Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Northumberland Today 10/5/2016

[from an article promoting a food festival]

http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/2...your-community

And organizers have been lucky enough to secure entertainment by Robert Keyes — of whom Sir John McVie of Fleetwood Mac once said, ““Finger-style guitarist Robert Keyes weaves musical tapestries. He lets his hands do the talking.”

Having looked up this quote, I keep seeing 'Sir' John McVie all over the place. When did John get knighted? (he didnt).
Anyway Robert Keyes' biog implies he has played with JM and Fleetwood Mac;
Keyes has performed with the likes of Lyle Lovett, sir john Mcvie and the iconic Fleetwood Mac.
http://outlawsbarandgrill.com/k/bio/

I dont recall Fleetwood Mac ever calling on the services of Robert Keyes (unless he joined the Time band on tstage at some point)
Old 10-08-2016, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Having looked up this quote, I keep seeing 'Sir' John McVie all over the place. When did John get knighted? (he didnt).
Anyway Robert Keyes' biog implies he has played with JM and Fleetwood Mac;
Keyes has performed with the likes of Lyle Lovett, sir john Mcvie and the iconic Fleetwood Mac.
http://outlawsbarandgrill.com/k/bio/

I dont recall Fleetwood Mac ever calling on the services of Robert Keyes (unless he joined the Time band on tstage at some point)
Here's an old related post that mentions JM walking into a venue where Keyes was playing, but I don't recall anything about Keyes playing with the full FM.

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...t=Robert+keyes

Termed a Virginia fingerstyle guitarist, Keyes has been developing his solo guitar style for years with original mini-orchestrations that feature lush harmonies and independent polyrhythmic counterlines.

“It almost sounds like two people playing,” Sir John McVie (of Fleetwood Mac) remarked, after a trip to Virginia during which he happened to enter a venue were Keyes was playing.

This not only provided Keyes with the wonderful opportunity to play with the former bass player and cofounder of an iconic British band, but also was a great confidence booster.

Keyes has also had the opportunity to play with Lyle Lovett. Among the many wonderful Canadian performers that he has played with are Holly Cole and Hagood Hardy."
Old 10-08-2016, 09:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferuk View Post
Here's an old related post that mentions JM walking into a venue where Keyes was playing, but I don't recall anything about Keyes playing with the full FM.

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...t=Robert+keyes

Termed a Virginia fingerstyle guitarist, Keyes has been developing his solo guitar style for years with original mini-orchestrations that feature lush harmonies and independent polyrhythmic counterlines.

“It almost sounds like two people playing,” Sir John McVie (of Fleetwood Mac) remarked, after a trip to Virginia during which he happened to enter a venue were Keyes was playing.

This not only provided Keyes with the wonderful opportunity to play with the former bass player and cofounder of an iconic British band, but also was a great confidence booster.

Keyes has also had the opportunity to play with Lyle Lovett. Among the many wonderful Canadian performers that he has played with are Holly Cole and Hagood Hardy."

If nothing else, it does make me wonder why neither Mick nor John or even Chris have received any formal honours- MBE, OBE, CBE etc. There aren't many notable British people in the enternainment industry that have never been honoured. I guess M&J would have needed to receive something before they moved to America. Also, I guess they aren't really notable charity workers (to the best of my knowledge), though I think Mick does some local Maui charity work from time to time.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If nothing else, it does make me wonder why neither Mick nor John or even Chris have received any formal honours- MBE, OBE, CBE etc. There aren't many notable British people in the enternainment industry that have never been honoured. I guess M&J would have needed to receive something before they moved to America. Also, I guess they aren't really notable charity workers (to the best of my knowledge), though I think Mick does some local Maui charity work from time to time.
Agreed. I've always been surprised that MF didn't strive for an honour, as that seems to me something he would want /appreciate (both for himself & for FM legacy).
Old 10-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, I just thought using the title was a way to show respect to John, without the Queen's permission.

Michele
Old 10-20-2016, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Last edited by BlueDenimLamp; 10-20-2016 at 01:51 PM..
Old 10-23-2016, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Missed Connections post from police officer]

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2016/10/...5371477078558/[/CENTER]

UPI

"Missed Connections.
You didn't notice the light had turned green. You also did not notice that I had serendipitously been forced to stop directly beside you. I was going the opposite direction.

I was the guy in the black and white car. We were three feet apart. I was listening to Fleetwood Mac. My door sticker read, POLICE. You did not notice.

The cars in front of you had pulled away from the light and there you were, alone, vulnerable, head down. Were you sad? Nope, you were texting.

The folks behind you were patient, friendly, possibly missing out on the lunch special at Panda Garden. All because you did not look up.

I am sure the message was important. I cannot question your motive for being 25 feet back from the green traffic signal. Stopped. Focused. Self absorbed.

I don't like the song "Tusk" so I was not singing along. Who could sing along with that song? So, since I was unable to move forward from my light, I continued watching you. I felt creepy, but I was stuck there as well.

