Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-03-2004, 03:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Brian Wilson's Smile

I'm surprised that no one has brought up Smile on the boards.
I've been listening to it a lot lately and am amazed that he was able to keep such a consistent level of genius throughout the whole album.
I also constantly think of Lindsey and I'm sure he was blown away by the whole thing. I'm also reminded of Mirage (and some Tango In The Night) era Christine. It's amazing how much influence Brian had on the band.

I predict at least a few grammys for this album - it is certainly on my list of best of the year (along with Wilco and Sonic Youth).
Old 12-03-2004, 03:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm such a fan of this record! Only got it a week or two and it's all I listen to. Blown away, that's the way to put it. Two days ago BBC showed a documentary on the making of Smile. Was thinking of LB a lot too when watching that. I don't think anyone can be compared to the brilliant Brian Wilson, but I had to think of Tusk somehow. Both BW and LB put a lot of effort in making a great piece of music, but by the time the rest of their bands heard it, the initial reaction was not so enthusiastic. So many years onwards you can't deny how good it is, though.
I wish I'd known, when BW did his concerts in the Netherlands earlier his year, I would've loved to be there..
thanks for bringing this up!
Old 12-03-2004, 07:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

One thing that strikes to my mind when listening to SMiLE, whether in its bootlegged or finished form, is the diversity the album has. Non-diversity is the only critique I can throw at Pet Sounds, that it doesn't change its moods that much. Smile, however, does it a lot.

And that makes it reflective of the general diverse spirit of the '60s, the belief that you could create a new form of music by combining many various influences into one gigantic melting pot. That is the spirit that one can also find in Lindsey's work after Rumours; this idea that a record should reflect the various sides of one's personality.

No one is a true original in any art, not Lindsey Buckingham, not Brian Wilson, not anyone. Smile is clearly inspired by the Beatles, Burt Bacharach, Frank Zappa (the collage-like approach), various substances, etc. [And Tusk was inspired by Wilson, punk, the spirit of '50s rock and roll, etc.] But it creates its own identity out of all this, something that Lindsey has always done too.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 12-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

How come you always post off-topic stuff in the Rumours thread? -_-.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

you know, I thought that this might get the internet-nerd stamp of "off topic" but I decided to post anyway.

It's really OK if we have intelligent conversations about music that's related to Fleetwood Mac on these boards. No one will get hurt, I promise. One could argue that Brian Wilson has had more of an impact on Lindsey Buckingham and therefore his contribution to FM then any other artist.

I thought this discussion might be a refreshing change to say - what Stevie's wearing on stage or the supposed chemistry or lack thereof between LB and Stevie.
I love this band because of their music and that's what I think we should be posting about. If posting some thought about Brian Wilson feels off-topic to a Fleetwood Mac discussion then maybe it's time you listened to some of his work. (There are actually recorded tracks by Brian Wilson with Lindsey guesting available for our listening pleasure - so even if you don't know about the relationship and influence, I'd say it's still valid to bring it up in here).

Just my two cents....
Old 12-03-2004, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown
you know, I thought that this might get the internet-nerd stamp of "off topic" but I decided to post anyway.

It's really OK if we have intelligent conversations about music that's related to Fleetwood Mac on these boards. No one will get hurt, I promise. One could argue that Brian Wilson has had more of an impact on Lindsey Buckingham and therefore his contribution to FM then any other artist.

I thought this discussion might be a refreshing change to say - what Stevie's wearing on stage or the supposed chemistry or lack thereof between LB and Stevie.
I love this band because of their music and that's what I think we should be posting about. If posting some thought about Brian Wilson feels off-topic to a Fleetwood Mac discussion then maybe it's time you listened to some of his work. (There are actually recorded tracks by Brian Wilson with Lindsey guesting available for our listening pleasure - so even if you don't know about the relationship and influence, I'd say it's still valid to bring it up in here).

Just my two cents....
I never understand why people mind when people post "off topic"

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 12-03-2004, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

there is no problem with posting off topic post. Several non-"what is stevie wearing" threads take place everyday here on the Ledge, on a little board called chit-chat designed for Off-topic posts. I don't mind off-topic posts, but it would be nice to get them in the right forum.

Michael

"My songs don't get recorded unless I know they're really going to be good and I'm really going to like them ...so....but they are, you know, ultimately, slightly looney." -Stevie Nicks
Old 12-03-2004, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoetinmyhear
there is no problem with posting off topic post. Several non-"what is stevie wearing" threads take place everyday here on the Ledge, on a little board called chit-chat designed for Off-topic posts. I don't mind off-topic posts, but it would be nice to get them in the right forum.

Michael
right. I guess i don't use the forum names as a close structural guide. If I start reading something, and then don't want to, I just stop. But i guess some people just check certain forums or something.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -