Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Eagles / Fleetwood Mac Dream Pairing Eyed For Stadiums

Dream pairing eyed for stadiums
LiveDaily (owned by Ticketmaster)

A dream tour of the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac has reached the proposal stage.

The concept of a summer US tour featuring the two Rock and Roll Hall of Fame members and consistent concert draws of the last decade is being presented to stadium and arena operators and promoters. The double bill is being considered for a combination of single nights in baseball and football stadiums and multiple nights in arenas.

The supply of national stadium tours has been slimming over the last several years. U2 was able to fill the 70,000-seat venues in cities across the country this year, but most stadium shows have been one-offs. Madonna and the reunited Police also had recent successes in stadiums.

The Eagles and Fleetwood Mac have shared a stadium bill only once--July 25, 1976 at Schaefer Stadium in Foxboro, MA. The Eagles were the headliners, having released a greatest hits album earlier in the year. Fleetwood Mac was still touring in support of their self-titled disc that was the first to feature Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. Within a year of that show both bands would release the albums that elevated them to superstar status, "Hotel California" and "Rumours."
Old 12-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

WHAT?!?!

I just don't even know what to make out of this notion...
Old 12-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Registered

This idea has been floated numerous times over the past 10 years. Won't/can't happen. Ticket prices would have to be astronomical- to the point where only about a half dozen markets are REMOTELY feasible from a stadium perspective- and each band would only end up making a bit more than they could if they played on their own. Plus, these guys still have massive egos. Too many factors are keeping this even going past the proposal stage.

Last edited by LukeA; 12-11-2009 at 06:39 PM..
Old 12-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I. Am. Freaking. Out.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Has it gotten to the proposal stage before? The LiveDaily article makes it sound like this is a step closer than in the past. Of course, that doesn't mean it'll come off.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder how much the cheap seats are gonna cost?
Old 12-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Eeew. Another reason for them to play the cash in on the oldies game and not focus on doing something NEW!
Old 12-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Eeew. Another reason for them to play the cash in on the oldies game and not focus on doing something NEW!

I have to agree. That probably would be the case.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Registered

As MacMan noted, the site where this blurb was posted is owned by Ticketmaster, who is associated with Live Nation- both of whom are overseen by Irving Azoff, who- surprise!- happens to manage both Eagles & Fleetwood Mac.

This is about as blatant as a "lets throw this idea out to gauge fan reaction, and then react accordingly" planted news "story" as you can possibly get (even moreso than the Sheryl Crow fiasco). You'd have to be deaf, dumb & blind not to see how transparent this is.

Last edited by LukeA; 12-11-2009 at 07:15 PM..
Old 12-11-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
As MacMan noted, the site where this blurb was posted is owned by Ticketmaster, who is associated with Live Nation- both of whom are overseen by Irving Azoff, who- surprise!- happens to manage both Eagles & Fleetwood Mac.

This is about as blatant as a "lets throw this idea out to gauge fan reaction, and then react accordingly" planted news "story" as you can possibly get (even moreso than the Sheryl Crow fiasco). You'd have to be deaf, dumb & blind not to see how transparent this is.
or just dumb..
Old 12-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I could totally see this happening...but like you said with egos involved how could they work out such things as who would open/close? Both bands play long sets on their own, they'd obviously have to cut that back - which if you factor in the time spent on stage for each band might work out to just as much money wise as if they were playing on their own... In a stadium they'd have to come up with a shared type of stage if they are playing one right after the other - it would take hours to reconfigure to each layout if they didn't... There'd be lots of hurdles, but I think if they put their minds to it it could happen... But yeah, the big question would be who could afford the show and who could affort a ticket.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Senior Ledgie

If they came anywhere near Mpls market, I would go. I bet though, the closest they would come would be Chicago. I think I would still go. However.....I'm 89% sure this is never going to happen.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Old 12-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Can you imagine how expensive the tickets would be? I personally think this would absolutely suck. Also, I don't think this is something Lindsey would go for unless there was some sort of new material to promote. He barely agreed to the "Unleashed Tour" and that was because he put out 20+ tracks of new material. I can't see him buying into this.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
I don't think this is something Lindsey would go for unless there was some sort of new material to promote. He barely agreed to the "Unleashed Tour" and that was because he put out 20+ tracks of new material. I can't see him buying into this.
I think he'd heartily disagree to it morally... but FM is his cash cow these days. I think him having his own family to support and remind him of their (and not just HIS) needs has changed LB. His continued involvement in Fleetwood Mac at this point is solely to support his solo career and padded lifestyle, I guarantee you.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
The Eagles and Fleetwood Mac have shared a stadium bill only once--July 25, 1976 at Schaefer Stadium in Foxboro, MA.
Um, is this true? I thought they did a bunch of outdoor stadium shows together that summer in '76.

moviekinks.blogspot.com