The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I'm writing a paper about Fleetwood Mac and need your help!

I'm taking a class about stagecraft and spectacle in all types of theatre. We have to write a paper about any theatrical presentation of our interest, and my professor and I talked about me doing Fleetwood Mac. He thinks it's an awesome idea. I am interested in writing about the band's stage persona and how many different components of spectacle (primarily costume, lighting, sound and stage decor) contributed to the mystical, medieval feel that they conveyed to their audiences in the late 1970s and early 80s.

I can cite you guys in my paper! So if you've seen Fleetwood Mac in that time period and have anything to contribute, please do. Michele has already directed me towards some really interesting articles but I'm interested in anything and everything you guys have to say.

Also, I get to do a 10-minute presentation on the band with emphasis on the spectacle... so if you have any recommended YouTube clips that correlate with this idea, let me know.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow... you've chosen a tough topic. I am of the opinion that Fleetwood Mac is/was as non-spectacle as they come. Back in their heyday they weren't touring around with big screens, projectors, inflatable pigs, fog machines and lasers. The rhythm section (John, Mick, Christine) seemed to show up at gigs in their street clothes. Lindsey rocked the ki-mano and we all know about Stevie's penchant for Charles Dickens characters. But that's about it as far as costuming is concerned. They never had fancy lighting rigs or props or hydraulic thingamajigs operating hidden doors. The focus was always about the music and the dynamics of the band interactions.

Perhaps the focus should be more on the spectacle of the real-life drama between the band members than merely the visuals? It was almost like reality-theatre; there was always a tension and a degree of angst that I found most intriguing about The Five live- moreso than the color of Stevie's chiffon.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Dani I guess you'll talk about this backdrop and what it added and also the anticipation that began at the first sound of the crickets.

Last edited by michelej1; 10-12-2010 at 12:50 AM..
Old 10-12-2010, 03:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post

Perhaps the focus should be more on the spectacle of the real-life drama between the band members than merely the visuals? It was almost like reality-theatre; there was always a tension and a degree of angst that I found most intriguing about The Five live- moreso than the color of Stevie's chiffon.
You're a genius. Totally using that. It's almost like the mystical elements of the band's performance set the scene for those emotions to be displayed in an unworldly way... normal people don't create tension like that, tension that you can cut with a knife... so it's almost like the dark, witchy sh*t helped pull the audience to a place where normalcy was gone altogether. I don't think Stevie and Lindsey's onstage tension would've had the same affect had they both been in jeans with a plain backdrop behind them. I could be totally off base here but it's just an idea.

And I was going to talk about the minimal spectacle of it all -- there wasn't much, but what was there seems to support my idea (the moon/tree backdrop, Mick and Stevie's dramatic outfits). Question: when did Stevie start hanging crap from her microphone?

Michele -- those pictures are going in my powerpoint that I have to present to the class. You. Are. Awesome. Any other pictures that show the band behaving... uh... "mystically" are very appreciated. I'm definitely showing the end of "Rhiannon" Rosebud.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Wow... you've chosen a tough topic. I am of the opinion that Fleetwood Mac is/was as non-spectacle as they come. Back in their heyday they weren't touring around with big screens, projectors, inflatable pigs, fog machines and lasers. The rhythm section (John, Mick, Christine) seemed to show up at gigs in their street clothes. Lindsey rocked the ki-mano and we all know about Stevie's penchant for Charles Dickens characters. But that's about it as far as costuming is concerned. They never had fancy lighting rigs or props or hydraulic thingamajigs operating hidden doors. The focus was always about the music and the dynamics of the band interactions.

My thoughts exactly. It's hard to make the assignment work just to incorporate Fleetwood Mac because you love them. The only visual thing I remember in all these years as far as the stage setup was during the Behind the Mask Tour. They had this rig with images of masks on it that covered the stage and then rose as the band began to play. That was in 1990 though. Also, didn't they try to use a giant inflatable penguin during the Tusk tour? I think there are photos of that in My 25 Years in Fleetwood Mac?
Old 10-12-2010, 05:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Aargh. I just wrote a great big reply to this thread and IE lost it on me. Ggggr.

Let's try again

The Dance, though I know it's outside your date parameters, springs to mind immediately. Silver Springs is a great example of how Stevie and Lindsey weave an atmosphere both on stage and in the audience through subtle (and perhaps not-so-subtle) gesture and vocals. I think it makes a massive impression on anyone who sees it and demands our curiosity about who these people are and what they've experienced.
Gold Dust Woman and Rhiannon from the same show are great versions of songs that are probably among Stevie's visually strongest. Who can forget the expression on her face and the clenching of her hand during that amazing wail? The dancing with Waddy in recent years and adjustments to the end lyrics are a beautiful evolution of the theme. Similarly, Rhiannon has gone through some reinvention with costume and style, but never too far from the iconic mysticism that made it famous.

