Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Didn't know she was Jill Clayburgh's daughter]

Excerpt from interview in Times Picayune, NOLA

http://www.nola.com/tv/index.ssf/201...oven_re_2.html

Lily Rabe’s character Misty Day, burned for her powers of life-restoration in the premiere episode of “American Horror Story: Coven,” returned in episode two to police bayou gator-harvesting and care for Zoe’s patchwork boyfriend, Kylenstein. Day’s house, actually a built set in the “Coven” soundstage complex in New Orleans, reveals the character’s strong affinity for Stevie Nicks.

Concert posters and even a vintage 8-track tape decorate the set. The story link may have come from Rabe’s personal appreciation for the Fleetwood Mac singer, whose 1975 song “Rhiannon” was based on the legend of a Welsh witch.

“I am obsessed with Stevie Nicks,” Rabe said during a recent visit to “Coven’s” set. “So it was a wonderful when they first told me. I thought it was a joke, because I just learned the guitar. I'm terrible but I am learning, and I started last season. The only songs I wanted to play, because they’re sort of in my register, were Stevie Nicks songs. I'd been playing the songs really badly in my trailer.”

I asked: So, is it possible if not probable that “Coven” co-creator Ryan Murphy (“Nip/Tuck,” “Glee,” the earlier two seasons of “American Horror Story” anthology) learned of Rabe’s passion for Nicks and wrote it into the character?

“I don't know,” Rabe said. “Nothing could have made me happier. I love everything about her. She's incredible and she informs so much of who Misty is. Misty is really isolated when she comes back, and Stevie is her biggest relationship, really, at the start of episode two. The person, those lyrics, who that woman is to her, is really what keeps her going. (What) inspires her and informs all of her decisions is this love of this woman. It's a total love affair that she has with her, so it's really fun.”

The daughter of actress Jill Clayburgh and playwright David Rabe, Lily Rabe is a founding member of the unique “American Horror Story” acting company, with some players returning as different characters each season.

“Something that’s so wonderfully unique, obviously, about the show is that it’s like doing repertory theater,” she said. “That's been the experience for me. All three years I've said yes knowing nothing but the character’s name, I think. First year, I knew her name. I said to Ryan, ‘Nora? Yes.’ Second year, same thing. This year I don't think I had a name when I signed on.

“I think Ryan and the writers and everyone behind the show (are) really supporting these incredible roles and particularly such amazingly rich roles for multidimensional women. You're never going to get stuck. It's very scary to say a blind ‘Yes’ to somebody. I can’t think of very many people I’d do that with. But you know you're not going to be stuck playing a stereotype, and that it will be exciting and that you’ll also be working with these other great actors, some of whom I have been working with all three years. Some of them are new, and always great.”

Another reason Rabe can give Murphy and the show a confident script-unseen “Yes” every season is that she knows that the stories beneath the shifting, over-the-top horror tales told each season have ambitions to transcend the genre.

“Ryan has an amazing ability of saying, ‘This is the world we’re living in’ and then putting all the characters in that show in the same world and letting the audience into that world,” Rabe said. “Virtually no one could do it better than he can. He does it with all of his shows so differently.

“In this show specifically, there is something heightened about it, which can be part of the fun. You really get to let it rip. I would also argue that something I love about the show is that there's a real opportunity, even with these characters, who are supernatural or extraordinary or greater-than or larger-than, to tell the truth.

“That’s why you care about the characters. In Ryan’s shows, the heart of all of it is something very truthful and human, I believe, both as viewer and a fan of his, and also now working for him for three years.”

“Coven” is the first extended residency in New Orleans for Rabe, whose prior visits have been centered around Jazz Fest.

“Living down here is a totally different experience,” said Rabe, who’s been enthusiastically exploring the local music scene in her down-time. “For my character, it's really been delicious and sweet. We’ve been able to shoot on location a lot in the heat, and I love that. It's fun when you're sweating for real and you don't have to spray it on.

