The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Pick 2 albums that represent Christine at her very best!!
Future Games / Bare Trees / Penguin 3 4.62%
Mystery to Me 16 24.62%
Heroes Are Hard to Find 2 3.08%
'75 Fleetwood Mac 10 15.38%
Rumours 31 47.69%
Tusk 21 32.31%
Mirage 5 7.69%
Tango in the Night 38 58.46%
Behind the Mask 4 6.15%
Time 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think American and British usage is the same on this one. But yes, of course, you're right that interpretation depends on language style and usage for each listener or reader.

To me, when you place second or third TO anything that thing is in the number one position, whether it's a sports contest or beauty pageant. Anything that comes in "to it" is a runner up.

Otherwise, she would have said, "Rumours comes in at distinct third place," if she meant that Mystery to Me was #1.

Michele
I agree. I don't see anything ambiguous about it. Seems pretty clear MTM is 3rd place.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
I agree. I don't see anything ambiguous about it. Seems pretty clear MTM is 3rd place.
As I say, it's perhaps a turn of phrase in my part of Britain that threw up the ambiguity for me.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:41 PM

As of now, TITN leads. wow..
Old 06-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not to say TITN shouldn't be leading (votes are votes) but in fairness, the Rumours-era albums have way more exposure, some of the earlier album (MTM? Heroes?) couldn't even be properly supported because of the fake Fleetwood Mac fiasco.

TITN had, like, 6-7 singles released from it, which is incredible and a testament to its appeal no doubt. But there are also more factors there I think, and maybe things would look different if the catalog had more even exposure. I know my opinion would have been different a few years ago, before I had given myself time to get to know the early 70's albums.

(Not that everyone would love them, but some people might!)
Old 06-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For each Mac album after Rumours one of the songwriters was weak:

- on Tusk it was Christine
- on Mirage it was Lindsey
- on Tango it was Stevie
Old 06-19-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird View Post
Not to say TITN shouldn't be leading (votes are votes) but in fairness, the Rumours-era albums have way more exposure, some of the earlier album (MTM? Heroes?) couldn't even be properly supported because of the fake Fleetwood Mac fiasco.

TITN had, like, 6-7 singles released from it, which is incredible and a testament to its appeal no doubt. But there are also more factors there I think, and maybe things would look different if the catalog had more even exposure. I know my opinion would have been different a few years ago, before I had given myself time to get to know the early 70's albums.

(Not that everyone would love them, but some people might!)
What were the 6-7 singles? I remember

Big Love
Seven Wonders
Little Lies
Everywhere

were there other 45's?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I'm pretty sure "Family Man" was released, its B side was "Down Endless Street". If we trust Almighty Wikipedia "Family Man" charted between 50-100 in both the US and UK. "Isn't It Midnight" hit #60 in the UK (B-side "Mystified") but failed to chart on the top 200/wasn't released in the US (it was top 20 on the US rock chart though). Both were released in parts of Europe too, I think. I'm not sure if "Tango in the Night" was officially released in the US but if it was it failed to chart on the top 200 and probably wasn't released at all in the UK or Europe. It did hit top 30 on the US rock chart though.

Since TITN seems very popular in Europe/UK I just accounted for it all together.

Last edited by redbird; 06-19-2013 at 09:16 PM..
Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Well I'm pretty sure "Family Man" was released, its B side was "Down Endless Street". If we trust Almighty Wikipedia "Family Man" charted between 50-100 in both the US and UK. "Isn't It Midnight" hit #60 in the UK (B-side "Mystified") but failed to chart on the top 200/wasn't released in the US (it was top 20 on the US rock chart though). Both were released in parts of Europe too, I think. I'm not sure if "Tango in the Night" was officially released in the US but if it was it failed to chart on the top 200 and probably wasn't released at all in the UK or Europe. It did hit top 30 on the US rock chart though.

Since TITN seems very popular in Europe/UK I just accounted for it all together.
I wonder how Isn't It Midnight might have done if it was released first.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I love that Family Man charted in the UK, but then so did 'Oh Diane' (indeed higher up the charts) and yet the former was included in UK 1-disc version of The Very Best Of, but not the latter.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default For what its worth...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tango_in_the_night

Quote:
"A total of six singles were eventually taken from the album over a period of 15 months. The album has spent 115 weeks in the Top 75 of the UK Album Chart."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isn%27t_It_Midnight

It hit #23 in Ireland.

Last edited by MacShadowsBall; 06-21-2013 at 09:29 PM..
Old 06-24-2013, 12:57 PM

It's all coming back to me now.. (the additional singles.. ) because I bought them for the B sides.