The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-18-2024, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's okay and it's good that many will be introduced to the 71-74 period for the first time.It's at #10 in the UK after 274 straignt weeks in the top 100, peaking at #5 and only dipping out of the top 50 for 4 weeks. I hope some dribs and drabs of royalties are finding their way to Danny's heirs. .

A few quibbles/observations:

Nothing from [I]Mr Wonderful/I] ? Could not Stop messin' around or Lazy Poker Blues have been squeezed in?

Why no Why?

Brown Eyes instead of Think about me. Christine did sensuousness well, when she put her mind to it

Please save us from Oh Diane. I'm not triggered by much...

The only reason Paper Doll is there is stop us having six Christine songs in a row. They could have put Big Love after Everywhere to break that sequence up a bit.

I'm fine with no Burnette/Vito/Mason/Bramlett compositions.

A couple of braver choices from SYW would have been welcome. Everybody Finds Out and Say Goodbye perhaps.

Nothing from the Finn/Campbell lineup to launch the supposed new era after all they trouble they went to to ditch LB. I'm not that bothered, but the completist nerd in me is annoyed we never got a studio recoring from FM XIV. Miss Fantasy might have been a better, calming, ambiguous ending to the collection in its absence.

Actually, the whole chronological approach is a bit tedious. A mix-and-match between eras might have been interesting.

Last edited by Mr Scarrott; 02-18-2024 at 02:33 PM..
Old 02-18-2024, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You made me Google Danny's son. I didn't even know that he had one. His name is Dominic Daniel. He'd be 53.
I wonder if this is him?
http://www.dominickirwan.com/?fbclid...FzGbwEQ4FzkbcA
Old 02-18-2024, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
You made me Google Danny's son. I didn't even know that he had one. His name is Dominic Daniel. He'd be 53.
I wonder if this is him?
http://www.dominickirwan.com/?fbclid...FzGbwEQ4FzkbcA
Ah that’ll be the Irish Kirwans…
Old 02-18-2024, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
Ah that’ll be the Irish Kirwans…
Apparently a common name across the pond. And this guy has many Facebook profiles.
Old 02-18-2024, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't really find anything in the public domain for Danny's son, Dominic Daniel Kirwan, who would be 52 now.

I'm not sure I've seen this comment before from Jeremy following Danny's death

“It’s hard to say what caused Danny’s later problems,” considers Spencer. “Some blame the drugs and the alcohol, which in some ways enhances inherent psychological problems, and him being a ‘sensitive musician’ to boot. He was jittery and nervous, and the pressure became too much for him. He once said in a rare interview from the 90s something along the lines of playing the black people’s music requiring too much of you, and he regretted touching it. In some ways, I agree; when truly playing blues, you need a balance of positive energy, if you like, to counteract the possibility of being swallowed up in the ‘Green Manalishi’ of deep, dark depression.

“We lost regular contact after I left the band in 1971,” Spencer continues. “Although we did meet for coffee in London, 1978, and did not meet again until the early 2000s, when my wife and I met him, his ex-wife Clare and their son Dominic for lunch in London. It was pleasant enough, even though he was in his own world.”

The same article speaks of him being kept going by royalty cheques in a basement Brixton flat.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/then...t-danny-kirwan

When I lived in London I often imagined bumping into Danny somewhere or other; I hope I would have had the good sense to let him be. I think he was in a homeless hostel in Covent Garden for a long period; those royalty cheques can't have amounted to that much.
Old 02-18-2024, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
I can't really find anything in the public domain for Danny's son, Dominic Daniel Kirwan, who would be 52 now.

“It’s hard to say what caused Danny’s later problems,” considers Spencer. “Some blame the drugs and the alcohol, which in some ways enhances inherent psychological problems, and him being a ‘sensitive musician’ to boot. He was jittery and nervous, and the pressure became too much for him. He once said in a rare interview from the 90s something along the lines of playing the black people’s music requiring too much of you, and he regretted touching it. In some ways, I agree; when truly playing blues, you need a balance of positive energy, if you like, to counteract the possibility of being swallowed up in the ‘Green Manalishi’ of deep, dark depression.

