The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It cost me and my wife a total of 250 Euros just to get two tickets for a 2.5 hour show. Thats a quarter of a thousand pounds. Very Expensive in the current climate. When you count in a hotel, food and going out afterwards your easily talking 650 Euros ***EASILY***

I am also a bit dissappointed that the ledge members dont get priorty front row presale tickets. Actually even the Official fan club didnt bother offering presale tickets this time round.

I can live without a tour program and album for now, and I can think of no other way I would more like to spend 250 Euros.

So no problem.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonWaterPoet View Post
I take it that you didn't see them on the "RUMOURS" tour either... and get a tour book from then???
louielouie2000 wasn't old enough to see them on the Rumours Tour. In fact he might not have even been born yet.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The lack of tourbook is no big deal, if it was like the tourbooks for Stevie's last couple of tours then we're better off. "Silver Springs" being dropped I think had more to do with time, prior to a show a band tells the venue how long the show is going to be (they "rent" the venue based on the time) at the second Mohegan Sun show last week, the show ran just as long as the first show in March, but without Springs. The other songs were much longer the second time.
As for not having a new album, that didn't bother me either. Lots of classic rock artists tour these days without an album. Billy Joel hasn't put out a new album since 1992 and has toured nearly every year since then and sells out every show and they are great. Elton John is another who tours regularly without an album.
I thought the shows I saw (both Mohegan Sun shows) were the best Mac shows I've ever seen (previous tours were 1990, 1997 and 2004). Wouldn't have changed a thing.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuncles View Post
I thought the shows I saw (both Mohegan Sun shows) were the best Mac shows I've ever seen (previous tours were 1990, 1997 and 2004). Wouldn't have changed a thing.
I missed their show this year, but I still thought it was the best show I've ever seen.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Elton John is another who tours regularly without an album.
I have to disagree. Yeah, he is touring this year without a new album. But he still manages to crank out a lot of material to tour behind- studio albums, compilations, live albums, etc. And I think it wasn't until fairly recently that his streak of charting a single in the Top 40 every single year consecutively for decades was broken. Admittedly, I am not a fan of all he does, but I do admire his work productivity.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What I mean with Elton John is that he tours all the time and not always with an album to support. In fact the last time I saw him when he toured in support of an album, he only did like two songs from the new album and the rest was all classic stuff. His shows by the way are incredible non stop hits and he does pretty much everything hit wise you'd want to hear.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Registered

Default 2 Gripes

'2 Gripes' isn't a bad idea, regarding the Unleashed Tour
1. The music...with the exception of SS not being done at some venues, the unimaginative insistance to cast the tour setlist in stone, as if it were a Broadway play, or a touring company of 'Cats', is just so lame, and so un-rock and roll, so uninspired, and so old-farts of them. Stevie's refusal to perform any Mac songs past 1982 (yes, the '83 'Stand Back' made the cut, i know) negates the fact that she has plenty of material from '84 on that should be included if she had any self-respect for her writing output of the past 25 years, it's like nothing after 'Gypsy' or 'Stand Back' has any merit in her mind, which i find disgusting. It's not only her shortchanging herself, its her not respecting her audience who have tried to hold on to her own desire that she be respected as a songwriter throughout her entire career, not just 1975 through 1983. And it's boring, and it's lazy. A Stevie-Lindsey 'Candlebright' moment would be inspired-- i know it was written in the early 70s, but with it not being officially released til 2001, it could be interesting live. Or 'Thrown Down', certainly a stellar example of a more recent songwriting triumph. Or mashing 'Everybody Finds Out' and 'Big Love' together, as we heard in an early version of EFO-- I'm not even suggesting she'd have to perform ALL of EFO, just a few verses and one chorus, would be enough to acknowledge that there are fans who do appreciate her later work- these three songs weren't hits, but then neither were 'Storms', 'I know I'm Not Wrong' and others that are included.
And not to even try even a few lines of"Frozen Love" which could fit so well into 'The Chain' is a missed opportunity. They don't see fit to even pay homage to Buckingham Nicks, which lead to them being in Mac.
In the earlier days of 'I Need to Know', it was kind of cool when she'd end it with 'take your violet and blue mornings with you'-- i don't see why she can't take a line or 2 from any of her volumes of songs and tack it onto the end of the dreadful 'Dreams', or just to be interesting, or poetic, early on in 'Rhiannon', try something like--"don't go..and still she goes each day to the forest of the black roses' or ANY line that would pay homage to her own vast output of songwriting that she seldom performs live.
Since this is so longwinded, i'll stop at 'one gripe'-- the unimaginative, stagnant, set-in-stone same songs every damned night. Cheating themselves, underestimating an audience's appreciation and knowledge of their musical history, and just painting by numbers every night. It would be artistry to allow a spontaneous moment, throw in a surprise unique to each performance, or even 1 in 20 performances.
No wonder her feet hurt

