The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Pick 2 albums that represent Christine at her very best!!
Future Games / Bare Trees / Penguin 3 4.62%
Mystery to Me 16 24.62%
Heroes Are Hard to Find 2 3.08%
'75 Fleetwood Mac 10 15.38%
Rumours 31 47.69%
Tusk 21 32.31%
Mirage 5 7.69%
Tango in the Night 38 58.46%
Behind the Mask 4 6.15%
Time 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Nice shout out to her Behind the Mask songs. Save Me is just a good as her Tango songs.
Agreed. All of her BTM songs are great, with the exception of "Do You Know".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Can you imagine LB on the guitar solo of Save Me... uhhhh
Now THAT'S what they should have dusted off for the Dance tour instead of "Everywhere"!

You'd think putting his stamp on a song they recorded after his departure would be right up Lindsey's alley (and by alley I mean ego ).
Old 06-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post

Now THAT'S what they should have dusted off for the Dance tour instead of "Everywhere"!

You'd think putting his stamp on a song they recorded after his departure would be right up Lindsey's alley (and by alley I mean ego ).
I think as far as early 90s love songs go, Do You Know is quite lovely. It's one of the few songs on that album I can stand!
Old 06-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
I think as far as early 90s love songs go, Do You Know is quite lovely. It's one of the few songs on that album I can stand!
I suppose it's not horrible, but it does put me to sleep without fail every time I hear it...
Old 06-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Penguin...now here's where she starts to take off..."Remember Me", "Dissatisfied", "Did You Ever Love Me?"...GREAT songs.

Heroes Are Hard To Find...a little dip in quality, but still pretty good...the title cut is catchy, why it didn't do better in the charts is a head-scratcher. "Come A Little Bit Closer" & "Prove Your Love" were standard CMcVie fare..."Bad Loser" is off the hook! One of my favorite Christine songs of all-time.

Penguin & Mystery To Me:
1973 was a VERY GOOD YEAR for Christine McVie!
I'm so glad someone else is as rabid about Christine's songs from the Penguin & Heroes albums as I am. Christine's songs off those two albums are just flawless . I've always hated Christine has dismissed those pre '75 Mac songs, because they're every bit as good as anything she's ever done. And the lady never releases anything short of perfection.

As far as my two favorite Christine albums, I've been chewing on that all week. I'm leaning towards Tusk as my favorite. As utterly perfect as her Penguin songs are, there's only 3 of them... so I guess my #2 will have to default to Tango, simply because there's more goodness to behold.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Mirage and Tango.

I'm one of the 4 people who actually like "Only Over You" and "Wish You Were Here"...
Six, unless you included me already...
Old 06-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I'm so glad someone else is as rabid about Christine's songs from the Penguin & Heroes albums as I am. Christine's songs off those two albums are just flawless . I've always hated Christine has dismissed those pre '75 Mac songs, because they're every bit as good as anything she's ever done. And the lady never releases anything short of perfection.

As far as my two favorite Christine albums, I've been chewing on that all week. I'm leaning towards Tusk as my favorite. As utterly perfect as her Penguin songs are, there's only 3 of them... so I guess my #2 will have to default to Tango, simply because there's more goodness to behold.
Cool!

As I was frantically searching in vain for a different Fleetwood Mac song of hers, I found an mp3 of a VERY, VERY, VERY early version of "Morning Rain" from a BBC broadcast. It was SO new at the time, that they hadn't even titled it yet and the BBC announcer said that they had to come up with a name for it for the broadcast, so they told him it was titled "Start Again". The lyrics are similar but different from the Future Games track, but musically (instrumentally) it was almost identical.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Well, you DO know that Lindsey DOES appear on one track each on both BTM and Time, right??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
The only song from the BTM album (including the outtakes) that I can't stand is "The Second Time" (yes, that even includes "Lizard People"! Which is where I think Mick came up with the intro to "In The Back Of My Mind")

I think if they'd had Richard Dashut engineer/produce BTM instead of Greg Ladanyi (RIP, Greg), it would've sounded a whole lot cleaner & would've probably not gotten as much flak.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Cool!

As I was frantically searching in vain for a different Fleetwood Mac song of hers, I found an mp3 of a VERY, VERY, VERY early version of "Morning Rain" from a BBC broadcast. It was SO new at the time, that they hadn't even titled it yet and the BBC announcer said that they had to come up with a name for it for the broadcast, so they told him it was titled "Start Again". The lyrics are similar but different from the Future Games track, but musically (instrumentally) it was almost identical.
I think I've heard this!!!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mirage and Tango.

I'm one of the 4 people who actually like "Only Over You" and "Wish You Were Here"...
I adore them. Closed both sides beautifully and made Mirage into a type of lullabye really.

Michele
Old 06-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I also love all four of Christine's Mirage songs, I just don't think there her best songs.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I think I've heard this!!!
Yeah, it was floating around in the pre-rumours forum a while back. Her vocal on it is WAY better than the album version. I think the band chose the final version because of Kirwan's blistering guitar work, as well as Christine's switch from electric to acoustic piano. But they dropped a key and her voice sounds too low on it.

That first versions sounds poppier, more radio friendly, like a Traffic single from the late sixties...
Old 06-15-2013, 01:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here is one of the threads for Morning Rain/Start Again:
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...ing+rain+start
Old 06-15-2013, 04:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
How could anyone not love and celebrate Brown Eyes, Never Make Me Cry, Honey Hi, and Never Forget Tonight?!
I guess it is just a matter of taste. I personally love those songs and was drawn to Tusk initially because of Lindsey and Christine's songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
Me too! Brown Eyes, Honey Hi, Over and Over, Think About Me, Never Forget Tonight...I love them all.
. Brown Eyes is especially a favorite of mine.

Quote:
Mirage and Tango.

Count me in there, I love "Only Over You" and never understood the hate for it.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I found this poll much harder to vote on. Christine was good on so many Mac albums IMO. The only album where I wasn't a huge fan of her songs overall was Mirage.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Christine's songs off those two albums are just flawless
Penguin and Heroes often get lost in the shuffle. Christine's pre-75 work is just so good that it deserves a lot more attention than it gets. A song as catchy as Did you Ever Love Me ought to have been covered many times over by contemporary artists, it's that good. It's also an utter shame that Bad Loser or Prove Your Love aren't on classic rock frequent rotation.