doesnt matter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown
After looking back at all the great albums from '04 I started thinking what a new Fleetwood Mac studio album could sound like.

I'm curious to hear what people think about the idea of FM using a really innovative producer to make an album that's a complete departure.

I feel like we've heard Lindsey's production in all the ways it can be.
It might be interesting to hear what Nigel Godrich could do or even better yet, what Jim O'Rourke could do with the bands songs. After hearing what he did for Wilco, I'd be really excited to hear a whole new Fleetwood Mac sound.

Any ideas?
as long as they dont use Bob Rock, Who has totally destroyed Metallica's sound (I will give Bob credit though, The first Blue Murder release still holds up with the 'Mother-of-all-guitar-tones' production to my ears)

Honestly, I really dont like ANY of the 'modern' producers, The sound to me is to 'blah' and buries the instruments over effects/vocal editing which irritates the **** outta me...But with home PC based music systems/programs anyone nowadays thinks they can be a producer.

Personally, Just for the sake of having to new a few producers I would say Rick Rubin as a producer, Would make for an interesting sound...More raw! Or use Michael Wagener who is one of my favorite producers since he always got great guitar/vocals on all of his recordings.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 01-29-2005, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They could always use Tony Visconti.

Or team up with Brian Eno...

Old 01-29-2005, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Visconti...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
They could always use Tony Visconti.

Or team up with Brian Eno...
isnt bad but I dont care for much for Eno (Excluding U2's "Joshua Tree" which he co-produced with Daniel Lanois)

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 01-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What about the idea of just an *executive* producer to oversee things? Maybe someone to reel in the band members' individual (and group) eccentricities, act as a mediator/arbitrator, and provide an outside ear?

Obviously, I wouldn't want this to be an industry type, who's just going for what's commercial. Just someone to say, "Lindsey, you've been working on that 4-bar guitar lick for a week now, time to move on." Or, "Stevie, is there another word besides 'dreams' that we could use here?"

I nominate John. It's high time that he has more of a say in the Mac albums. If he's not willing, I'll happily sign up!
Old 01-29-2005, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixxxed
What about the idea of just an *executive* producer to oversee things? Maybe someone to reel in the band members' individual (and group) eccentricities, act as a mediator/arbitrator, and provide an outside ear?
Lindsey would rather eat dirt!
Interesting idea though.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey is fine for Fleetwood Mac....But STEVIE!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE USE DON WAS FOR YOUR NEXT CD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats all.

Bob
Old 01-29-2005, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know about Fleetwood Mac-wise, but I'd rather not see Stevie work with John Shanks again. I loved TISL when it first came out, but it hasn't held up as well as I'd hoped. Although I do love what he did for the title track. I also don't think she should use Sheryl on her next album -- her recent material has gotten really slick too.

Jack White, maybe? He did some cool stuff for Loretta Lynn. There's always the fan dream that she will team up with Jimmy Iovine again. But I'm not sure if that would be good or bad at this point.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwyll
Lindsey is fine for Fleetwood Mac....But STEVIE!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE USE DON WAS FOR YOUR NEXT CD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats all.

Bob
For Stevie, I'd vote as absolute first choice for Jack White, then Jon Brion or Rollo Armstrong.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 01-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Richard Dashut and Ken Caillat

.....just a thought.....
Old 01-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
isnt bad but I dont care for much for Eno (Excluding U2's "Joshua Tree" which he co-produced with Daniel Lanois)
I'd love to see the Mac go balls to the wall and release something in the vein of Bowie's Berlin trilogy. Could you just imagine?

Old 01-29-2005, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation I think Stevie should hire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I'd love to see the Mac go balls to the wall and release something in the vein of Bowie's Berlin trilogy. Could you just imagine?
me to produce her next studio album, Which would be musically heavier (Not metal to scare the diehard fans off) than TISL was.

I don't know, but for some reason TISL came off as TOO A.C. for me (Still like the album though...).

Stevie or the Mac trying a trilogy? Hahahaha...Cant see it man, Just cant imagine that happenin'.

Last edited by estranged4life; 01-29-2005 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: Die keyboard...Die as ya fly into the f**kin' wall!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2005, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
me to produce her next studio album, Which would be musically heavier (Not metal to scare the diehard fans off) than TISL was.

I don't know, but for some reason TISL came off as TOO A.C. for me (Still like the album though...).

Stevie trying a trilogy? Hahahaha...Cant see it man, Just cant imagine that happenin'.
It screamed of AC (Love Changes?). But it still had some killer tracks.

The chances of the Mac doing a trilogy of weird albums are as great as them doing a concept. Never gonna happen.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwyll

Thats all.

Bob
You Don't mean Don Henley do you. I personally wish Jimmy Iovine would come back to produce her.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 01-29-2005, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it would be interesting to see what would happen if they brought in Ken and Richard, I think it could work out really really well, bringing in some of the old time feeling creative juices, perhaps an older, more tried approach could provide a fresher, newer style, because they might be more comfortable trying to stuff in that creative environment.

Tynan