Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey Boston Globe Interview

[as usual, we'd prefer the uncondensed]

Buckingham talks new Fleetwood Mac music

By Sarah Rodman | Boston Globe Staff June 20, 2013

http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/musi...h1N/story.html

Lindsey Buckingham is not a big fan of looking back or investigating the various versions of his songs.

The Fleetwood Mac guitarist has not seen “Sound City,” the recently released Dave Grohl documentary about the LA recording studio that played a pivotal role in the formation of the Buckingham-Nicks incarnation of the band. The episode of “Glee” devoted to the classic Mac album “Rumours” also escaped him. He has not heard the various tribute albums dedicated to the group. He didn’t catch Little Big Town and Keith Urban performing “The Chain” on the recent CMT awards. He does not have a favorite cover. “I’m not well enough informed,” he says with a laugh on the phone from a Chicago tour stop.

When it’s suggested he gather all these various items together and spend a day immersed in them, he jokes, “Yeah, I’ll spend a whole day and drop a tab of acid and watch all this stuff. Hopefully, I’ll have a good trip.”

We chatted with Buckingham, who plays with Fleetwood Mac at the Comcast Center on Friday, about the trip so far.

Q. Recently Fleetwood Mac released a four-song EP. After the various reissues, does it feel good to put out new music?

A. Last year we contemplated things we could do that would set this tour apart and might sow some seeds for down the line. So John and Mick came over from Hawaii and we got in the studio and cut a bunch of stuff without knowing exactly where it was going. I won’t say it was a surprise, but I will say it was a pleasant outcome and we were all very excited about it.

Q. So these four songs could be a launching pad?

A. That would be on our wish list. Fleetwood Mac’s politics are sort of like walking through a minefield. (Laughs.) I guess a lot of bands are really. So we’ll see how it goes.

Q. Two of the four tunes really struck me. One is your ballad “It Takes Time,” which feels like a very honest look back at the band and your relationship with Stevie.

A. It is. It’s probably fair to say a lot of what she’s done on her own and a lot of what I’ve done on my own and to some degree what we’ve done within the context of the band has been — at a distance — to prove something to each other, even though we haven’t been together for years and years.

Q. And her song “Without You,” was actually written back when you were together and sounds of a piece with your early work with the group. The two songs feel like bookends of a kind.

A. Well yes, because [hers] is, on a subject matter level and even on a stylistic level, very innocent and naïve in a way, and maybe not even fully formed in terms of the place we got to. But more importantly, it’s very idealistic and full of illusion, and we need our illusions. But later on you have to grow and come to grips. Mine was written at a time where instead of all this being before us, it’s more or less behind us and in a very appropriate way all of those illusions have been cast aside.

Q. What does your wife think about the fact that you’re still writing songs about Stevie Nicks?

A. That’s a good question. She’s secure enough, and knows who she is and knows who we are enough, to be philosophical about it and to be able to separate the professional side of my life, and the role that I might be playing at this point, from the reality.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Q. What does your wife think about the fact that you’re still writing songs about Stevie Nicks?

A. That’s a good question. She’s secure enough, and knows who she is and knows who we are enough, to be philosophical about it and to be able to separate the professional side of my life, and the role that I might be playing at this point, from the reality.
Alas! The elephant in the room has been addressed.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Alas! The elephant in the room has been addressed.
Yep!! Good question and I have often wondered the same thing.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
[as usual, we'd prefer the uncondensed]

This is not the first time he's referred to his dynamic with Stevie as being "role playing" these days. As if he's just going along with the expectations of the crowd that there's still some dynamic between them other than a purely professional, money-making job.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That's why I always liked how the McVies handled themselves post-divorce. Once their marriage was over, they were able to have a cordial, friendly, and professional relationship without having to relive the drama night after night. Yeah, we all knew they were divorced, but we could easily see them still hanging out at the bar after the show, as friends would.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
This is not the first time he's referred to his dynamic with Stevie as being "role playing" these days. As if he's just going along with the expectations of the crowd that there's still some dynamic between them other than a purely professional, money-making job.
Yeah, he sort of speaks out of both sides of his mouth on that subject.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
That's why I always liked how the McVies handled themselves post-divorce. Once their marriage was over, they were able to have a cordial, friendly, and professional relationship without having to relive the drama night after night. Yeah, we all knew they were divorced, but we could easily see them still hanging out at the bar after the show, as friends would.
that's why Stevie and Lindsey are the "STARS" . they wear emotions on their sleeves , and people relate to that and LOVE the drama.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:32 AM
Senior Ledgie

It's me that misunderstood or Lindsey talks in a very non linear way, I mean he loves articulating phrases .
But maybe I have read interviews about artists that talk less .