Last edited by Nikolaj; 06-23-2009 at 01:07 PM..
Old 06-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
'2 Gripes' isn't a bad idea, regarding the Unleashed Tour
"....as if it were a Broadway play, or a touring company of 'Cats', is just so lame, and so un-rock and roll, so uninspired, and so old-farts of them."
I would have to agree for the most part. They did shake up a few songs on the Oakland setlist and I'm sure many others, but there was definitely the capacity to do more with it. A few SYW tracks would have been great but in general, I found it alright that they kept it old school for this tour.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The lack of tourbook is no big deal, if it was like the tourbooks for Stevie's last couple of tours then we're better off. "Silver Springs" being dropped I think had more to do with time, prior to a show a band tells the venue how long the show is going to be (they "rent" the venue based on the time) at the second Mohegan Sun show last week, the show ran just as long as the first show in March, but without Springs. The other songs were much longer the second time.
As for not having a new album, that didn't bother me either. Lots of classic rock artists tour these days without an album. Billy Joel hasn't put out a new album since 1992 and has toured nearly every year since then and sells out every show and they are great. Elton John is another who tours regularly without an album.
I agree, the tourbooks have been so crappy lately (thanks to chris nicks no doubt) that I would rather they not have them.....I went to the show in Arizona and got the all access pass which I thought was well worth it, and the show was awesome. I guess most bands are going with the all access passes now vice presales for fan club members....
Old 06-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Registered

sk..wrote:
I thought the shows I saw (both Mohegan Sun shows) were the best Mac shows I've ever seen (previous tours were 1990, 1997 and 2004). Wouldn't have changed a thing.[/QUOTE]

