Old 05-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default FM playlist: best songs of BN era

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...nicks-era.html

Fleetwood Mac playlist: Best songs of Buckingham-Nicks era
By Jason P. Woodbury

Special for the Republic | azcentral.com
Tue May 28, 2013 10:21 AM

For nearly five decades, the name Fleetwood Mac has served varying lineups. Although they started with Peter Green in England, Fleetwood Mac hit their stride in the 1970s, when the lineup of Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood scored a string of worldwide pop hits. From 1975-1987, the fivesome swapped partners and melodies, defining the sound of adult contemporary pop and tip-toeing into the genres of New Wave, hard rock and folk along the way. Here are the 10 best moments of their ’75-’87 era.

Details: 8 p.m. Thursday, May 30. US Airways Center, Second and Jefferson streets, Phoenix. $44.75-$144.75. 602-379-7800, livenation.com.

10. “Little Lies”

1987’s “Tango in the Night” was the last record to feature the line-up of Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood, and aided by charting singles like “Big Love,” “Everywhere,” and “Seven Wonders,” it was their second-best-selling record. “Little Lies” was not only the album’s biggest hit, but also its best song. Over a lush bed of Fleetwood’s taut drums, washes of synth and sashaying guitars, Christine McVie takes the lead vocal, with Nicks and Buckingham adding bursts of their signature vocal styles. It’s Fleetwood Mac at their “mature pop” height, one sublime pop song right before the train they boarded with their 1975 self-titled LP derailed.

9. “I’m So Afraid”

Although fans of Fleetwood Mac’s pre-Buckingham/Nicks era might bemoan the pop direction they took upon the duo’s arrival, “I’m So Afraid,” which closed their 1975 LP — the first to feature Buckingham and Nicks — is as tense and dark as anything they did with Danny Kirwan, and it taps into the same mystic blues vein that Peter Green did. Penned by Buckingham, there aren’t many more moments in the ’75-’87 catalog that find the guitarist’s playing so unrestrained; as he cuts loose searing leads in the song’s final movements, the song almost seems to prophesy the looming pains that would come with Fleetwood Mac’s success, the heartbreak, infidelities and substance abuse.

8. “Sara”

While 1979’s “Tusk” is generally regarded as Fleetwood Mac’s most off-kilter album — owing much to Buckingham’s fascination with New Wave and punk artists like Talking Heads and the Clash — that doesn’t mean that McVie and Nicks don’t get plenty of material in (it’s a double album, after all). “Sara,” penned by Nicks, closes the end of side A, following one of Buckingham’s more sedate, but still plenty strange, numbers on the album, “Save Me a Place.” “Sara” serves as a reminder of the band’s ability to set a mood. Over John McVie’s nimble bass line, Nicks croons, “Drowning in a sea of love, where everyone would love to drown.” It’s the sort of romantic melancholy Nicks specializes in, a calming counterpart to Buckingham’s more deranged (and excellent) songs on the album.

7. “Hold Me”

After the experimental fervor of “Tusk” and the solo debuts of both Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, 1982’s “Mirage” found Fleetwood Mac heading to Château d’Hérouville (which Elton John charmingly called the “Honky Chateau”) to get back into hit-making mode. “Hold Me” is the biggest of those hits, peaking at #4 on the Billboard Pop Chart. The interplay between Christine McVie and Buckingham is priceless; the former takes one of her sultriest leads while the latter provides a sneaky harmony and a selection of whoops and holler.

6. “Not That Funny”

The New Wave and punk affectations of 1979’s “Tusk” might have confused listeners and upset the folks at the record company at the time, but its quirky qualities have earned it a cult following in the following years, with fans like Tame Impala, Wolf Parade and Animal Collective proudly trumpeting its fusion of soft rock and avant garde weirdness. “Not That Funny” isn’t the most out-there song on the record (that title goes the marching band title track), but it is the most unhinged, with Buckingham losing it over crunchy guitars and some of the best drums Fleetwood ever recorded.

5. "The Chain"

In many ways, the cohesion of “The Chain” is baffling. The song is composed of elements written by every member of the band. McVie, Nicks and Buckingham deliver its emotional content lyrically during the verses (some of Nicks’ fiercest lines), but the romantic anger is really sold by the song’s instrumental outro, a jam crafted by John McVie and Mick Fleetwood. John McVie’s bass rumble is one of the most recognizable moments in ’70s rock, an ominous progression that gives way to manic guitar from Buckingham and driving, meditative twack from Fleetwood.