" Mi dicono alla radio statti calmo statti buono,
non esser scalmanato stai tranquillo e fatti uomo,
ma io con la mia guerra voglio andare sempre avanti,
e costi quel che costi la vincerò non ci son santi. "
Old 06-21-2013, 12:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think the McVies (or John) had a very difficult time after their divorce. They have both spoken of it. Christine has said that for awhile they could not communicate at all and then when they were friendly she was afraid that he'd take advantage of the soft spot she still had for him. She said she didn't want him to know how much she still cared. In fact, Christine even said that Stevie and Lindsey got along better than she and John did, because they still shared their music and could be quite friendly with each other, when working on that.

Even as recently as The Dance, 20 years after the divorce, after John had remarried and raised a child, he was still said to be drinking because of Christine in the Rolling Stone interview. The audience isn't privy to all of that at a concert, but fans can certainly read about their strife.

The difference is, as Lindsey pointed out, John doesn't write songs. John also doesn't sing, so it's not like they have to play out their relationship on stage. It stays behind the scenes, but it's not because they easily became buddies who put the break up behind them. I mean, maybe they have now, but when they were working together, they still had problems. Or one of them had problems.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 06-21-2013 at 12:48 AM..
Old 06-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think the McVies (or John) had a very difficult time after their divorce.
Maybe for the first year or two. However, they clearly got past it. Hell, John came up with the bass line for "Love Will Show Us How" for Christine's solo album, and she wrote "The Challenge" for him (or his boat), so there was clearly an easing of tensions. Also, there were those videos of Chris in her house for the ITM sessions, where there were pics, probably from the "Rumours" photo shoot, of Mick and John on her walls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu39ZX5hHmA

What are the odds that Stevie and Lindsey have pictures of each other on their walls? They've always they kept any issues they may have had between them in the public eye.

As for any issues around "The Dance", I don't recall John ever saying that he was drinking because of Christine (I suspect he fell off the wagon around BTM), only that she told him to "***ban worthy word, which happens around here*** off" before they got to the bar during one stop of the tour.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 06-21-2013 at 09:57 PM..
Old 06-21-2013, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Maybe for the first year or two. However, they clearly got past it. Hell, John came up with the bass line for "Love Will Show Us How" for Christine's solo album, and she wrote "The Challenge" for him (or his boat), so there was clearly an easing of tensions. Also, there were those videos of Chris in her house for the ITM sessions, where there were pics, probably from the "Rumours" photo shoot, of Mick and John on her walls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu39ZX5hHmA

What are the odds that Stevie and Lindsey have pictures of each other on their walls? They've always they kept any issues they may have had between them in the public eye.

As for any issues around "The Dance", I don't recall John ever saying that he was drinking because of Christine (I suspect he fell off the wagon around BTM), only that she told him to "***ban worthy word, which happens around here*** off" before they got to the bar during one stop of the tour.
Stevie had a blown-up print from the BN photoshoot displayed on her piano. There's a picture from a magazine floating around somewhere.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
John didn't say he fell off of the wagon because of Christine. Uncut (not Rolling Stone, as I'd said) said that they he was seen drunk in a bar during the 1997 tour and was mumbling about Christine. Clearly, he still had a flame for her. This prompted Stevie to say that John and Christine would still be together if he could have stopped drinking.

John and Christine's . . . well, John's baggage over losing Christine lasted for at least 20 years after the break up. I gather that Christine didn't have a problem with him and moved on, relatively quickly.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 06-21-2013 at 10:46 PM..
Old 06-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know if Lindsey hangs any pictures of FM on his walls. But seeing as how he put pictures of the whole band -- and LOTS of Stevie (including a shot where his eyes blended into hers) -- in the SYH video that he made himself (with a handheld camera) for his solo album, I think he doesn't have a particular problem looking at her picture.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 06-21-2013 at 10:20 PM..
Old 06-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know if Lindsey hangs any pictures of FM on his walls. But seeing as how he put pictures of the whole band -- and LOTS of Stevie (including a shot where his eyes blended into hers) -- in the SHY video that he made himself (with a handheld camera) for his solo album, I think he doesn't have a particular problem looking at her picture.

Michele
He did have that big framed pic of himself, Mick, & John in his studio at the old house.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Awww. I was reading the long Rolling Stone article, in thinking of Steve's comments, but then I saw a shorter "catching up" article from 1997 in Rolling Stone and Christine said,

Quote:
"Just to hear your voice with mine and Stevie's," says Christine McVie to Buckingham. "It just blows me away. I get goose bumps the size of chickens' eggs."
I love that. I know she said it about Lindsey when they did that Disney Coming Home special, but I forgot she said it to him in an interview. Dying here.

Michele