I can respect your being a big fan and entitled to your own opinion, my fellow-CT rain-dweller. I disagree though I thought both the '97 & '03-04 tours were much better in that there was some new material, though to my taste, not the right new material performed on the SYW tour. I enjoyed the MoSun concert this spring, but I think it's an attitude of 'settling' and just being glad to see Fleetwood Mac do anything that lets them get away with performing material solely from '75 to '87 and really only "Big Love" represents '87, so for the most part, we have songs from '75 to '82 , which, to me, is unacceptable.
As a fan, I'd like to think my enjoyment and support of their '87 through '03 cds could be represented with a 'Thrown Down', 'Tango In The Night',and 'Seven Wonders' as well as a stellar Lindsey song from 'GOS' or even ('Think I'm In) Trouble'-- after all, wasn't that really his biggest solo hit single?
Stevie should also be digging deeper to any one previously unperformed solo song--to bookend her likewise previously unperformed 'Storms' with Mac- maybe not a hit, even- (but neither were some songs in the Unleashed tour hits, like 'IKINW'.)
It is unsatisfying to me to basically be 'treated' to an oldies show exclusively; with all but one FM song from no later than 1982- I don't feel Fleetwood Mac are A Flock of Seagulls or Pat Benatar, and even Pat is wise enough to represent her post-biggest hit years whenever she tours... I think an attitude of 'I wouldn't change a thing about this tour' just supports the idea that anything Fleetwood Mac recorded after 'Mirage' isn't worth revisiting, which is a disservice to them, and to all of us who have supported their work since 'Mirage'- 'Big Love' isn't enough from 'Tango', which was a huge worldwide seller- perhaps the Euro leg of the tour will explore 'Tango' more. If not, a cpl of SYW songs like 'Thrown Down' or 'Miranda' would work beautifully in the set. How was 'Gypsy' at the MoSun last week? IMO, it was horrid in March.
Really, you wouldn't change a thing?? Nothing? "Frozen Love" or "Races Are Run" wouldn't be more interesting than 'Second Hand News'? 'Dreams' so dully stopping the concert just as its started, rather than something we haven't heard 10 million effin times at almost the very same moment of every tour since forever?
I think we can be big fans without resorting to being satisfied by being given some of the same extremely lame and easily corrected predictable safe choices that the band refuses to change. The best place to start would be adding songs from TITN and SYW, and 'hits' even that we have never heard Lindsey and Stevie perform together live, like 'Little Lies' and 'Seven Wonders'.
Lindsey performing TITN which is a favorite amongst many Ledgies, would be another big step in making the show not just a '75-'82 retrospective. For once, 'Dreams' could be performed near the end of the concert, or even as an encore. Find a way to wake Rhiannon out of the coma she has been in since The Street Angel Tour, which, imo, was absolutely the final time Stevie performed it well.
There's a ton about the Unleashed tour that could be a lot better, and it wouldn't be that hard to turn it into a hits-themed show that it is now but at the same time find new life breathing in the material-- the running order is too, too, predictable, and predictable isn't what we want from a band we respect, is it, really?
Old 06-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannieKartis View Post
I agree, the tourbooks have been so crappy lately (thanks to chris nicks no doubt) that I would rather they not have them.....I went to the show in Arizona and got the all access pass which I thought was well worth it, and the show was awesome. I guess most bands are going with the all access passes now vice presales for fan club members....
I asked Cory, Mick's assistant in the meetngreets about the tourbooks and she said it had something to do with getting permission from Christine and that's why they have the same picture as the SYW tour on the merchandise that's what she said!
Old 06-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieRox2 View Post
I asked Cory, Mick's assistant in the meetngreets about the tourbooks and she said it had something to do with getting permission from Christine and that's why they have the same picture as the SYW tour on the merchandise that's what she said!
That's interesting. They don't have to get permission from Christine to use pictures of the four of them. She doesn't own any of their images and they create a new licensing corporation for every tour. Obviously, Chris gets a profit from the old stuff, but not the new.

If I really thought Christine was the reason we didn't have a tourbook, I'd go to England and steal one of those sheep I'm sure (or Stevie's sure) she's probably raising on that farm of hers. How dare she! She has now burned her bridges for good.

Michele
Old 06-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Find a way to wake Rhiannon out of the coma she has been in since The Street Angel Tour, which, imo, was absolutely the final time Stevie performed it well.

Rhiannon
has been a snooze forever, even at the beginning of this tour, but I have to say that the last west coast shows I saw had her picking up the end a great deal. I don't know what she was like vocally, but she was frenzied, waving her head and shaking her hands in a rushed manner. I thought to myself that her energy evoked Rhiannons of the past.

I stopped in the middle of my knitting, looked over at her and thought, "Wow!"

Michele
Old 06-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Rhiannon
has been a snooze forever, even at the beginning of this tour, but I have to say that the last west coast shows I saw had her picking up the end a great deal. I don't know what she was like vocally, but she was frenzied, waving her head and shaking her hands in a rushed manner. I thought to myself that her energy evoked Rhiannons of the past.

I stopped in the middle of my knitting, looked over at her and thought, "Wow!"

Michele
I'm happy to hear that! Frenzy, head waving and shaking hands, all rushed-- that sounds like it looked like vintage Stevie. Love the imagery of you knitting at a concert! (The ending of 'Rhiannon' on the SA tour i thought was killer...
'and wouldn't you love...wouldn't you luh-hhuve...wouldn't you lovv-vuh,
to-who love herrr" and then crouching down, holding her gaze defiantly... so sexy, and torchy, and way more musically correct to all of the preceding lyrics than the gawd-awful 'dont leave me now'...ick