4. "Rhiannon"

Stevie Nicks’ witchy ways may have freaked out more conservative listeners, but there’s no denying the mystic energy of this single from Fleetwood Mac’s 1975’s self-titled album. Nicks wrote “Rhiannon” before joining, and while the song clearly belongs to Nicks, it’s hard to imagine it without the chorusing harmonies provided by Fleetwood Mac’s other vocalists. For a real trip, dig up the Waylon Jennings version of the song (released on 1985’s “Turn the Page”). The Outlaw employs nearly identical harmonies during the shuffling chorus.

3. "Think About Me"

Christine McVie is the most unheralded element in the classic Fleetwood Mac line-up (her absence in the reunion tours is most noticeable). McVie was always able to add shots of cheery romance at crucial moments. “You Make Loving Fun” provides some necessary levity to the brutal “Rumours,” while “Think About Me” gives “Tusk” some pop-driven juice. It’s not lightweight either; in many ways it sounds like McVie’s attempt at a power pop song, and it succeeds on the merits of her stellar lyrics and hooky chorus (in which Buckingham gets to do what he does best, too).

2. "Gypsy"

Although the strife of the Buckingham/Nicks relationship ending is often credited for creating the emotional resonance of Fleetwood Mac’s best material, “Gypsy” is a success that sweetly flies in the face of that notion. Over a gentle McVie/Fleetwood rhythm, Nicks looks back on her early days with Buckingham with nostalgia. “It all comes down to you, you that it does,” Nicks sings. “Lightning strikes, maybe once, maybe twice.” (The song also looks back on the friendship between Nicks and her high school friend Robin Snyder Anderson.) The tension between Buckingham and Nicks continued to exist in the studio and on the road, but that doesn’t stop this song from existing as a powerful love letter to the feelings they shared.

1. “Go Your Own Way”

It’s temping to sum up the ’75-’87 incarnation of Fleetwood Mac’s catalog with the opening lyric of “Go Your Own Way”: “Loving you isn’t the right thing to do.” But it’s even easier to sum up the band’s catalog with the musical content of this tune, its hard driving rhythm and golden harmonies, a hard rock anthem with soft rock style. It doesn’t matter how many times they play this one on the radio – it always sounds vital.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm so pleasantly surprised to see "Think About Me" on this list (and so high), but I would put a lot of other CM songs ahead of "Little Lies" and "Hold Me."

JMHO, let the slings and arrows fly.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Love Think About Me. Glad it made it.

Shocked Landslide isn't up there.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

You know, for a 10-song list (basically an impossible task), this actually does a good job of covering their style and variation in production and songwriting. None of the songs up there are too similar to the others (perhaps Hold Me and Think About Me together are the exception, ditch one of those for Songbird and I'm all in) and they all highlight the members at their best.

I tip my hat to you, azcentral.

Is this an actual playlist where we are meant to listen to the songs in that order? Or is it just a "group" of awesome songs?
Old 05-29-2013, 08:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting list, great writing.
And nice to see something written by a true fan.
I would have traded Think About Me for Love In Store - easily one of
the best songs on Mirage, and one of Christine's sunniest most get-under-your-skin
melodies.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A nice, well-balanced list of Rumours era favorites!

3 Christine - Little Lies, Hold Me, Think About Me
3 Lindsey - I'm So Afraid, Not That Funny, Go Your Own Way
3 Stevie - Sara, Rhiannon, Gypsy
1 ...and The Chain

2 '75 Mac - I'm So Afraid, Rhiannon
2 Rumours - Go Your Own Way, The Chain
3 Tusk - Think About Me, Sara, Not That Funny
2 Mirage - Hold Me, Gypsy
1 TITN - Little Lies

Tusk gets the most with 3 songs!!
Old 05-29-2013, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

One could choose ANY other Christine song as number 10 and you'd have a topnotch list.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
One could choose ANY other Christine song as number 10 and you'd have a topnotch list.
Even the hated Don't Stop?...
Old 05-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Even the hated Don't Stop?...
Oh Don't Stop is a perfect, But hugely overplayed popsong. LL is an irritating, creatitivityless commercial drone with godaweful lyrics. I can't stand it, never did. Everywhere is twice as good, but I'd give it in immediately for Over My Head, Over&over, Never Forget, Brown Eyes, etc...

