Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-29-2023, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Favorite Deluxe Box Sets

Ok, so far we got all 6 Box set releases from the “5” except for The Dance. What’s your ranking and why?

RUMOURS- I’m including all of them. so many great alt tracks and rarities and I have the 5.1 SS disc. AMAZING!
TUSK- Great alt cd and 5.1 SS. I love all the Tusk versions
MIRAGE- Great alt tracks and 5.1 SS is amazing
TANGO IN THE NiGHT-really gives you a deeper dive in the Buckingham/McVie sound with Stevie’s absence on this album
LiVE- love the added live tracks in an “official release”
FLEETWOOD MAC- the 5.1 SS disc, too bad no lost tracks from this album

Last edited by BLY; 09-29-2023 at 06:22 PM..
Old 09-29-2023, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great discussion! I adore and treasure the deluxe box sets.

Tusk - So much great bonus music. The alternate version of the album is almost as good as the original. The different versions of the song Tusk and IKINW are amazing to hear in how they were developed in the studio. And of course the live tracks. The book where the members discuss each song brought new meaning to the songs is essential as well.

White album - In the last few years it's grown to be my favorite album. It's solid and not too much experimentation in the production. They were so young and fresh. The 3rd disc of live material is great too. And the instrumental of I'm so afraid is enjoyable.

Live - Always been one of my favs. I was worried they wouldn't remaster it. The 3rd disc of live tracks is amazing.

Mirage - It was in desperate need of remastering so it's nice to have. The bonus material is all really nice, but they still didn't include the original cassette version of Straight Back with all the layered vocals. I had been waiting for a clean version of Cool Water for years and they didn't disappoint.

Rumours - I put this near the bottom because they had already released a deluxe edition with some of the same versions and I'm still pretty burnt out on this album. The DVD is nice to have, but it could've had more content and better quality.

Tango - My least favorite album. I never bought the box set but have the 2 CD version. Stevie songs are all pretty dreadful, but are fun to hear once or twice just to be able to scratch my head. lol. The full version of You & I is worth the price, reminds me of something off of Go Insane.
Old 09-30-2023, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My top 2 are the Rumours and Tusk deluxe/expanded editions. Then Mirage and Live. All based on extras (alternate versions, unreleased songs, etc.).

Tango was interesting but those 80s remixes I didn't like. I listened them once and never again.

A special mention to the 25 Years - The Chain box set, where I enjoyed those versions of Gypsy and Isn't it Midnight, plus the CD 4 dedicated to the early years.
Old 09-30-2023, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post

A special mention to the 25 Years - The Chain box set, where I enjoyed those versions of Gypsy and Isn't it Midnight, plus the CD 4 dedicated to the early years.

Yes, plus the official release of Silver Springs on CD and 4 new tracks.
Old 10-01-2023, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mirage is easily the standout for me because the deluxe set makes it sound like an almost completely different album. I like all the other ones. Tango not having a DVD audio disc still is very disappointing.
Old 10-03-2023, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Maybe Tusk is my favorite because of its combination of extensive demos and roughs with two CDs of great live (although, as usual, poor choice of cities). But most of the others are fantastic. Only Tango disappoints me because I feel the extras were a rush job — an entire CD wasted on Jellybean Benitez club mixes is ridiculous.

As for the mastering on all of them, I guess they sound all right, but I still can’t help thinking that the best remastering was on the Very Best Of set, years before — perfect balances and equalization.

No comment on the 1968–74 box because I haven’t heard it extensively.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-05-2023, 09:19 AM

I think I appreciate THE WHITE ALBUM the most.
I love that live concert. And the demos are very cool.
Old 10-05-2023, 06:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

I only have the deluxe edition of ''Tusk'', which is a wonderful collection. The track by track commentary in the liner notes is a welcome edition that I don't think was ever repeated for the other albums. The alternate ''Tusk'' disc is a treat and there are some cool alternate versions of songs that I enjoy, such as "Out on the Road". and the plethora of "I Know I'm Not Wrong" and "Tusk" demos. However, there are a few songs from the 2004 edition that didn't make the transition to the 2015 deluxe version, such as the instrumental version of "That's All For Everyone". I may be in the minority, but I also miss the alternate CD version of "I Know I'm Not Wrong". Considering that they included around seven different mixes of that song on the 2015 album, it's shocking that the complete stereo mix is absent.

While Tusk is the only physical deluxe set I own, I have listened to select tracks from the other deluxe sets on Spotify. Tango in the Night is the one I listen to the most; "Special Kind of Love", the instrumental demo of "Mystified", "Down Endless Street", and "Where We Belong" are highlights. The demo of "Seven Wonders" is also noteworthy for the lack of Lindsey's backing vocals.