The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Pick 2 albums that represent Stevie at her very best!
'75 Fleetwood Mac 20 25.00%
Rumours 56 70.00%
Tusk 64 80.00%
Mirage 9 11.25%
Tango in the Night 2 2.50%
Behind the Mask (including all Post-Rumours) 3 3.75%
Say You Will 15 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Of course Tusk and Rumours, but 75' Fleetwood Mac deserves a special mention.
Nothing to say about Rumours, but Tusk has songs like Angel, Sara, and of course, Sisters of the Moon, one of the most representative songs of Stevie, even when they didn't performed it like others...

Mirage has only three (WHY THREE!!!!!) songs, and Gypsy is iconic, but Straight Back is so strong and interesting, and That's Alright is...well, good!
I think it's not the same for TITN. Yes, Seven Wonders, but the rest is an eternal discussion...Anyway, it was a poor work for Stevie.
And nothing about Behind the Mask...
Old 05-27-2013, 01:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Easiest poll to predict the outcome, that I've ever voted on. I wish we could have bet millions on this one.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Considering quite a bit of her later albums were skeletons from the unused songs closet from years gone by...so it is tough to say.

The lyrics to "The Chain"
"I Don't Want To Know"
"Without You"

are all leftover dregs from her pre-Fleetwood Mac days

"Smile At You" (as fantastic as the SYW version is, thanks to John McVie's otherworldly bass playing) wasn't even up for consideration for Mirage

After Tusk her "A" material was saved for her solo albums...the only reason "Gypsy" hit hard was Lindsey's production (the best of his career, IMO).

Although, as time goes on, I seem to have increased appreciation for a few of her BTM tunes ("Freedom" & "Affairs Of The Heart" especially..."The Second Time" still is an abomination on the ears). Even "Paper Doll" has taken many rungs up on the Stevie ladder in my book.

Songwriting wise, her best material came earlier in her career (again IMO), since she keeps using the leftovers from pre-75 thru 78 for songs these days.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
"Smile At You" (as fantastic as the SYW version is, thanks to John McVie's otherworldly bass playing) wasn't even up for consideration for Mirage
She said it was up for consideration, but they decided to go with something less bitter.

Michele
Old 05-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Songwriting wise, her best material came earlier in her career (again IMO), since she keeps using the leftovers from pre-75 thru 78 for songs these days.
Oh definately. I only disagree with you on the fact that her Tuskmaterial was lesser material because Bella Donna was coming up, and she kept her best work for that one. Sara, Angel, Storms, Beautiful Child and Sisters Of The Moon are, especially as contributions to one album, her best streak of tracks EVER.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Sara, Angel, Storms, Beautiful Child and Sisters Of The Moon are, especially as contributions to one album, her best streak of tracks EVER.
I think most fans would agree with you on that. I almost wrote all fans, but then I knew elle would jump in with her wrench.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sara, Angel, Storms, Beautiful Child and Sisters Of The Moon are, especially as contributions to one album, her best streak of tracks EVER.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I think most fans would agree with you on that. I almost wrote all fans, but then I knew elle would jump in with her wrench.
see here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Landslide and Rhiannon are the biggest and the most defining songs of SN's career, for a casual fan or listener. even diehard SN fans here argue that all the time, how important those songs are for her and FM.

so i'm kinda shocked that White Album is getting so little votes here.

personally, there are 3 SN songs i love - Landslide, Gold Dust Woman and Sisters of the Moon. i think Stevie really was at her songwriting pinnacle during later BN years, when they were working on their second album (time when Landslide and Rhiannon were penned), and she never quite reached that productivity since (i'm talking lyrics and music, not solely lyrics/poems) except maybe during Tusk years. SOTM, Angel, BC are all great songs in their own right, and they are also very diverse.

so White Album and Tusk it is.
to conclude, with the exception of Sara (my dislike of which you were probably referring to?), i completely agree with others who rate high her Tusk contributions.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

I must be the only Mac fan who dislikes "Sisters of the Moon" with a passion. To me it's plodding, monotonous, and lacks a melody. "Storms" is one of Stevie's most beautiful songs, and I do like "Sara" (although overrated) and "Angel." But that's not enough for me to put Tusk at the top of my list of Stevie's best material. I gather I'm in the minority, though.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tusk has Beautiful Child. No other album has Beautiful Child, so Tusk represents the very best of Stevie Nicks.