You provided the much needed entertainment that Stevie Nicks could not bring me. If it had been Supertramp, I would have been singing and might have never noticed you.

I looked down at the black siren control in my cruiser. The air horn button beckoned me. Inviting me to startle you to get you to move along. I couldn't do it. I wanted our eyes to meet organically. With no loud noise to interrupt our Chi.

When our eyes met, you were embarrassed. You knew exactly what I was thinking. You read my mind.

Yes, it is illegal to text while in traffic, even at a light. You blushed. I smiled. I mouthed the words, S-T-O-P I-T. You understood. You pulled forward and were able to get through the green light just in time for the two cars behind you to get to the red light.

We always hope for voluntary compliance. Texting while in a motor vehicle AND on the roadway is illegal. Even at a traffic light.

I hope you remember our time together.

Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

We will be here.

TC"
Old 10-27-2016, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

You guys wont believe this one.
I was eating lunch at Sonny's BBQ in Homestead, Florida today and Station Man came on.
I thought I was going crazy. So freaking cool. I have never heard this song even on the radio let alone a business.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Soundbreaking: Painting with sound
Sky Arts

I've just watched this programme on Sky Arts (first shown, July 2016). I'd recommend it to Brits & anyone else that can pick it up. It is a series about sound/music recording made by George Martin shortly before he passed away. This episode (Painting with sound) was the second episode of 8 and features Fleetwood Mac along with the likes of Beck and Radiohead. The Fleetwood Mac bit was relatively short and featured Tusk footage of Lindsey recording in his bathroom interspersed with recent recollections by Lindsey on the recording of Tusk.

imdb:
The second episode in our series chronicles a watershed event in the history of music: the moment when the recording studio itself effectively became an instrument and gave rise to sounds that could never be reproduced live. Beginning with the advent of magnetic tape and multi-tracking technology, and charting its evolution from the four or eight tracks used by The Beatles and The Beach Boys, to the sixteen- and twenty-four track productions created by Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac, to the digital innovations that today fuel the work of artists such as Beck, Bon Iver, and Radiohead, Painting with Sound traces the birth and development of a new art form--one wholly distinct from what throughout all prior human history had been meant and understood by the word "music."

Aside from the Fleetwood Mac contribution this was a really interesting programme. I'll have to catch up with episode 1 and the rest of the series.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:49 AM

Taylor Swift is highest paid female in music

Taylor Swift has been named the Highest Paid Woman in Music with earnings of a staggering $170 million.

The 'Shake It Off' hitmaker's haul over the last year largely came from her '1989' world tour, which smashed the North American touring record of the Rolling Stones to pull in $250 million, and her fortune was boosted with appearances in commercials for the likes of Apple, Diet Coke and Keds.

Entertainment attorney Lori Landew told Forbes magazine: "She has been building her fan base for years, and that fan base crosses multiple market segments.

"It's this ability to appeal to younger and older audiences, and those in between, that makes Taylor such a sure bet with both concert promoters and brands who want to affiliate with her and with the community she has cultivated."

The 26-year-old singer's fortune was more than double that of second-placed Adele, whose ranking on Forbes' annual list came with earnings of $80.5 million thanks to astonishing sales of her third album '25'.

Pop veteran Madonna took third place on the list with $76.5 million. Like Taylor, much of her revenue came from performing live, with her 'Rebel Heart' world tour grossing $170 million.

Rihanna was narrowly behind in fourth place with $75 million, and Beyonce's $54 million saw her take fifth position.

Katy Perry - who took the top slot last year - was placed sixth with $41 million, just ahead of Jennifer Lopez with $39.5 million.

Britney Spears, Shania Twain and Celine Dion rounded out the top 10.

Lady Gaga, Mariah Carey, Miranda Lambert and Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie all made the top 10 in 2015 but dropped out this year.

Forbes' top 10 Highest-Paid Women in Music of 2016:

1. Taylor Swift ($170 million)

2. Adele ($80.5 million)

3. Madonna ($76.5 million)

4. Rihanna ($75 million)

5. Beyoncé ($54 million)

6. Katy Perry ($41 million)

7. Jennifer Lopez ($39.5 million)

8. Britney Spears ($30.5 million)

9. Shania Twain ($27.5 million)

10. Celine Dion ($27 million)

http://www.orangeville.com/whatson-s...male-in-music/
Old 11-08-2016, 04:46 PM

ESSENTIAL ALBUMS: Lisa LeBlanc shows off her many musical languages

In Essential Albums, our favourite artists dig up a handful of records that they consider “essential” by any definition they choose. This week, folk rocker Lisa LeBlanc explores and explains her incredible fluency in what seem like far-flung musical languages.

