Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default I Don't Want to Know/All I Have to Do Is Dream

Everyone knows that IDWK is Stevie's Everly Brothers tribute but I never really put much thought into the melody. I happened to hear All I Have to Do Is Dream the other night for the first time in a while and part of the melody is very similar, only at a lower key and slower tempo for All I Have to Do Is Dream. Just listen to the first verse of each song back to back.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can definitely hear what you're talking about. A mash-up would be cool...hard with the differences in tempo though
Old 07-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's why they should do IDWTK on tour. It was made for a duet. As soon as they found that they'd be without Christine, I'd have thought they'd pull this song out.

I remember Stevie saying she didn't understand why she had to stay in Aspen when Lindsey was on tour with Everly, since she considered herself an original Everly brother.

Michele
Old 07-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
That's why they should do IDWTK on tour. It was made for a duet. As soon as they found that they'd be without Christine, I'd have thought they'd pull this song out.

I remember Stevie saying she didn't understand why she had to stay in Aspen when Lindsey was on tour with Everly, since she considered herself an original Everly brother.

Michele
It would be amazing to hear/see this live...in person, on a bootleg, dvd etc...other than the Buckingham/Nicks 1974 live one.

I wonder though, if the two of them could still do the harmonies as well as they used to without relying on the backup singers. I think that might ruin it. Still...definitely worth a try on their part.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Senior Ledgie

I always figured they never did IDWTK live because Christine couldn't contribute anything to the performance. I don't even think she was on the album version was she? But they should definitely do this one now. It's the perfect time to pull it out of the wood work.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala View Post
It would be amazing to hear/see this live...in person, on a bootleg, dvd etc...other than the Buckingham/Nicks 1974 live one.

I wonder though, if the two of them could still do the harmonies as well as they used to without relying on the backup singers. I think that might ruin it. Still...definitely worth a try on their part.
As much as I love IDWTK, I doubt if it would come off well with their vocal ranges these days. On the original, Stevie's harmony requires a high B, an area where she never ventures these days. They could drop the key, but I don't think it would sound right in a lower register. And utilizing backup singers would ruin it, because its charm is in the Everly Brothers-style two part harmonies.

Best to enjoy the Rumours version and let it stay as it was.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders8323 View Post
I always figured they never did IDWTK live because Christine couldn't contribute anything to the performance. I don't even think she was on the album version was she? But they should definitely do this one now. It's the perfect time to pull it out of the wood work.
Stevie said in an interview the band forced her to record IDWTK to replace Silver Springs. She said she basicly recorded it "with a gun to her head." I don't think the song holds good memories for her to want to perform it live...
Old 07-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders8323 View Post
I always figured they never did IDWTK live because Christine couldn't contribute anything to the performance.
I think it's possible they played it at some point. Just because we don't happen to have a recording of it doesn't mean it was never played. Mick Fleetwood knew the song from somewhere: didn't he say he was the one who suggested to Stevie that it be recorded as a replacement for Silver Springs? How did he know about it? Buckingham Nicks played it, but how would Fleetwood know? There are hundreds of Mac concerts from 1975 & 1976 we don't have recordings of.

Quote:
I don't even think she was on the album version was she?
I can't hear her -- keyboard or vocal -- on the album cut, but you can hear her Fender Rhodes on the 5.1 version when you separate the tracks.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Senior Ledgie

In one of the books about Rumours, either Ken Caillat of Richard Dashut mentioned that it was the easiest song to record on the album. I think he said that Lindsey and Stevie were both in a particularly good mood on the day, they went into the studio that morning and knocked it out in just a couple of hours.

IDWK also has some similarities to Angelsea by Cat Stevens.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember Stevie also said that IDWTK was one of her only songs that didn't mean anything. She was just playing around with the different guitar tunings Lindsey left around the house. I know she describes her songs as her children, but I don't think she has any special bond with this kid. Lindsey is the one who talked about it on the audio commentary.

Michele
Old 07-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Stevie said in an interview the band forced her to record IDWTK to replace Silver Springs. She said she basicly recorded it "with a gun to her head."
LMAO. With out a doubt Stevie is the most dramactic person of all time. That seriously made me laugh out loud.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Love your sig EnchantedKiwi...what show is that picture from?

In the Making of Rumours DVD Stevie talks pretty matter-of-factly about the song. They couldn't/wouldn't do SS...she had to record IDWK...and that was that. But she says she liked the song.

But of course, you all know that.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala View Post
Love your sig EnchantedKiwi...what show is that picture from?

In the Making of Rumours DVD Stevie talks pretty matter-of-factly about the song. They couldn't/wouldn't do SS...she had to record IDWK...and that was that. But she says she liked the song.

But of course, you all know that.
[IMG]Buckinghamnicks[/IMG]

Oh Thanks! I can't think for the life of me what show it is from but this is the original..

[IMG]3553944757_6b63b8d3a3_o.jpg[/IMG]

I just love the way in which Stevie describes stuff so intensely
Old 07-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedKiwi View Post

Oh Thanks! I can't think for the life of me what show it is from but this is the original..
Those are some killer smiles.

Michele
Old 07-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting the original pic EnchantedKiwi. What a great moment to capture