Old 05-29-2013, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
True. How sad for Christine if that was really one of the 3 top songs she ever wrote.

Michele
Old 05-29-2013, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

no Dreams????? Dfhaslkdfhalsdfhlqiue
whaaaaaaaat????
Old 05-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Broward Palm Beach
http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/co...ngs.php?page=2

Jacuzzi Boys Share Their All-Time Favorite Fleetwood Mac Songs
By Falyn FreymanThu., May 30 2013 at 2:57 PM

Anyone who knows the Jacuzzi Boys knows that Miami's rambunctious kings of glazed-out garage rock are pretty huge fans of Fleetwood Mac. They even named last summer's Saturday night dance party at the Garret after 1979's Tusk, arguably the group's greatest album.

Whether they're chilling at Iggy Pop's, spinning records around the neighborhood, or bringing their high energy live shows across the country (and the pond), you can always count on the Jacuzzi Boys to be somewhere cool, vibing to really great tunes. That's why, in honor of the highly anticipated show coming up at BB&T Center, we asked them to compile a list of their all-time favorite Mac tracks to whet our appetites for next weekend.

Check out Danny, Diego, and Gabriel's top three picks, and don't miss the boys this Friday as they kick off their East to Midwest summer tour at the Fillmore's new mid-sized venue, "Backstage at the Fillmore," in Miami Beach. The show is only 5 bucks, and includes the psychedelic Lake Worth rockers Cop City Chill Pillars and Nerve City.

Danny

1. Think About Me
2. That's All for Everyone
3. You Make Loving Fun

Diego

1. Walk a Thin Line
2. Honey Hi
3. Over and Over

Gabriel

1. What Makes You Think You're the One
2. Not that Funny
3. The Chain
Old 05-30-2013, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Broward Palm Beach
http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/co...ngs.php?page=2

Jacuzzi Boys Share Their All-Time Favorite Fleetwood Mac Songs
By Falyn FreymanThu., May 30 2013 at 2:57 PM

Anyone who knows the Jacuzzi Boys knows that Miami's rambunctious kings of glazed-out garage rock are pretty huge fans of Fleetwood Mac. They even named last summer's Saturday night dance party at the Garret after 1979's Tusk, arguably the group's greatest album.

Whether they're chilling at Iggy Pop's, spinning records around the neighborhood, or bringing their high energy live shows across the country (and the pond), you can always count on the Jacuzzi Boys to be somewhere cool, vibing to really great tunes. That's why, in honor of the highly anticipated show coming up at BB&T Center, we asked them to compile a list of their all-time favorite Mac tracks to whet our appetites for next weekend.

Check out Danny, Diego, and Gabriel's top three picks, and don't miss the boys this Friday as they kick off their East to Midwest summer tour at the Fillmore's new mid-sized venue, "Backstage at the Fillmore," in Miami Beach. The show is only 5 bucks, and includes the psychedelic Lake Worth rockers Cop City Chill Pillars and Nerve City.

Danny

1. Think About Me
2. That's All for Everyone
3. You Make Loving Fun

Diego

1. Walk a Thin Line
2. Honey Hi
3. Over and Over

Gabriel

1. What Makes You Think You're the One
2. Not that Funny
3. The Chain
Lindsey and Christine getting all the love here. Also 7 of 9 from Tusk and 2 from Rumours.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
Lindsey and Christine getting all the love here. Also 7 of 9 from Tusk and 2 from Rumours.
Yes, I did think it interesting and refreshing that they all loved Tusk so much.

Michele
Old 05-31-2013, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

FM songs from BIG 100.3 2013 Memorial Day list:

http://www.thebigdc.com/main.html

2013 BIG 500 Memorial Day Countdown

BIG 100.3's Top 500 Rock & Roll songs of all time. You sent us your requests and voted for your favorites. Here's the list!

486 Gypsy Fleetwood Mac
457 Monday Morning Fleetwood Mac
360 Second Hand News Fleetwood Mac
353 Don't Stop Fleetwood Mac
348 Say You Love Me Fleetwood Mac
344 I Don't Want To Know Fleetwood Mac
272 The Chain Fleetwood Mac
245 Gold Dust Woman Fleetwood Mac
224 Rhiannon Fleetwood Mac
195 Landslide (Live 97) Fleetwood Mac
128 Dreams Fleetwood Mac
47 Go Your Own Way Fleetwood Mac

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"