The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Pick 2 albums that represent Stevie at her very best!
'75 Fleetwood Mac 20 25.00%
Rumours 56 70.00%
Tusk 64 80.00%
Mirage 9 11.25%
Tango in the Night 2 2.50%
Behind the Mask (including all Post-Rumours) 3 3.75%
Say You Will 15 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Don't get me started about Tango in the Night as I'd rather forget that one.
Poor ol' Tango-era Stevie. I really want to be in her corner for that album, but then on WISYA she's all "WHASSAMATTAHBAYBEHHH!?!?!?!?" and I'm like "Yeah... This shouldn't exist". Although I think Lindsey's vocals at the end of the song indicate that there is a good song in there somewhere.

I like WTTRS okay. I think it'd have been easier to accept as a TOSOTM filler-track, and it isn't really worse than a lot of the songs on the b-side of Tango. But as one of only two Nicks-penned songs in the first Mac album for 5 years, it's pretty dire.

Truth time? I've never gotten the fuss about Dreams. I mean, it's a good song, but it's a bit hyped up, isn't it? Am I insane? And Silver Springs was sold to me by the incredible performance in The Dance, but melody-wise it's never been one of my favourites either. Much as I do like those songs, and the rest of her offerings from that era, Rumours would have probably been my 5th choice on this poll.

Last edited by Dex; 05-26-2013 at 11:14 AM..
Old 05-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

But what about Gold Dust Woman? There seems to be a consensus among a few users in this thread that it is not only one of Stevie's most iconic songs, but it's probably the greatest song Stevie wrote. I think that one and The Chain should place Rumours much higher than fifth, right!?!
Old 05-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I voted for Rumours and Tusk, but the 1975 álbum is also a great Stevie work.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
But what about Gold Dust Woman? There seems to be a consensus among a few users in this thread that it is not only one of Stevie's most iconic songs, but it's probably the greatest song Stevie wrote. I think that one and The Chain should place Rumours much higher than fifth, right!?!
5th is still very good! If I ranked all of these, my top 5 would hang very close together. And yes, Gold Dust Woman is fabulous. The lyrics to The Chain are also fabulous. I'm not denying either of those things. But nope, 5th it is. I think the Rhiannon/Landslide/Crystal triptych clearly beats the Rumours stuff. I'm amazed and a little sad that the White Album has gotten so few votes.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Stevie was actually underutilized on the White Album. It probably has to do with her having far less of a say, understandably, in the creative decisions. Rhiannon's definitely the most important song of the three. I'm still wondering whether Stevie was forced to hand Crystal over to Lindsey for his vocal or if the band enjoyed his sound from Buckingham Nicks. I would love to hear what Stevie's 1975 voice would sound like singing that song. I prefer Lindsey's vocal when comparing to Stevie's Practical Magic version.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It's possible that they didn't want the '75 album to have too much of a feminine presence, so kept the Lindsey vocals. But as you said, he recorded it for BN as well, so I'm inclined to think that's just what she had in mind for it. I like her 90s version of the song very much, but I don't think her '75 vocals would've suited the song nearly as well as Lindsey's did at the time.

I think Stevie was underutilized on most of the Mac albums she's been on, Mirage, Rumours, and White Album alike, but that's me just being a chiffonhead. She's always sort of been the awkward-fit bonus-member of Fleetwood Mac, to me. And I love her for that.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Landslide and Rhiannon are the biggest and the most defining songs of SN's career, for a casual fan or listener. even diehard SN fans here argue that all the time, how important those songs are for her and FM.

so i'm kinda shocked that White Album is getting so little votes here.

personally, there are 3 SN songs i love - Landslide, Gold Dust Woman and Sisters of the Moon. i think Stevie really was at her songwriting pinnacle during later BN years, when they were working on their second album (time when Landslide and Rhiannon were penned), and she never quite reached that productivity since (i'm talking lyrics and music, not solely lyrics/poems) except maybe during Tusk years. SOTM, Angel, BC are all great songs in their own right, and they are also very diverse.

so White Album and Tusk it is.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Going with the majority opinion on Tusk. Her material there is simply the best she's ever done.