I shoduz complain a lot.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
sk..wrote:
I can respect your being a big fan and entitled to your own opinion, my fellow-CT rain-dweller. I disagree though I thought both the '97 & '03-04 tours were much better in that there was some new material, though to my taste, not the right new material performed on the SYW tour. I enjoyed the MoSun concert this spring, but I think it's an attitude of 'settling' and just being glad to see Fleetwood Mac do anything that lets them get away with performing material solely from '75 to '87 and really only "Big Love" represents '87, so for the most part, we have songs from '75 to '82 , which, to me, is unacceptable.
As a fan, I'd like to think my enjoyment and support of their '87 through '03 cds could be represented with a 'Thrown Down', 'Tango In The Night',and 'Seven Wonders' as well as a stellar Lindsey song from 'GOS' or even ('Think I'm In) Trouble'-- after all, wasn't that really his biggest solo hit single?
Stevie should also be digging deeper to any one previously unperformed solo song--to bookend her likewise previously unperformed 'Storms' with Mac- maybe not a hit, even- (but neither were some songs in the Unleashed tour hits, like 'IKINW'.)
It is unsatisfying to me to basically be 'treated' to an oldies show exclusively; with all but one FM song from no later than 1982- I don't feel Fleetwood Mac are A Flock of Seagulls or Pat Benatar, and even Pat is wise enough to represent her post-biggest hit years whenever she tours... I think an attitude of 'I wouldn't change a thing about this tour' just supports the idea that anything Fleetwood Mac recorded after 'Mirage' isn't worth revisiting, which is a disservice to them, and to all of us who have supported their work since 'Mirage'- 'Big Love' isn't enough from 'Tango', which was a huge worldwide seller- perhaps the Euro leg of the tour will explore 'Tango' more. If not, a cpl of SYW songs like 'Thrown Down' or 'Miranda' would work beautifully in the set. How was 'Gypsy' at the MoSun last week? IMO, it was horrid in March.
Really, you wouldn't change a thing?? Nothing? "Frozen Love" or "Races Are Run" wouldn't be more interesting than 'Second Hand News'? 'Dreams' so dully stopping the concert just as its started, rather than something we haven't heard 10 million effin times at almost the very same moment of every tour since forever?
I think we can be big fans without resorting to being satisfied by being given some of the same extremely lame and easily corrected predictable safe choices that the band refuses to change. The best place to start would be adding songs from TITN and SYW, and 'hits' even that we have never heard Lindsey and Stevie perform together live, like 'Little Lies' and 'Seven Wonders'.
Lindsey performing TITN which is a favorite amongst many Ledgies, would be another big step in making the show not just a '75-'82 retrospective. For once, 'Dreams' could be performed near the end of the concert, or even as an encore. Find a way to wake Rhiannon out of the coma she has been in since The Street Angel Tour, which, imo, was absolutely the final time Stevie performed it well.
There's a ton about the Unleashed tour that could be a lot better, and it wouldn't be that hard to turn it into a hits-themed show that it is now but at the same time find new life breathing in the material-- the running order is too, too, predictable, and predictable isn't what we want from a band we respect, is it, really?[/QUOTE]Wow all I can say is ahmen to that.....I agree on most points you make. I didn't go to see them on this tour...ticket prices...heck even the cheaper seats didn't warrent my hard earned $$ right now....I don't want the predictable. I mean they'ed say they have to do all the 'hits' to make the general public happy.....but to me 'they' as the artist can really do what they want to.....but 'they' chose not too. Its the easy route all the way to the bank.....it is what it is.....can't call it anything different really. I saw Stevie in '07/08 but no more......I guess the 'live' experience isn't were its at for me anymore.....
Yeah, a TB would be nice.....but to me SYW wasn't any good/boring really.....we all know how Stevie's are since her brother has done them....Really they all could be really special. I wished Mac had done one for Mirage....all those outtake pictures that are wonderful.....& no one gets to see them......why take all those pictures through the years but no one 'see's ' them .....stupid really....same for Stevie....put I guess we could also put the outtakes/masters/alternates/extended versions for there music as well with that lump some.......some things will not ever change......I don't know......IMO anyway but to each his or her own.......life does go on............................................................................................:shrug :
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."