“I think there's such an intense and amazing energy in the city that really works beautifully with the show. It does a lot of the work, really.”
Old 10-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
By the way, I know some of you don't like me much, but when have I delibertely lied to you all. That is what I read and I bet it's true. The problem is I can't seem to find the original article.
We're all Fleetwood Mac nerds... we like these articles to be posted here so we can read them, or know if the info was heard on a certain radio or TV show.

Quote:
isn't this show on now
Not until 10 Eastern Time/9 Central.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:18 PM
Junior Ledgie

Sara is currently playing!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:17 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
any updates
In regards to the show or anything Stevie related?

If you're a fan of the show and assuming you've seen the previous episode, here's a quick recap.

Zoe took Frankenstein Kyle back to his mother. Misty was not pleased. Kyle's mother started making out with him. Kyle's mom now realizes that something is wrong with her son. His body is different than before and she starts thrusting on him. Kyle kills her and Zoe finds out.

Cordelia was told that she was unable to have children. So she went to see Marie Laveau for a fertility spell. Marie said hell no because Cordelia's mother is her sworn enemy.

Fiona goes to see a plastic surgeon (?) doesn't like what she hears. She also has a flashback to when he killed the Supreme who came before her. Fiona starts to take Madison under her wing because she believes she next supreme. Fiona tells Madison. Madison yells she doesn't want to be supreme. Fiona tells her to kill her, Madison won't do it. So Fiona kills her.

Delphine is made Queenie's slave. Queenie's finds out who Delphine REALLY is after Delphine's mutant bull man slave (sorry I have no idea what to name him) comes to the house looking for her. Queenie tells Delphine to go hide and she will confront him. Queenie goes outside to find him. She does and says something to the idea that they are both monsters, who need to be loved, and things get heated.

The ladies have new neighbors and they are "bible beaters," a woman and her attractive young son. Madison, Queenie, and Nan take notice when they see the young man unpacking shirtless. The girls take a cake over to their new neighbors. His mother come in and ruins the party and says the have to leave to go to church. Madison gets pissed and throws a knife at his mother and sets the curtains on fire through her mind. His mother realizes what they are and makes them leave. Later she takes a bible to school and confronts Fiona about the girls behavior.

As for things Stevie related, Sara was the only song to play. The twirl was very brief. It occurred near the beginning of the episode while Sara was playing. Misty was dressed in the typical all black Stevie garb (1970s) and had a black shawl. No one was REVIVED in this episode. Kyle was on episode 2. Her music doesn't revive people. Misty has the power of resurgence. They did mention Seven Wonders, but I don't think it was a Stevie reference.

I think I covered just about everything.

Last edited by charmedhour26; 10-24-2013 at 09:18 AM..
Old 10-23-2013, 11:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you so much CharmedHour26.

Michele
Old 10-23-2013, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

CharmedHour 26 Thanks & very grateful for the updates
Old 10-24-2013, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

By the way, during the scene where Misty is in bed singing along with Sara, she then says to Kyle "Yknow Stevie didn't really find her voice until she and Lindsey joined Fleetwood Mac. That's the thing. You can't be your best self until you find your tribe. I'm still lookin' for mine."
I thought the twirling scene was really very sweet and moving because it occurs right after Zoe takes Kyle (the first person to ever keep Misty company after all the time she's spent lonely living solitary in the swamp w/ nothing but Stevie music to keep her going) away from Misty's home (leaving her completely alone and devastated again). And in her anger and sadness, she grabs her lacey shawl and starts violently twirling to the rest of Sara. Brief but I thought it held a lot of meaning since Lily Rabe keeps mentioning how Misty's love of Stevie is all that gets her by.

