User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 10-02-2017, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm devastated. Tom was and still is one of my favorite artists of all time. Right behind FM and Stevie. I was just having a "marathon" so to speak of his music the other day. I was dancing and singing and in the best mood. I never thought he would leave us so suddenly. His death has hit me harder than any other artist. I regret not going to see him on this last tour so much. It was close to finals time and I didn't want to miss school. Never imagined that would be my last chance. He was so talented, and his music was some of the best in rock history. I cried so hard earlier today when the news first broke. Then, I had a small glimmer of hope that he would pull through, even though it was inevitable. The greatest musicians of our time our leaving before our very eyes. Make every moment count. Goodbye Tom, thank you for the music.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellee View Post
Stop being so divisive. Everyone will miss TP in their own way.
Amen! There's no one way to mourn and we do not all suffer the same. RIP, Tom Petty. What a loss.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Tom Petty and Stevie Nicks: Remembering their decades-long friendship
The two performed together for the last time back in July

POSTED ON OCTOBER 3, 2017 AT 12:47AM EDT

http://ew.com/music/2017/10/03/tom-petty-stevie-nicks/
Old 10-03-2017, 01:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That’s a sad shame. RIP Tom. His Rolling Stone interview last year for the 40th anniversary tour was almost prophetic. He looked like the road was starting to wear him down. They played a lot of dates. I wish these old guys would just stop touring.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertangel View Post
I wish these old guys would just stop touring.
That might kill them, too. Seriously. A lot of musicians(like Mick!) live for it. They feel lost without it.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

His biographer said this in an interview in Salon magazine:

The relationship between Stevie Nicks and Tom seems complicated. Were they a couple? Co-workers? Friends?

I pushed on this question, saying to him, after he told me they weren’t a couple, “You sure sound like a couple.” Tom looked at me and said, “We had our times.”

https://www.salon.com/2015/12/13/bei...apher_partner/

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 10-03-2017 at 01:19 AM..
Old 10-03-2017, 05:02 AM

Tom Petty: death of singer after cardiac arrest confirmed by manager
Manager Tony Dimitriades says Petty died on Monday night in Los Angeles after he suffered a cardiac arrest

Tom Petty, the rock musician whose hits included American Girl and I Won’t Back Down, has died in California aged 66 after suffering cardiac arrest.

Petty was reportedly rushed to the UCLA Santa Monica hospital after being found unconscious in his Malibu home, but could not be revived.

“We are devastated to announce the untimely death of our father, husband, brother, leader and friend Tom Petty,” his manager Tony Dimitriades said on behalf of the family.

“He died peacefully at 8.40pm surrounded by family, his bandmates and friends.”

The singer-songwriter and guitarist gained fame in the late 1970s with his band the Heartbreakers, who were seen as an integral part of the heartland rock movement.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which inducted Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in 2002, praised them as “durable, resourceful, hard-working, likeable and unpretentious”.

Petty was originally part of country rock band Mudcrutch, which gained regional popularity in Florida but did not attract a mainstream audience. They split after Petty and other members joined the Heartbreakers, later reforming in 2007.

In 1977 the new outfit gained success with the song Breakdown, but it was their second album You’re Gonna Get It! that became a Top 40 hit.

Throughout the 80s, the band enjoyed major hits including You Got Lucky and Change of Heart, collaborating with Bob Dylan as well as Stevie Nicks. Petty continued to work with Dylan as part of the Traveling Wilburys, alongside Roy Orbison, George Harrison and Jeff Lynne.

“It’s shocking, crushing news,” Bob Dylan told Rolling Stone in a statement. “I thought the world of Tom. He was great performer, full of the light, a friend, and I’ll never forget him.”

Petty also enjoyed solo success but always returned to the Heartbreakers, releasing their final album in 2014. “I don’t see that I have anything to offer as a solo artist that I couldn’t do within the group better,” he told the Sun. “We get along so well it’s embarrassing really. It’s a love fest!”

The band had been on a 40th anniversary tour since April that finished last week at the Hollywood Bowl. In an interview with Rolling Stone in December, he suggested it would probably be his last.

“We’re all on the backside of our 60s,” he said. “I have a granddaughter now I’d like to see as much as I can. I don’t want to spend my life on the road. This tour will take me away for four months. With a little kid, that’s a lot of time.”

Petty was outspoken in his protection of the rights of artists, taking issue with record companies on a number of occasions about what he believed to be unjust practices. Earlier this year he was named MusiCares person of the year for his “career-long interest in defending artists’ rights” as well as for his charitable work with homeless people in Los Angeles.

Throughout his career, he sold more than 80m records worldwide.