Her other four songs on Tusk are absolutely sublime too.

I really can't decide between Rumours or the White Album for the second choice. But then Say You Will has Thrown Down and Running Through The Garden... and Mirage has Gypsy, and That's Alright is a pretty darned amazing song too.

Probably The White Album, really. Rhiannon and Landslide are a tour de force. Although Rumours has Gold Dust Woman... gaaaah.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Landslide and Rhiannon are the biggest and the most defining songs of SN's career, for a casual fan or listener. even diehard SN fans here argue that all the time, how important those songs are for her and FM.

so i'm kinda shocked that White Album is getting so little votes here.

personally, there are 3 SN songs i love - Landslide, Gold Dust Woman and Sisters of the Moon. i think Stevie really was at her songwriting pinnacle during later BN years, when they were working on their second album (time when Landslide and Rhiannon were penned), and she never quite reached that productivity since (i'm talking lyrics and music, not solely lyrics/poems) except maybe during Tusk years. SOTM, Angel, BC are all great songs in their own right, and they are also very diverse.

so White Album and Tusk it is.
To me, her songs on the White Album are much better as live pieces than they are as studio recordings. Not that the studio recordings are bad - but 9 times out of 10 I'm going to listen to a live version. So I think Rumours as an album experience is a better representation of her best work.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^ Well said. I agree completely, having spent some time listening through the White Album recently. As we said earlier on page 2, Stevie is also underutilized for that album, only giving lead vocals on two songs. I think it's the live versions of Rhiannon and Landslide that most standout, especially since it's the live single of Landslide from The Dance that is the radio staple today. The 1975 recording is almost never heard, so much so that when it was attached to the pony Budweiser commercial it really caught me off guard.

I also don't really understand why some people have failed to mention Dreams along with Gold Dust Woman as a superior contribution from Stevie. The studio version of that song is excellent, and even if you think it has gotten stale over the last few tours, that doesn't take away from how good the song is, how it features the vocals of all three lead singers, and how it captures the lost blues band sounds of Fleetwood Mac in the guitar. For me it resonates much more than the pop song some people on here have reduced it to and remains one of Stevie's best songs.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rumours and Tusk. Tusk for many of the reasons already given. The second choice was trickier, but I had to go with Rumours because it was some of her best material and she sounded especially good on the others' material.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh definately. I only disagree with you on the fact that her Tuskmaterial was lesser material because Bella Donna was coming up, and she kept her best work for that one. Sara, Angel, Storms, Beautiful Child and Sisters Of The Moon are, especially as contributions to one album, her best streak of tracks EVER.
No, no. You misunderstood. I said AFTER Tusk. I probably should've worded it better. Once Bella Donna became a hit, her better songs were kept for her solo albums. (only exception being "Gypsy", but that was due to Lindsey's production, not so much the song itself...from hearing outtakes of early attempts during the Bella Donna sessions).

Could only imagine what full Fleetwood Mac versions of:

If I Were You
Sable On Blond
No Spoken Word
Whole Lotta Trouble (during the BTM lineup?)

would've sounded like.

Even songs she didn't write, like "Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind", have intrigued me as to "how would it have sounded as a Fleetwood Mac song?".
Old 05-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Tusk & SYW

Up front, I'm not a huge fan of some of Lindsey's work on SYW (Murrow Turning Over In His Grave...umm...ok), but the Stevie songs are some of her better recent work. I'd listen to these again before I pop in IYD on the whole. Silver Girl is the lone dud for me. Destiny Rules, Say You Will, and Thrown Down are great. Don't get the griping over Smile At You. Still a good track even if it isn't the demo version. Won't bother saying why Tusk is my other choice as it has been covered by everyone else.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubrick2788 View Post
Up front, I'm not a huge fan of some of Lindsey's work on SYW (Murrow Turning Over In His Grave...umm...ok), but the Stevie songs are some of her better recent work. I'd listen to these again before I pop in IYD on the whole. Silver Girl is the lone dud for me. Destiny Rules, Say You Will, and Thrown Down are great. Don't get the griping over Smile At You. Still a good track even if it isn't the demo version. Won't bother saying why Tusk is my other choice as it has been covered by everyone else.
Ditto this.
Closed Thread