Also, there were the 'Seven Wonders' refs which likely had no SN influence but could give a reason for AHS to play 7W later. And I found it funny that the old 'Supreme witch' had the last name Delongpre (since Stevie's alterego was named 'Katherine Delongpre')

(sorry if anything was already mentioned. half asleep and too lazy to read every post.)
Old 10-24-2013, 03:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannondontgo View Post
By the way, during the scene where Misty is in bed singing along with Sara, she then says to Kyle "Yknow Stevie didn't really find her voice until she and Lindsey joined Fleetwood Mac. That's the thing. You can't be your best self until you find your tribe. I'm still lookin' for mine."
I thought the twirling scene was really very sweet and moving because it occurs right after Zoe takes Kyle (the first person to ever keep Misty company after all the time she's spent lonely living solitary in the swamp w/ nothing but Stevie music to keep her going) away from Misty's home (leaving her completely alone and devastated again). And in her anger and sadness, she grabs her lacey shawl and starts violently twirling to the rest of Sara. Brief but I thought it held a lot of meaning since Lily Rabe keeps mentioning how Misty's love of Stevie is all that gets her by.

Also, there were the 'Seven Wonders' refs which likely had no SN influence but could give a reason for AHS to play 7W later. And I found it funny that the old 'Supreme witch' had the last name Delongpre (since Stevie's alterego was named 'Katherine Delongpre'

(sorry if anything was already mentioned. half asleep and too lazy to read every post.)
Thank you for that. That was beautifully put. That was the updaate I was waiting for .
Old 10-24-2013, 08:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i am liking this season but i think the stevie references are just so out of place here it just doesnt fit with the vibe of the show. if they want to play the music that is fine with me but misty yapping about stevie is just very strange.
i also found last night's episode to be a little too much but then again i have watched all the seasons of this show so far and they are all f-ed up so i guess i cant expect it to stop -ha!!
i hope somehow emma roberts comes back too because i thought she was really good. i found more info here regarding her on the show:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/10/24/am...mma-roberts-2/

Last edited by kak125; 10-24-2013 at 08:09 AM..
Old 10-24-2013, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

These were the Stevie references I saw and heard.

Delongpre was one of the past superior witches.

The 7 wonders reference

The superior that Fiona was talking too was named Anna Lee

I thought young Fiona looked alot like Stevie.

Did anyone notice the Stevie posters in the scene with Misty?

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 10-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

ok, now that I'm sober, I can reflect...

How does ????????? go from a Virgin to Miss Bestiality in one episode. Huh? This may turn into last season. And the incest thing, so unnecessary, it was just put in for shock value.

Love Emma Roberts, Kathy Bates and Fiona... The way they use Kathy Bates to make observations about the present is really good. Crying over Obama. Did not see that coming but laughed my head off. The scenes with Emma and Fiona were just great!!!!!

Lily Rabe - her character is turning out to be the most intriguing. She is the perfect obsessed Stevie fan. She uses her music as an escape and crutch.

Angela Bassett feels like a voodoo queen stereotype or something. She has lived longer than Fiona. She should be more thoughtful. Is Angela Bassett supposed to be the bad guy? Feels like Fiona should be evil one. Obviously Mr. Minotaur is this year's Bloodyface. There feels like there is something under the surface of Angela's character that they will NOT show this season.

Are they going to give Nan something to do? She has an interesting character but it doesn't feel like she is going to be utilized. I hope we are in for a big surprise.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

so have you guys been paying attention to sales, Sara was charting so was fleetwood macs greatest hits and Stevies greatest hits, it's helping them
Old 10-24-2013, 07:37 PM
Junior Ledgie

Just saw the GIFS from last nights episode. Courtesy of the AHS Tumblr.

Sara scene:
http://ahs-covenant.tumblr.com/post/...-a-minute-baby

Misty twirling:
http://ahs-covenant.tumblr.com/post/64972246859

(Sorry the size of the GIFS were too large to upload)
Old 10-24-2013, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've posted the clips of the scenes in which the songs are played. I'll continue to update this page as the episodes air.

http://stevie-nicks.info/2013/10/24/...s-music-recap/
Old 10-25-2013, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
I've posted the clips of the scenes in which the songs are played. I'll continue to update this page as the episodes air.

http://stevie-nicks.info/2013/10/24/...s-music-recap/
Wow. This is great promotion for our Queen.