Florida-born Petty caught the rock’n’roll bug after he was introduced by his uncle to Elvis Presley, who was shooting the picture Follow That Dream on location in Florida in 1960.

He said he began working on music in earnest after seeing the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show in February 1964.

He would speak of being consumed by rock music since childhood, to the point where his father, whom Petty would later say beat him savagely, thought he was “mental.”

Awed by the chiming guitars of the Byrds, the melodic genius of the Beatles and the snarling lyrics of Dylan, he was amazed to find that other kids were feeling the same way. “You’d go and see some other kid whose hair was long, this was around 65, and go, ‘Wow, there’s one like me,’ “ he said in 1989. “You’d go over and talk and he’d say, ‘I’ve got a drum set.’ ‘You do? Great!’ That was my whole life.”

Amid his successes, Petty also suffered dark periods during a career spanning five decades.

A 2015 biography of the singer, Petty: The Biography, revealed his heroin addiction in the 1990s.

Author Warren Zanes said in an interview with the Washington Post Petty succumbed to the drug because he “had encounters with people who did heroin, and he hit a point in his life when he did not know what to do with the pain he was feeling”.

Petty also suffered from depression, channelling his pain into 1999’s Echo, during which he was also dealing with a divorce. In 2002, he married Dana York and said he had been in therapy for six years to deal with depression.

“It’s a funny disease because it takes you a long time to really come to terms with the fact that you’re sick – medically sick, you’re not just suddenly going out of your mind,” he said at the time.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...s-heart-attack
Old 10-03-2017, 06:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[CODE[/CODE]

He's gone, there will be no miracles forthcoming this time.
My sincere thoughts go to his family, friends and fans, this was truly unexpected and a shock.
Yes, I think of Stevie too as I know they were close for many years and she even wanted to BE a Heartbreaker!

To end this on better note, as if that could be done, it can't, but..
Full Moon Fever is a very well mastered cd you can crank and it's loaded with good tunes. I had that and the Wilburys but never followed his career that closely, but I've always respected him. ....and some of those songs really are pretty damn good. I think that's how he would like to be remembered. It was ALL about the music.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Another legend gone....there's no doubt how crushed Stevie must feel.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Absolutely devastated. How absolutely horrible was yesterday? I too regret so much not going to the last tour, I really have no idea why i missed it. You never really think it will be your last chance.

If you need to get your emotions out, I recommend the following songs from the Live Anthology. Just be in a place where you can Ugly Cry.

1. Wildflowers
2. Angel Dream
3. Learning to Fly
4. Southern Accents
5. Square One
6. Alright for Now
Old 10-03-2017, 07:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What a devastating loss to the world. He was a poet. Priest of something. He was a legend. I just saw him in Pittsburgh a few months ago. My husband and I noticed his hands were shaking and we wondered if he was having some health problems. My thoughts are with his family and I bet Stevie was at his bedside. My thoughts are with her also.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 10-03-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
That might kill them, too. Seriously. A lot of musicians(like Mick!) live for it. They feel lost without it.
Exactly, he lived his life doing what he loves. (Right up to the moment). I'm really sad he's gone. This just came out of nowhere.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 10-03-2017 at 10:06 AM..
Old 10-03-2017, 07:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Outside of someone I know in person this is the sadest single death I've yet to hear about (same day as our worst national tragedy since 911, making yesterday one of the worst days I can remember) Its made 10 times sadder that he was so active playing and playing at the height of his game as recently as last week.

So there's the direct sadness over tom petty but I also dont think there's anything remotely wrong with saying this is going to be an unusually painful situation for stevie to handle as well, and I am legit concearned for her. It's not about turning everything about stevie, but other then pettys family and actual members of the heartbreakers I can't think of anyone who will take this harder, or can I think of anyone who could pass that Could be harder on stevie now that her parents are gone.

Yea the prince thing is a little attention grabbing on her part and exaggerated and has always rubbed me the wrong way, but this isn't equivalent to the boy who cried wolf and stevie will have every reason to react however she wants to react to this one.

Not to make light, since I am devestated, it's just how I cope and would be doing the same thing if it was my own relative, but considering she devotes 10 minutes of her current show talking about her prince relationship and he only has anything to do with 1 and a half of her songs and they've never really been seen together publicly, how is she going to play any of her songs without losing it when more then half are either about tom, written with tom, or performed in his danm basement.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 10-03-2017, 08:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Definitely gone too soon. Always had such a great time at all of his shows. He was always so kind and gracious to his audience. Just genuine. I saw Stevie perform with him at one of the shows and I have to say it's one of the times that I had seen her at her happiest when she was on stage with him. My prayers and love go out today to Tom's family, friends, band mates, fans and Stevie. He was one of the greats, and will always be. 💙

Jamie