The second choice is more difficult. Tango and SYW are easy to eliminate. Clunky lyrics, uninspired vocals, etc. I like a *few* of her songs on SYW, but Lindsey is much stronger to me on that album.

Mirage, of course, offers "Gypsy," which could be the finest recording from the Rumours incarnation. I personally adore "That's Alright," and "Straight Back" is a good song, but I hesitate to rank them among her very best work.

So that leaves Rumours and the white album. It would be easy to choose Rumours. "Gold Dust Woman" is magical and "Dreams" is a wonderful pop song. IDWTK is a really fun song, and IMO fits on the album better than "Silver Springs" would have. I think "Silver Springs" emerged at its right time.

You know, I'll go with the white album. "Landslide" is her most timeless song, and the one she'll be remembered for. "Rhiannon" was the great beginning. And she wrote a beautiful, pure love song in "Crystal."

Last edited by GypsySorcerer; 05-26-2013 at 01:33 PM..
Old 05-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think Stevie was actually underutilized on the White Album. It probably has to do with her having far less of a say, understandably, in the creative decisions. Rhiannon's definitely the most important song of the three. I'm still wondering whether Stevie was forced to hand Crystal over to Lindsey for his vocal or if the band enjoyed his sound from Buckingham Nicks. I would love to hear what Stevie's 1975 voice would sound like singing that song. I prefer Lindsey's vocal when comparing to Stevie's Practical Magic version.
I agree. Although her harmonies are prevalent here and there, the album could've used at least one more lead from her and there was room for another track. My vote would be Sorcerer, (oh how great it would be if a take from that time period ever surfaced )it would fit nicely around So Afraid, Sugar Daddy on Side one before Crystal.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting replies regarding Stevie's limited presence on '75 FM. She only carries lead vocal on two songs with Lindsey lead on Crystal. I guess with Stevie being the new "unwanted" member she got what she could fight for. Rhiannon and Landslide are two of Stevie's best songs - Mac or solo.

Rumours has Mac's only #1 hit, Dreams, the very strong live versions of Gold Dust Woman, the poppy I Don't Want to Know, and Silver Springs - the resurrected favorite.

Tusk has a very strong core of five songs from Stevie that give a more rounded picture of what Stevie Nicks was at the time within FM.

Mirage has what I consider Stevie's best song, vocally - Gypsy.

Tango in the Night has Seven Wonders, which is a good song, but WTTRS and WISYA bring this album down.

Behind the Mask - no comment.

Say You Will - I almost forgot to include it on this poll.

Tusk is my first choice, the second one is actually tied between Rumours and Mirage. Stevie's voice was best during the Tusk-Bella Donna-Mirage era.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think The Chain should be counted as one of Stevie's songs on Rumours, as her lyrics add so much to that song.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
Well, I doubt she was forced to hand it over to Lindsey. He already sang lead on it when they did it before so it makes sense that since they were essentially recreating that version, he would sing lead again.

Has she ever been asked why he did the vocal in the first place? I can't really recall. I feel like I've heard her say that she just thought he sounded good singing it, but I'm not sure if I completely made that up, or if that was said regarding something else (maybe Frozen Love?).
Old 05-26-2013, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I had to go with FM and Tusk. Tusk is obvious, I think.

FM had 3 stellar songs, 2 which were career defining songs - Crystal, Rhiannon and Landslide. As much as I love GDW on Rumours, the other two SN tracks - Dreams and IDWTK do not touch the 3 on FM.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
I had to go with FM and Tusk. Tusk is obvious, I think.

FM had 3 stellar songs, 2 which were career defining songs - Crystal, Rhiannon and Landslide. As much as I love GDW on Rumours, the other two SN tracks - Dreams and IDWTK do not touch the 3 on FM.
hey we agree!!?!?

i'm with you on almost every word... what's the world coming to?!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-26-2013, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post

Has she ever been asked why he did the vocal in the first place? I can't really recall. I feel like I've heard her say that she just thought he sounded good singing it, but I'm not sure if I completely made that up, or if that was said regarding something else (maybe Frozen Love?).
Yes, she did say that. That he just really sounded better singing it. Actually though, I could stand for her to go into more detail about it.

Michele
Closed Thread