“We lost regular contact after I left the band in 1971,” Spencer continues. “Although we did meet for coffee in London, 1978, and did not meet again until the early 2000s, when my wife and I met him, his ex-wife Clare and their son Dominic for lunch in London. It was pleasant enough, even though he was in his own world.”

The same article speaks of him being kept going by royalty cheques in a basement Brixton flat.

When I lived in London I often imagined bumping into Danny somewhere or other; I hope I would have had the good sense to let him be. I think he was in a homeless hostel in Covent Garden for a long period; those royalty cheques can't have amounted to that much.
There's a huge amount on wiki about him. With quotes from many, concerning him.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I admit that I have often tried to find information on Clare and Dominic. I'm not sure what I would do with it. I mean, it's not like I'm going to write either of them and say "Send me something of Danny's." However, I have a fascination with the whole Kirwan clan. They somehow managed to leave NO social media footprint and are entirely untraceable. This, in itself, is a remarkable feat for anyone in 2024--or even back in 2005. No photos. Nothing. Or almost nothing. There is this statement she made following Danny's death: On his song writing skills, Clare Morris (Danny's ex-wife) said, 'Danny was completely dedicated to his craft and I remember how relieved he was that he'd been able to rise to the challenge.'

Last edited by aleuzzi; 02-19-2024 at 11:49 AM..
Old 02-19-2024, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I admit that I have often tried to find information on Clare and Dominic. I'm not sure what I would do with it. I mean, it's not like I'm going to write either of them and say "Send me something of Danny's." However, I have a fascination with the whole Kirwan clan. They somehow managed to leave NO social media footprint and are entirely untraceable. This, in itself, is a remarkable feat for anyone in 2024--or even back in 2005. No photos. Nothing. Or almost nothing. There is this statement she made following Danny's death: On his song writing skills, Clare Morris (Danny's ex-wife) said, 'Danny was completely dedicated to his craft and I remember how relieved he was that he'd been able to rise to the challenge.'

I only found out today that Danny was born Daniel David Langran and that he later took his stepfather's name. Using public domain information, I've established that his mother and stepfather are long dead, as would be expected. Danny's maternal grandparents who married in 1910 in Wandsworth were Henry Thomas Langran and Daisy Buckingham. Isn't that weird?
Old 02-19-2024, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I only found out today that Danny was born Daniel David Langran and that he later took his stepfather's name. Using public domain information, I've established that his mother and stepfather are long dead, as would be expected. Danny's maternal grandparents who married in 1910 in Wandsworth were Henry Thomas Langran and Daisy Buckingham. Isn't that weird?
Smart public people don't use their last name. I know a couple that just use their first and middle names.
Old 02-19-2024, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I’ve learned more from your post than I have in hours of searching…so thanks!
Old 02-19-2024, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I’ve learned more from your post than I have in hours of searching…so thanks!
Danny's grandfather was a lorry driver in Battersea per the 1939 population register and his family seems to have been solidly working class, judging by the jobs being undertaken by his aunt (sausage machine filler) and uncles- (pottery labourer, motor lorry van guards, provision factory labourer). Again, this is in the public domain.

In theory it might be possible to find cousins of Danny, but I'm leaving well alone.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Danny's maternal grandparents who married in 1910 in Wandsworth were Henry Thomas Langran and Daisy Buckingham. Isn't that weird?
That is weird!
Old 02-20-2024, 01:30 PM

This is a lot of information I never had!
Old 02-20-2024, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
This is a lot of information I never had!
That's good to hear. I'm a keen amateur genealogist so I'm used to untangling mysteries. English Civil Birth, Marriage and Death records are a great resource once you've worked out how to use them. A bit of reticence is needed with people who may still be living, though.

I don't suppose Lindsey and Danny had a traceable ancestor in common, but you never know.

There are 6 Lindsey Buckinghams (at least 3 of whom were girls) recorded as being born in England & Wales since 1837 on the database I use, 1 Christine McVie, 12 Christine Perfects, 2 Stephanie Nickses, 9 John McVies and a rather worrying 44 Michael Fleetwoods. What a thought!
Old 02-20-2024, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank god there's only one Mick!