User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-09-2004, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default FM mention in Nick Mason interview

Camden New Journal

Nick says: "The main thing a band needs is a good songwriter. We had Syd, then Roger. Fleetwood Mac and Genesis also succeeded because they had more than one writer. But then Roger began to feel resentful, that he was carrying the whole band on his shoulders, and a split became inevitable."
Old 12-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nick also mentioned FM again in a recent radio (BBC2) interview, last month.He said that some band incarnations (ie he was mentioning Pink floyd with Roger Waters) were better than others and said that the present lineup of FM was the best of other versions of FM in the past. Errr...I hope thats not too confusing!!!! ..but I know what he means.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I respect Roger Waters and his input to Pink Floyd immensely, but I do think they are a better live band with David Gilmour running the good ship Floyd..

I always thought Syd Barrett was Floyd's Peter Green and Gilmour is Floyd's Lindsey Buckingham... Not sure where this leaves poor Roger..

Met Nick in October, very nice guy.

p.s. I must say Roger's new songs "To Kill A Child" and "Leaving Beirut" are very good and very moving pieces...
Old 12-10-2004, 06:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Pretty weird! Nick Mason mentions Fleetwood Mac and Genesis in his interviews and in the new Genesis box set (released last week) they mention Fleetwood Mac and Pink Floyd:

"Unusually for a band of such longevity, there is no definitive Genesis album, the way Pink Floyd have 'Dark Side Of The Moon' or Fleetwood Mac have 'Rumours'."

Maybe they all should do a project together! That would be cool!
Old 12-10-2004, 09:05 AM
joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizNicks
"Unusually for a band of such longevity, there is no definitive Genesis album, the way Pink Floyd have 'Dark Side Of The Moon' or Fleetwood Mac have 'Rumours'."

i think the definitive Genesis album is "lamb lies down on broadway". it's an amazing epic.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia
"But then Roger began to feel resentful, that he was carrying the whole band on his shoulders, and a split became inevitable."
That's somewhat funny in the light of the "Waters as dictator" theory, the one that suggests Waters getting rid of his fellow Floydians in songwriting process. After Dark Side Of The Moon Mason was dropped from the credits, after Wish You Were Here it was Wright, after The Wall it was Gilmour. And The Final Cut ain't all that great shakes, if you ask me.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 12-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
i think the definitive Genesis album is "lamb lies down on broadway". it's an amazing epic.
But does anyone know for sure what Peter Gabriel was trying to achieve in the lyrics of that album? People can identify with the drama of Rumours or the simplistic philosophy of Dark Side Of The Moon, but Gabriel's lyrics and puns aren't always as easy to crack.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 12-10-2004, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not sure what could be a "definitive Genesis album"! Most Genesis albums could be defintive Genesis albums

Nursery Cryme: Phil Collins and Steve Hackett join the band
Foxtrot: has Supper's Ready on it (radio friendly rock piece)
The Lamb (what should I say about the Lamb?)
A Trick Of The Tail: Best Genesis album (IMO), right after Gabriel left
And Then There Were Three: first (great) album as a 3-piece
We Can't Dance: Most successful album (6 month on #1 in Germany, most sucessful album in Germany ever)

I think Genesis doesn't have a defintive album, they just got better from album to album (okay, let's forget Calling All Stations for a minute )!
Maybe they should do a last album, along with Pink Floyd o say it is over!

Last edited by WizNicks; 12-10-2004 at 02:34 PM..
Old 12-11-2004, 08:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizNicks
Pretty weird! Nick Mason mentions Fleetwood Mac and Genesis in his interviews and in the new Genesis box set (released last week) they mention Fleetwood Mac and Pink Floyd:
Well..it's quite possible they may all know each other, 3 bands with 3 reasonably well known DRUMMERS, perhaps they all look out for one other who knows, but it's rather nice to speak of the Mac, Floyd and Genesis all in the same sentence.

Last edited by tuigirl; 12-11-2004 at 08:13 AM..