Fleetwood Mac, Rumours (1977)

The story behind it and everything around that record is so crazy. I was obsessed with Stevie Nicks when I was a teenager. I wanted to be Stevie Nicks. I was such a huge fan, I went a little crazy. And I knew all the songs. She’s just such a weirdo and it’s great. (laughs) That whole mystical Stevie thing. And I love how she is onstage and she’s just this amazing songwriter.

The three of them together have just made so many great things. Lindsey Buckingham, the guitarist, was a huge influence for me for picking and my work on guitar and also on banjo. It comes a lot from Fleetwood Mac and from all the crazy fingerpicking he does. He was pretty much my idol when I was a teen.

Chart Attack: So you were learning banjo from Fleetwood Mac more than, like, bluegrass?

Actually, growing up I didn’t listen to bluegrass because that’s all that people listen to back home. There’s a pretty awesome bluegrass festival down in Rosaireville where I’m from. There’s a huge country/bluegrass scene out in the country, and people love bluegrass. And I hated bluegrass. I was listening to Metallica and classic rock and thinking I was way cooler than everybody.

It’s just like in the recent years that I really started getting into it again. And obviously when you get yourself a banjo you’re going to get there at one point. But yeah, now I’m a huge bluegrass fan. I love also listening to old-time music.

http://www.chartattack.com/features/...-lisa-leblanc/
Old 11-08-2016, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.chartattack.com/features/...-lisa-leblanc/

Chart Attack, Essential Albums [article on Lisa LeBlanc]

RICHARD TRAPUNSKI - NOV 8, 2016

The story behind it and everything around that record is so crazy. I was obsessed with Stevie Nicks when I was a teenager. I wanted to be Stevie Nicks. I was such a huge fan, I went a little crazy. And I knew all the songs. She’s just such a weirdo and it’s great. (laughs) That whole mystical Stevie thing. And I love how she is onstage and she’s just this amazing songwriter.

The three of them together have just made so many great things. Lindsey Buckingham, the guitarist, was a huge influence for me for picking and my work on guitar and also on banjo. It comes a lot from Fleetwood Mac and from all the crazy fingerpicking he does. He was pretty much my idol when I was a teen.

Chart Attack: So you were learning banjo from Fleetwood Mac more than, like, bluegrass?

Actually, growing up I didn’t listen to bluegrass because that’s all that people listen to back home. There’s a pretty awesome bluegrass festival down in Rosaireville where I’m from. There’s a huge country/bluegrass scene out in the country, and people love bluegrass. And I hated bluegrass. I was listening to Metallica and classic rock and thinking I was way cooler than everybody.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[From an article about a restaurant named after the Tusk album]

The Portland Mercury 11/9/ 2016

http://www.portlandmercury.com/Last-...d-to-love-tusk

How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love Tusk
Super-Anticipated “Middle Eastern” Launch Comes Proper, Especially at Brunch

by Andrea Damewood

Tusk is the restaurant embodiment of several women I follow on Instagram (they mostly live in New York) who bring me simultaneous feelings of aspiration and stomach-twisting jealousy.

Tusk—named after a goddamn awesome, but kinda obscure Fleetwood Mac album—is the girl whose house is always immaculate and original, with details that never feel forced. Of course Tusk has the pink-edged variegated rubber plant I’ve coveted for months. The walls and tables are white, with pops of teal and pink accessories. Over the bar hangs a massive black-and-white print of a Speedo-wearing Keith Richards lazily floating in a pool. Tusk is that girl who loves dessert, but still looks banging in a crop top. I don’t know if I want to be her friend or punch her.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:33 PM

Old 11-20-2016, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A Journal of Musical Things, by Alan Cross

http://ajournalofmusicalthings.com/o...-costs-150000/

GOOP Christmas Gift Ideas

One of the Most Insane Musical Gift Ideas for 2016 Costs $150,000

Leave it to Gwyneth Paltrow’s Goop to uncover this insane gift idea with its annual Christmas shopping guide. Admittedly it’s under the heading of “The Ridiculous, But Awesome” section–but still…

So what is it? A collection of 110 vinyl records once owned by the late Dennis Hopper. There’s nothing terribly unique about what’s included–records by Dylan, Van Morrison, The Beatles and Fleetwood Mac–except that all of them were owned by Hopper. Here’s the official description:

With a career spanning almost six decades as an actor, filmmaker, photographer, artist ,art collector and Hollywood enfant terrible, Dennis Hopper collected over 100 record titles during his lifetime. Including iconic artists and bands such as The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Fleetwood Mac, Leonard Cohen and Miles Davis, this collection provides an incredible view into the world of one of America’s most culture-defining men. Along with handwritten notes to the actor from various artists and several unreleased records, this is a very personal biography of Dennis Hopper’s musical journey, directly from the archive of Dennis’ daughter, Marin Hopper.

The price? A mere $150,000.

Okay, so a chunk of the purchase price goes to charity–the percentage is not mentioned–but $150K is a crazy amount of money to spend on a small, very standard record collection.

If you’re interested in making a purchase, go here. Godspeed, you rich prick.