I also think of Come, as it was performed on Live in Boston. Lindsey doesn't often "perform" songs with his body (guitarbation doesn't count -- and don't quote that bit, Dani ), except perhaps Oh Well on the Unleashed tour, but his use of gesture and gaze really cemented the atmosphere of Come. It reminds me a lot of I'm So Afraid and I consider it a sort of emotional and musical sequel to that song. Lindsey's presence is so forceful and helps both the sultry, sinister aspects of the song and its wild, explosive side.

Hope that helps
Old 10-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Let me explain something -- spectacle isn't just lights, costume, blah blah blah. My professor doesn't want a paper describing all the lights and special effects of a band, play or movie -- he wants to hear why the spectacle that WAS used benefitted the production as a whole. I think Fleetwood Mac fits that well.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Dani,

Lucky for you there are plenty of professional pictures taken from that era which capture the band's mystique. I like the ones I posted because they show the backdrop in a wide shot, but actually those shots are amateurish and almost make the band seem like a bunch of kids who have converted their parents' garage into a makeshift stage.

Yet, the unadorned simplicity somehow enhances the magic. How do you get so much drama, feeling and intensity out of so little? It's a kind of miracle, not unlike feeding a multitude with a few loaves of bread and several small fish.

Michele
Old 10-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I like the ones I posted because they show the backdrop in a wide shot, but actually those shots are amateurish and almost make the band seem like a bunch of kids who have converted their parents' garage into a makeshift stage.
Heh, they do look a little like a garage band. Here's a more professional shot that shows off the backdrop.

This backdrop's a little different that the usual moon and tree.

Sounds like a great project. I know I always try to mix my personal passions with academia. In fact, I'm writing my history thesis on Loretta Lynn. Do remember to let us read your paper when it's done!
Old 10-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoro View Post
Sounds like a great project. I know I always try to mix my personal passions with academia. In fact, I'm writing my history thesis on Loretta Lynn. Do remember to let us read your paper when it's done!

When I was in college, I did a paper on Sonny Bono's songs. I had to get the topic approved beforehand, because the teacher said he wanted to limit the number of people doing a paper on The Beatles. When I told him my topic, he said he didn't think I had enough material for a full paper. That's because the only thing he knew about Sonny Bono was "I Got You Babe." I did the paper and he wrote that I surprised him and that he had been wrong about the depth of the subject matter.

Michele
Old 10-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wrote a large paper about Stevie's lyrics and feminism for graduate school, and ended up presenting it at a conference. Easily the most fun I ever had writing a paper.

You could probably get an entire paper out of the SOTM Mirage performance...I always thought that the lighting really enhanced an already spectacular performance.

Now, we're in an era of an army of background vocalists/musicians, canned speeches, Stevie's decked-out mic....and the intensity and drama is gone (or at least severely diminished).

Last edited by GypsySorcerer; 10-12-2010 at 08:54 PM..
Old 10-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
I wrote a large paper about Stevie's lyrics and feminism for graduate school, and ended up presenting it at a conference. Easily the most fun I ever had writing a paper.
Oo, do you still have the paper? I'd love to read it. I haven't come across a lot of scholarly examination of Fleetwood Mac, which kind of sucks.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
I'm taking a class about stagecraft and spectacle in all types of theatre. We have to write a paper about any theatrical presentation of our interest, and my professor and I talked about me doing Fleetwood Mac. He thinks it's an awesome idea. I am interested in writing about the band's stage persona and how many different components of spectacle (primarily costume, lighting, sound and stage decor) contributed to the mystical, medieval feel that they conveyed to their audiences in the late 1970s and early 80s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
Let me explain something -- spectacle isn't just lights, costume, blah blah blah. My professor doesn't want a paper describing all the lights and special effects of a band, play or movie -- he wants to hear why the spectacle that WAS used benefitted the production as a whole. I think Fleetwood Mac fits that well.

Sorry, I was responding to what you initially said you were going to focus on, and agreeing with what HejiraNYC said about FM not really being known for those things. As far as spectacle you could also mention Micks drum suit.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Senior Ledgie

I don't have anything to lend to your paper quite yet, however, what a fabulous idea And don't you dare forget to share it with us when you're done.

Quote:

You could probably get an entire paper out of the SOTM Mirage performance...I always thought that the lighting really enhanced an already spectacular performance.

Now, we're in an era of an army of background vocalists/musicians, canned speeches, Stevie's decked-out mic....and the intensity and drama is gone (or at least severely diminished).
I'd like to read it, too
Old 10-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Definitely want to see that!!!

Quote:
I think I'm going to play the last few minutes of that for the class, and maybe a 30-second excerpt from "Rhiannon" Rosebud.