User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Heart Sisters... so what do we think?

I think this totally deserves it's own thread. Now that we've got an MP3 version of Sisters Of The Moon, what are everyone's initial impressions?

When the song first started it gave me the chills, I think her older voice actually totally works for it. I was somewhat disappointed when she skipped to a lower key for the chorus, but that was very much expected. I think the song more or less sounds exactly the way it should: it's dark, spooky, and still rocks. I think it might actually be better than I thought it would be.

Now for my big disappointments: I really hoped Lindsey would share a verse like in the old days. Something about his singing a verse really drove the song home in my opinion. The only other thing I wish they'd tweak is that the song really needs a stand alone guitar solo. I think the loss of both of these elements makes the song seem a bit anticlimactic. It just seems rushed. Sharon & Lori are a bit too understated, too... I love the backing vocals I can hear, though!

Those nitpicky things aside, I totally understand how this song would be more than a bit intimidating for Stevie, however. It is the song her fans obsess over most. It's her most iconic live song of all time. It's utterly representative of her out of control cocaine use. I'm shocked Stevie agreed to ever perform it again. Which is more than likely why she's rushing through the performance. Still, I'm so glad it's in the setlist, and I hope it stays.

EDIT: here's the download link for those who didn't see it in the opening night thread- http://www.mediafire.com/?l468045hdcaept1#!

Last edited by louielouie2000; 04-05-2013 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: added download link
Old 04-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I honestly don't care if it'd been acoustic. The fact that it's back in the set is enough to make me thank the Mac gods for the rest of the summer. I think it sounds a lot better than I was honestly expecting....
Old 04-05-2013, 07:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought it sounded great. I agree in that I was a little surprised in how short it was. But I really hope it stays in the setlist and I can't wait to hopefully hear it in a few months.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Is it on YT yet? I can't d/l the mediafire link.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:31 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
Is it on YT yet? I can't d/l the mediafire link.
I've got the same problem.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I think it might actually be better than I thought it would be.

It just seems rushed. Sharon & Lori are a bit too understated, too... I love the backing vocals I can hear, though!

Still, I'm so glad it's in the setlist, and I hope it stays.
I liked it overall, much better than I thought I would. I didn't care for Stevie's repetition of "Sisters" in places I had never heard before, but Great vocal and solid tune, no doubt.

I fear that this, along with some of the "other" newer songs didn't get the recognition they deserved. I was around a bunch of casuals....I could be wrong about the floor, though.

Thought about Lori and Sharon...they seemed to disappear alot during the set. I'm So Afraid and the acoustic set are the obvious songs, here.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySequences View Post
I liked it overall, much better than I thought I would. I didn't care for Stevie's repetition of "Sisters" in places I had never heard before, but Great vocal and solid tune, no doubt.

I fear that this, along with some of the "other" newer songs didn't get the recognition they deserved. I was around a bunch of casuals....I could be wrong about the floor, though.

Thought about Lori and Sharon...they seemed to disappear alot during the set. I'm So Afraid and the acoustic set are the obvious songs, here.
are there videos for the song on you tube. can't find any.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought they handled the song well but it could use a guitar solo and a bit more of a dramatic ending, but overall Stevie adapted it well to her present day vocal. It truly is a gem of a song and could easily replace Rhiannon. Wouldn't it be wonderful with a slow piano beginning with Stevie singing in a soft voice?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Now for my big disappointments: I really hoped Lindsey would share a verse like in the old days. Something about his singing a verse really drove the song home in my opinion. The only other thing I wish they'd tweak is that the song really needs a stand alone guitar solo. I think the loss of both of these elements makes the song seem a bit anticlimactic. It just seems rushed. Sharon & Lori are a bit too understated, too... I love the backing vocals I can hear, though!
I agree. This was the biggest disappointment about it to me. I was expecting Lindsey to cut loose and he never did. Anticlimactic is a good way to describe it.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Ledgie

^ This. This song has that slow build to a dramatic ending....what happened? All of a sudden it was over...disappointing. Her vocals sounded ok, but for a live concert performance, I would have wanted a more kickass finish.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it was pretty dull. That she has to adjust the vocal is not the main problem. I agree with the notion that the instumental arrangement lacks a powerboost in the end. Indeed, where's that spinecringin' dark wavey solo?

Old 04-05-2013, 08:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

agree with shackin, seems pretty dull and just kind of fades out quickly, almost as if they knew they "had" to do it, but just wanted it over with (stevie?). Seems like it may be a physically hard for stevie's voice these days. Wonder if it will stay in the set?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy1 View Post
are there videos for the song on you tube. can't find any.
I haven't seen any yet, kathy. I was there in person. Of course, I will still be Lkin'
Old 04-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
I think it was pretty dull. That she has to adjust the vocal is not the main problem. I agree with the notion that the instumental arrangement lacks a powerboost in the end. Indeed, where's that spinecringin' dark wavey solo?
After thinking about it, I agree with Shackin', but maybe it lacks the guitar solo/powerful ending b/c it was fading into the mello Sara?

And Spoinny, I agree but the guitar riff/solo from LB would have no stain on Stevie's vocals.

It may very well be hard on her vocals to perform (like back in 79-82) But if STEVIE wanted to rush the song.....would it be in the set in the first place?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am thinking they felt they really needed to add it to the set list this time around, esp since they know the fans love it so much (don't they?), plus this is such an iconic live song for them, I bet if Stevie had her way, they wouldn't be doing it tho!